1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How "Separate" is Biblical Separation?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's focus on PERSONAL SEPARATION (not for church, ecumenical, political).

(1) What is your position on PERSONAL separation from the world? Can you put it in a paragraph, not a doctoral dissertation?

(2) What is the SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT that undergirds your personal separation? Give a few verses that directly relate.

If this works, we will start one on ECCLESIASTICAL SEPARATION tomorrow! ;)

2. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we talking about primary or secondary separation here? [​IMG]

3. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Looks like no one else has taken a stab at this and I hope that I don't answer the wrong question. [​IMG]

Personal separation from the world.
    Titus 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

I am very careful of what my eyes see, and what my ears hear. Television is almost non existant for me. Home and Garden and the Weather channel are just about it. I listen to the words of songs now, and I don't listen to music that is not godly. I don't gossip and when someone else does I usually find something else to do. My Pastor once said that if some one is gossiping and you cant get them to change the subject try asking them to pray for the person that they need to talk about. That usually works. I do try to listen to people in need and pray with them about their situation.

And no matter how hard I try, there are still times when I fall in to thinking about sinful things. My only defence then is prayer and reading the word.

I hope that I answered the right question and that I was not too simplistic. I try to not strain at knats and swallow camels.

Rosa

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Wow, can't believe this hasn't taken off yet!
    Ok, but when it changes from personal I'm runnin', lol! (J/K) (maybe)

Hmmm. Guess it needs to be worked on! It SOUNDED like it was going to be easy to answer until I started typing! It's far to easy to think it's ok to just be like the world and do the same things and think I can handle it because I'm a Christian and it's not going to effect me like it does THEM.
    Yuck. How childish and ignorant is that? :(
    Gina

5. Barnabas H.

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason I asked for clarification on the question if it meant primary or secondary separation is that many IFB churches teach secondary separation as a general rule. They take the primary separation for granted but their emphasis is on the secondary separation. Now someone may ask, what is the difference? Well, I am glad you asked that question. Here are the answers for these two prevailing views, as I understand them:

1. The Bible teach us primary separation from worldly things but not the world itself, otherwise how could we witness for the Lord and lead people to Christ? Bible verses to support this primary separation (to name a few): John 17:15, 16; 1 Corinthians 5:9-11; James 1:27

2. Now as I said, some IFB churches teach the secondary separation from all Evangelical churches, including many Baptists they do not agree with or have a gripe against. They use primarily the following Bible reference: 2 Corinthians 6:14-17. [​IMG]

6. Brian

Brian New Member

I thought that it would be easier as well. And I guess it might be impossible to have a blanket policy that covers every thing. What I try to do if I have any doubt about what I am doing is to stop and pray about it and then move on in the direction the Lord leads. (If I were perfect I would always do this :( )
    I keep coming back to Romans 14 where Paul teaches about this kind of stuff. How all things are leagal and nothing is evil in itself. However not to do anything that might cause a weaker brother to stumble. So how seperate can you get? To not offend any one you need to live in a cave in a cliff somewhere. And that isn't any real garauntee. Also how close do you get to Go ye therefore and Preach the Gospel? Jesus did indeed go to where the sinners were to preach the Kindom of God.
    So I guess I'm saying I don't know how sepreate we should be. Like most things in life it's case by case. You can what if this and what if that until Christ comes and not really answer this one.

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: Brian G ]

7. ddavis

ddavis New Member

well to me in my limited understanding of things, we're to be Christ-like and that seperates on its own. so like the saying says "what would Jesus do"? to me it comes down to our testemony and as christians thats what others look at how we act, talk and walk. so you should wont to seperate from the "things" of this world to follow the "things" of the one that saved us. :D

8. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

I’m thinking of not paying my Taxes :D

Seriously I’m stuck in this world but I don’t have to be of this world. I stay away from hypocrisy like the Roman Catholics and Armenians (Rom 16:17,18) I keep away from the easybelieveism BAPTIST because we are told “… preach any other gospel… let him be accursed” (Gal 1:8) I guess that would be classified as ECCLESIASTICAL SEPARATION so I’ll give it another try.

Personal separation isn’t a laundry list of things you don’t do. It’s a matter of who you follow.

The world walks according to the lust of the flesh, the pride of life, according to the cores of this world.

The Church walks according faith, we are led of the spirit (Gal 5:18) we are not in darkens, we have light.

The other night, I stayed up late when I decided to go to bed I turned off the light and then realized that I would have to walk across the house in complete darkness. I figured “I know where everything is and I’m a grown man, I can do this” after a walked into the wall, it came to me “this is what it was like before I got saved” I could get by but I couldn’t see!

During the Gulf War, I didn’t know the Lord, I remember being torn up, what would happen? DARKNESS

Now I see all that is happening in the world, but it doesn’t get to me. I know what will happen and I know who is in control. LIGHT

I start to do something, go somewhere, watch a certain TV show etc. but stop because I can see now.

This is an interesting peace of information. When the old timers had a mule that wouldn’t stop when they said wooow, they would put a sack over its head and let it walk into the barn wall. Just before the mule hit the wall the old timer would say “WOOW” most mules would learn after one or two times.

9. Barnabas H.

Faith:
    Baptist
    Larry, I loved your illustration! [​IMG]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry: This is an interesting peace of information. When the old timers had a mule that wouldn’t stop when they said wooow, they would put a sack over its head and let it walk into the barn wall. Just before the mule hit the wall the old timer would say "WOOW" most mules would learn after one or two times.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

10. Pioneer

Pioneer Guest

How do I define personal separation?

There are 3 Biblical principles that I use:

#1 - Identity - I am to be identified with Christ not the world. My life is to be a demonstration of that identity. Matt. 5:16

#2 - Distinction - I am to be set apart (separated) from this world (its system and its characteristics). Rom. 12:1,2

#3 - Conformity - I am to conform my life to the life of Christ. Gal. 2:20, 2 Cor 3:18

Bro. Steve Smith

11. Natan'el Bar Tholmai

Galatians 5:19ff <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That would surely be a starting place for "personal separation".

Also I Cor. 6:9 <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexuals nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Are there other "grocery lists" that are 100% BIBLE (not man's fables like "don't wear pants") that could be used as a scaffolding to help a new believer build a life of separation from the world?

I think the Bible has general principles AND practical helps in this matter.

12. S. Baptist

S. Baptist New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Bob Griffin:
    Let's focus on PERSONAL SEPARATION (not for church, ecumenical, political).

(1) What is your position on PERSONAL separation from the world? Can you put it in a paragraph, not a doctoral dissertation?

(2) What is the SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT that undergirds your personal separation? Give a few verses that directly relate.

If this works, we will start one on ECCLESIASTICAL SEPARATION tomorrow! ;)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch
    not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Being "separate", to me, means not participating "with the world" in the "things of the world".

The world "loves it's own" ( Joh 15:19 ) and all who will participate with it.

If you "condemn their sin", it isn't "Politically Correct".

Participating isn't restricted to "physical participation", Sex, Drugs, Alcohol, etc. it can be as
    simple as "assisting" them in their evil.

Voting for candidates who support Abortion, Homosexual rights, makes the "voter" "Partaker"
    with them in their evil. ( 2Jo 1:10 -11)

Like Satan, they are giving "their seat and great authority" to these "sons of Satan" to carry out
    their evil. ( Re 13:2 )

As far as I know "Hitler" never killed a single Jew, however his "Holocaust" was made
    possible by his "supporters", are they any less guilty than he???

Sad to say, many are afraid to mix "Politics and Religion" in their sermons.

13. ken

ken New Member

What else am I suppossed to say after S.Baptist? He hit the nail on the head. I couldn't agree more.