1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Should a Preacher Preach?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by PreachTony, Jan 21, 2015.

1. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

The largest church I've ever preached in had an auditorium capable of holding just over 500. Typically I'm in churches of 150 or less, so they are smaller building. Like you, Salty, I have type of voice that carries well in a small room.

2. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

As I understand it, that was the preaching style of Jonathan Edwards even during his sermon Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God. Despite that, the Lord used him tremendously, supposedly people even began crying out and weeping during the sermon. I personally would have fallen asleep just due to his way of speaking. At the same time, I tried listening to one of the sermons you shared, I'm sorry but I couldn't do it. The -uh- stuff kills me.

Goes to show the Lord uses all kinds in order to reach all kinds.

#42 RLBosley, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
  3. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

And that's just one of the many great and awesome things about the Lord. Personally, I wouldn't be able to sit under the "preaching" of a Joel Osteen type "preacher" which is really nothing more than a motivational speaker.

The -uh- thing, as you called it, is definitely not for everyone. I happen to enjoy it, as I was raised under it and it doesn't bother me. I know fewer and fewer preachers still fall into that style, and it's only when really freed up by the Spirit that I will get into it.

God bless you, RLB.

4. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I wouldn't call Osteen a preacher anyway. But I get what you're saying.

I hope I didn't insult you with my wording.

Bless you too my friend!

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

No worries.

I'll admit that I was a bit offended by an early post, not from you obviously, claiming it to be "fake as fake can be" and "not of the Holy Spirit... a hypnotic form of manipulation."

If you don't know the person preaching, then you cannot claim to know how the Spirit is moving them. To label them as "fake" is to basically show a mindset of "I don't like it so no one else should like it."

6. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I'm glad I did not offend you.

I will admit that my first thought of this and other extravagant (that's not really the right word but I can't think of a better one) displays is that it's showy but I also have to remember that not everyone has my temperament or tastes. Some may be fake but many are legit I'm sure. More power to the ones that are genuine.

I'll shut up now before I inadvertently offend you or anyone else. ;)

7. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

(This might be off OP, but since I am the OP in this thread I'll allow it :smilewinkgrin:) Allow me to dig up some Southern gentlemanly hospitality here, but the only way you'll offend me to anger is if you say something bad about my Lord or my Mama. :tongue3:

8. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Well then we're good. :thumbsup: :1_grouphug:

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I have heard many differing delivery styles, and I care more about the words being said than the way it's presented.

I have heard some who preach in a 'singing tone', some in the 'hacking style', some in the 'monotonal teaching' style, some in a more 'boistrous' style, and I have rejoiced hearing them all, not because of the style, but the substance.

As I have heard many times, it's about the Message and not the messenger...

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Tony,

Don't listen to him. You outta see what he said to me about you in a PM. Why, I didn't know such words even existed...I had to wash my eyes out after reading it...

:D :smilewinkgrin: :wavey: :love2:

11. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

[​IMG]

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

13. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I'm not sure where the rails are for this thread, but I fear we've gone off them...

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bumping this to get back on track....

15. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

16. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exegesis, not eisegesis. God's Word is about GOD.

Many I've heard over the years confuse preaching with "griping about the present and romanticizing the good old days". The Bible is not about you and me; it is about Christ. And any time someone gets up there and tries to talk about themselves, they aren't preaching.

I go to church to hear a message from God from His Word. The sooner Christians get this, the stronger they will be.

"Did I learn about the preacher or did I learn about Christ" is what folks need to ask. BTW, Osteen is a Bible twister, please pray for the thousands he's dragging to hell with him.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

17. tallred

tallred New Member

As for me, I've been preaching now for almost 3 years. I was one who started out in Southern Baptist churches trying to preach from notes from "3-point" messages I prepared beforehand. As for me, I never really felt I got into the spirit. I knew I had been called, but never really got fired up, as some of us would call it.
    After getting involved with some "footwashing" Baptists in North Georgia I began to further seek out what God wanted me to do and how He wanted me to prepare. Then I read Matthew 10:20, and that made everything clear for me. I will usually study some scripture if I feel something the Lord is pressing me with in particular. Aside from that, I just let the Holy Spirit lead me what I need to preach. Since then, I feel I am closer to where God wants me to be. I don't use a microphone, as in most small churches I don't need it. I am not someone who can stand still the entire time, as I am constantly having to move. It's just my personality.

As for preachers, no two are the same. I've been in some good meetings where some "hack" and some don't. How God speaks to me and uses me may be different from how He uses someone else. And, as for the "hardshell" term, I proudly consider myself as one who is (and I'm no extreme Calvinist either) and some even would call me a "streaky-headed" Baptist and that is fine too. At the end of the day, I am just a man who is saved by Grace and sealed unto the day of redemption! :)

#57 tallred, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

When I first started out in the ministry, I thought I'd try to be like my dad. He could preach and quote scriptures almost verbatim, book, chapter, and verse. I'd study up, rehearse the scriptures I wanted to use, and know them word-for-word. Well, when I would get up, I would preach and quote those verses and that was all I had, so I'd take my seat. It didn't take me long to realize I had to be my own man, my own person, and not be like others.

It didn't take me very long to realize I had to abide in MY calling, and not someone else....

19. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I blame Willis. :saint:

20. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I wanted to be like my grandfather when I first started, but that style didn't come to me. It does take some time to realize that you have to be your own man.