How Should We View/Understand the Old Testament For Today?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Mar 29, 2011.

1. JesusFan

Expand Collapse

Jan 4, 2011
    Beieve that most Baptists say that we are people "of the Book", and believe in grace, not Law, of God as the way/means to live for the LORD today...

In light of that ...

HOW than should we view OT for today as relating to us?
    Do we have any laws/ordinaces to keep, or is it a text full of examples and application to us?

If we hold to progressive revelation..
    How much should we take as applicable to us today?

Believe that the OT is JUST as much inspired as the New...
    But what applies to us in Church age, and what was just for Israel?
  2. Van

Expand Collapse

Mar 4, 2011
    I think this excellent question opens a difficult subject. Since I am a simple person, I look at what is probably a complex issue very simply. The Law was part of the Old Covenant, pre-Christ. The Old Covenant, every single part of it including the moral law, has been replaced by the New Covenant in Christ's blood. So none of it applies. But it still serves as a tutor to make us aware of our sin and lead us to Christ. Much of it can be viewed as "living parables" where spiritual truths applicable to us today can be understood through the illustrations of the Old Testament.

As I indicated in the thread, the Commands (and teachings) of Christ, He restated or if you will endorsed much of the moral law, such as love God with all our heart and love our neighbor as ourselves.

The key for me is the centrality of Christ, but if we view the Old Testament as foretelling Christ, and providing a more complete revelation of God and His Christ, it is to be treasured and studied right along with our favorite parts of the New Testament. Hebrews provides a great explanation of how we should view the Old Covenant.

God Bless
    #2 Van, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
  3. Iconoclast

Expand Collapse

Mar 25, 2010
    All scripture is for christians today. The ten commandments are still in effect today. It is false to set grace/law as opposed to each other.
    The mosaic statues belonging to the theocracy,was for the theocracy.Christ has fulfilled those. All 66 books are for all believers.
    [QUOTE 1Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.

2Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.

4. Grasshopper

Expand Collapse

Apr 19, 2002
    The OT is the NT concealed the NT is the OT revealed. I don't think you can fully understand the NT without a good knowledge of the Old. Ever notice how much of the NT contains quotes or allusions from the Old?

So my answer is the OT is critical even for today.