1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Smart Is The Congregation?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by tyndale1946, Feb 20, 2003.

1. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

In my church, the pastor preaches at a 9th or so grade level. We have a large percentage of "mature adults" in our church and most have been saved longer than I have walked. 2 are retired pastors. It was very daunting to prepare a first sermon to deliver to them. Thank God, He has sent the Holy Spirit. That is the only way that sermon meant anything to any of the congregation. I say to know the average educational and spiritual level of the congregation and preach the word. God will make everyone, who is willing, get something out of it.

2. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

And I have to agree with Titus. I love working children's church and youth groups. The kids know just enough to have questions and are not afraid to ask them.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not sure I can agree with the statement that "just don't know as much as men in general when it comes to the bible, and don't seem as interested in studying history or theology as much as focusing on the love shown". Women do a much better job at organizing and maintaining weekly bible studies than do men. Women also do a much better job of holding one another accountable for what they know and what they do.

Men tend to isolate themselves from other men precisely when they need the counsel of other men.

IMO, the reason that women seems to focus more on loving and caring for other than do men is that they, the women, may just have a better grasp on the theology of Scripture and recognize that it is something that must be lived out rather than merely used as a debating tool.

4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Generally speaking, I thin the average congregation is average. :D

I hope this doesn't turn into a politically correct discussion about women being equal to men because I don't think they are. I think they are superior. I like women better than men, I respect women better than men, and I think women are far more atuned to behaving like Christians than men are. This is all in general, of course, with ample exceptions. I think Gina's point is valid. We see men as pastors, deacons, teachers of men, speakers, far more often than we see women. Men are far more apt to demonstrate their Biblical knowledge and theology. This is all in general, of course, with ample excemptions.

5. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Our congregation is not too wise.
    We get salvation sermons every week and our Sunday school material is for new believers.
    Lessons like "Why do I need the Bible,"
    "Don't worry about tomorrow," and "Don't worship idols" year after year for people who have been Christians for up to 30 years is hardly conducive to doctrinal growth.
    Our teacher once thought that we had to keep the OT laws still!!!
    She was corrected in class.
    We have people in our church who think that heaven is the same for everyone.
    That is, that there will be equality of rewards no matter how you have served the Lord in this life. I believe this is leading to apathy on the part of many members in their service.
    I have suggested getting more appropriate material but nothing so far.

MR