1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to Answer Catholic Apologists About Early Church "Fathers' " Quotes

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Malachi, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Bro. James said:

Hammering out a faith and practice...is contrary to scripture. See Jude 3, "Earnestly contend for The Faith which was once delivered to the saints.'

Guess what, James? Even in the second century there was debate about what The Faith actually was, at least in the details. The Apostles didn't hand down a phone-book-sized manual of How to Do Everything, and over time, different customs obtained in different areas. Some churches baptized infants; some waited until the end of life. Some churches permitted marriage after the death of a spouse; some forbade a second marriage for any reason, and some were down on marriage at all.

You can't just point to Irenaeus or Justin Martyr and say "This is what the early Christians did," because over in the next city, the early Christians were practicing something else.

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The New Testament Church doctrine is given in the Epistles to the various churches by The Holy Spirit through Paul, the Apostle. The polity and pattern of the New Testament Church is given in the Book of Acts. There are 27 God-breathed books in the New Testament, given to His churches. Any writings outside those revealed from God are extraneous and subject to error, which has obviously been the case.

This is why the Bible is the only rule of faith and practice for true believers. Everything else is in the world of that which can be pseudo which is the doctrines and commandments of men.

God is not the author of confusion. The Holy Spirit does not bear witness to error. Error and confusion can be attributed only to the father of lies, the god of this world.
    Selah,

Bro. James

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

This is why the Bible is the only rule of faith and practice for true believers.

Yeah, it's too bad no one told the early Fathers that, eh James? :rolleyes:

4. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Apostles knew--Paul and Peter wrote about it. See II Tim. 3:15-17; II Peter 1:20-21. See also: II Peter 2:1-1,
    "But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgemtnt now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not."

This scripture has been fulfilled in the past two thousand years--even in the first century. It is still being fulfilled.

Early Fathers, late fathers, bulls from papa, are all subject to the depravity of man.

Now what?

Selah,

Bro. James

5. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

If you other gentlemen are unclear as to the specific content of the faith once delivered, and exactly what you should believe about any detail of Christian life or practice, feel free to ask me and I will be glad to settle the matter for you, and I'm sure that Bro. James is equally willing to be of assistance.

There. Discussion ended. That was easy, wasn't it?

--
    Popedude

6. Malachi

Malachi New Member

OK, I guess the "i" is next to the "o"....could be a typo.

7. mioque

mioque New Member

8. mioque

mioque New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we believe today...

Is subject to the same error as the early assemblies--especially when we follow the commandments of men. See I and II Corinthians. The Church at Corinth had many doctrinal problems. The early Christians were converted Jews--some insisted on circumcision as a prerequisite to salvation.

Universal Church, baptismal regeneration and infant baptism are just a few of the doctrinal errors which have crept in through the wolves in sheep's clothing. The Holy Spirit continues to purge such heresies from New Testament Churches.

Doctrinal purity is not a function of the will of man nor his ability to maintain the correct faith and practice. Man is depraved and subject to error. That is why God sent His Spirit to indwell His assemblies--to lead in all Truth.

Man cannot deal with Truth.

Selah,

Bro. James

10. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Mioque, as much as I delight in saying absurd, outlandish, and outrageous things, I must humbly confess that the guys on that site have me outclassed by light years.

Thanks anyway.

11. mioque

mioque New Member

Pipedude
    I would never say that you are the author of that webpage.
    I only suggested that you were the black pope; Hans Kolvenbach, the boss of all jesuits on earth.
    Seemed funnier than suggesting that you were the Joseph Ratzinger, pope Benedict XVI.

12. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Hmm, "the Boss of all Jesuits." That kinda has a nice ring to it.

I was elected the leader of Fundamentalism this past November (see this thread). Adding this to my resume might augment my academic career.

Okay, I'll take it. [​IMG] I hereby confess that my real identity is The Black Pope, the boss of all Jesuits.

So: now that I control all wars, all assassinations, the Freemasons, the Bilderbergers, the Mafia, Hollywood, and just about everything else in the world (as the web site states), I'm pulling rank here and cancelling Daylight Savings Time. Everybody take a good long nap this afternoon and church will be back to its regular time this evening.

You're very welcome.

--
    Popedude, LF; BoaJ

13. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

HOW YA TELL ME!

After I just re-set about 25 different time pieces.

(I hope that you told the TV networks because I want to record 60 Minutes tonight during the evening service.)