1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How To Be Saved

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Zenas, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Must we do all of these things? Only those that fit with our system of beliefs and ignore the others? Only those that fit with our system of beliefs and explain away the others as metaphysical or metaphorical? Bottom line, why aren't all of these commandments (and others not mentioned here) of equal importance in securing our salvation?

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think you are mixing what it takes to be saved with things a saved person does. One is not the same as the other. I always go back to the thief on the cross when I think of how to be saved. Now because I am saved, I do things like eat his flesh and drink his blood.

This is one of the questions we'll have the ask the Lord when we get to heaven.

Sin is a transgression against God so he set's the conditions for reconciliation. We don't have to agree but it does show how merciful a God He is.

3. olivia529

olivia529 Guest

Good question, and I wonder about that a lot.

Here's another one -- Romans 2:7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

This one is easy: in fact, all of these are easily reconcilable, through the teaching of James...

Jas 2:22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works;
    Jas 2:23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness"--and he was called a friend of God.

You see, Abraham had faith, and so did what God commanded. Yet here James correlates this to "Abraham believed God". So when we see

"Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved", we must interpret it through "faith (belief, same word) is completed by you works". In other words, if we have saving faith we WILL do all of these things. A good example would be, if Abraham would have been eaten by a Lion on the way to sacrifice Isaac, he would have been just as saved, because it was the faith to obey God that saved him, not the act itself.

So the kind of faith that saves, is the kind of faith that produces works. Why? We are indwelled by the Holy Spirit, and have a desire to do all those things that God has commanded us.

5. olivia529

olivia529 Guest

So you believe that if you have a life without works, you have no saving faith?

And do you agree with this statement?

Protestants have historically summarized their view with the formula: "Justification is by faith alone, but not by the faith that is alone [that is, not by a supposed faith that has no accompanying works].

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I have a general agreement here, although this is not absolute. What if Abraham would have been killed before he was able to demonstrate faith?

7. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

I suppose that the best way to be saved may be this assurance.by some churches.
    1. Repent and be baptised.
    2. Take his life before he does any kind of sinning.

It has sometimes been a plea in this part of the country by some Preachers that will come back to the the community a year of so later telling the people that may have been baptised prier maybe on his first or before.
    A plea goes something like this: " Now to you that accepted Jesus as your personal savior, are you sure, completely sure that you was saved, absolutely sure that you was saved when we had an alter call last year or maybe sometime before then. And if you are doubting that you was saved sometime prier, maybe you better be re-baptised again to make it very, very sure."
    I have never attended a meeting when this was done, but I have been told by folks that it happens...I cannot prove it however, but if someone knows this to be a fact, would you witness that you have experienced it. Please respond.

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Silly, bro. The problem with this, of course, is that you are saved by the faith. If your faith was real, you WILL produce fruit, according to Christ. If your faith was false, you will not.

It is absolutely biblical to examine yourself. Those who do not, or teach not to, are fools.

We are not saved by some silly prayer. We are saved by an implanted, abiding work of the Holy Spirit, which produces a continual and ever increasing faith and repentance. That is Bible.

9. olivia529

olivia529 Guest

By implanated are you referring to infused grace?

10. billwald

billwald New Member

How to be saved? Love God, be a good neighbor.

11. olivia529

olivia529 Guest

Some would say that's "works-based".:confused:

12. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

What was the three last things JESUS told Peter to do as he was about to assend up to his heavenly FATHER.
    1.Peter, Feed my Sheep.
    2 Peter Feed my Lambs.
    #. Peter feed my sheep.
    He was telling Peter to do as he said. You feed them, I'll take care of the calling question.
    JESUS is the book of life. JESUS is the only one with the Authority to open the Book of life. The book of life is JESUS. No not one is able to open the book daily and add names or take away names from the book. The book is sealed with seven seals and it wii be closed until JESUS returns to take his bride home to live with him in glory eternally.