1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to Call for a Gospel Response Like a Calvinist

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Dec 1, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Actually, the power is in the person of God, and the Grace of God is found in the Cross of Christ!

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Why would a Calvinist not call for a response to the gospel? I are one and I call often. It is just that my call for response is not, "Decide today to follow Christ!" but rather, "Is God calling you?"

Very simple. We ALL have to respond to God's call, but the question of Calvinism is who initiataes that call. I have yet to find a shred of evidence that the call is initiated by anyone other than God. Any other answer makes us the king and usurps God's authority, yet so many persist in that doctrinal error.

3. JesusFan

Basically, ALL that God 'requires" us to do is to respond by faith to his invation to be saved, and even that faith itself is a Gift from God unto those whom he elcted to received jesus Christ!

Salvation is of the Lord...

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I can't answer all of this, but I'll take a few stabs...

5. JesusFan

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

My prayer is that God would continue to be patient and longsuffering, ESPECIALLY toward those who seem hardened and rebellious as Moses did for the Jews when they rebelled in the wilderness (Exo 32:32)

But what sense is there in praying for anyone's salvation if it has all been determined before we were born? It won't change a thing.

If Calvinism is true it doesn't work, it doesn't change a thing. It is meaningless.

EXACTLY! And if men have the ability to respond this is meaningful, logical, and practical.

I would agree we should obey God, but it still doesn't make sense if everything has been determined before the foundation of the world. Being commanded to pray for people's salvation does not support predestination as Calvinism understands it.
    No, it was decided long ago, your prayer cannot change that which is determined.

#26 Winman, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011
  7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like this?

"Oh, sirs, the time is short, the business urgent, the crisis imminent. 'Tis very madness to be hectoring, hesitating, and halting between two opinions. Your vote, sir, before the poll closes. If God be God, serve him. Decide quick, speak sharp. If not, take the alternative,—serve Baal. Let your mind be made up without another moment's delay. How long, how long halt ye—ah! how long will ye have to halt between two opinions?" —Charles Spurgeon, "Brief Life Is Here Our Portion"

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

And, the elect will respond! :thumbsup:

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats exactly correct!:thumbs:

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe Romans 1:16

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Rather those that respond are the elect, but thats nowhere in Spurgeon's quote

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh then allow me a Spurgeon quote thats one of my favorites.

When you say, "Can God make me become a Christian?" I tell you yes, for herein rests the power of the gospel. It does not ask your consent; but it gets it. It does not say, "Will you have it?" but it makes you willing in the day of God's power....The gospel wants not your consent, it gets it. It knocks the enmity out of your heart. You say, I do not want to be saved; Christ says you shall be. He makes our will turn round, and then you cry,"'Lord save, or I perish!

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Didnt see the elect in there, just the forced salvation calvinists vehemently deny they believe :laugh:

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look closer then.....look at the last sentence :laugh:we are obedient out of thanksgiving *because* He saved us. :godisgood:

16. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Rebellion against God is the sin that enslaves.

Those who pursue the free will of man with a passion are entrenched in rebellion against God. His will be done, not mine.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who "pursues" free will?!? What a ridiculous thing to say.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Only after the enmity has been knocked out of your heart. Being forced into something is contradictory to obedience.

19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

So, let me get this straight... Webdog, uneducated in theology, is taking on Spurgeon and thinks that Spurgeon is incorrect.

Okay, I get it... :laugh:

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not think that is fair. I love Spurgeon and he was greatly used of God.
    I have found some of his quotes to be outside of scripture and emotional based ...he is not infallible.....I do agree with his teaching probably 97 % of the time.
    Webdog study's the scripture so it is not correct to say he is"uneducated" in theology. Webdog does not claim any false degree or training...
    For him to present his views as he does shows he is a bible based person.

i have often opposed webdog...but almost always based on his view of romans 5....he counters with cals follow augustine....

But I think you can remain on the issue without taking a shot at webdog here.:(

if anything webdog overthinks his theology a bit and does not settle on some verses where he should...but I am hopeful for him..he is far from uneducated theologically....do not forget ..many here come and debate and contend....it is not like we are out in the street trying to witness together to unsaved persons...you might be more than surprised to see some in here presenting the gospel.

#40 Iconoclast, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011