1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to Call for a Gospel Response Like a Calvinist

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was puzzled why you would reject this. So I posted an appeal from famous Calvinist Charles Spurgeon with similar language:

To which you responded thumbs up, saying it would be the elect who would respond.

:confused:

So why are you so opposed to you yourself using that appeal? Do you have some extra beliefs beyond what Spurgeon held that are motivating your quibble?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is Grace & Mercy WAY BEYOND Mans Comprehension....that I will agree to! So much the better to the Glory of God that He actually would save anyone so entrenched in sin that cannot orientate themselves.... He in short saves the drowning man, the one who really deserves hell to prove His very Majesty.

Why would the sinner not stand in utter amazement and cry out , LORD SAVE OR ELSE I PERISH. Now thats a SAVIOR!:love2:

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

what causes it to become the power of God. effective to save those who hear it though?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

the meaning doesn't change.
    he became president elect after the election. The calvinist understanding of election would have him being president elect before even deciding to run for office.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, there is a condition though.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I reinterpreted that passage?! :laugh: the passage says nothing of us being sanctified, it says sanctificatio OF the Spirit...i.e., the working of the Spirit. Get a clue before throwing around the "heretical" tag.

7. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please further explain what you mean.

The Archangel

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where does the passage say WE are sanctified? You don't even understand the text in question which says sanctification OF the Spirit.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

God deciding it has power, which you denied in favor of stating only He has.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The condition is the work of the Spirit and belief in the truth.

11. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Who would be the ones able to excercise their faith in jesus in order to get saved?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those in Romans 1 who do not exchange the truth for a lie. You know this already.

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

1. then why did you leave it out.
    2. It changes everything. Salvation is through sanctification of the spirit and belief in the truth.
    Right. After election, not after becoming president.
    Don't take an analogy too far. He became elect when the election took place. We become elect when election takes place which took place before the foundation of the world. We are elected in Christ before the foundation of the world.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

what did I say that was different in scope or meaning :confused: I said we were chosen (for salvation) through (by) sanctification of the spirit and belief in the truth.
    I thought it would be from the foundation of the world (see below)
    this is confusing. Since we didnt exist before creation we must be elect not from creation, but upon union with Christ as Scripture says.

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God sets his love on those who he purposes for His own Holy reasons...as in Deut 7:1-10...

FYi....I was laughing at the simplicity with which he demonstrated the point...if we had a checkmate emoticon I would have used that.;)

16. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Can God elect whom He wills to elect Robert? Is fault found with God in such Sovereignty, or shall there rather be faith placed in God in so doing?

Furthermore, let's leave out the name-calling and implications thereof in calling another a fool, and behave Christ-like? We know the Scriptures concerning alluding to others as such, do we not? I expect more Christ-like behavior stemming from a person as yourself saved years ago. I call into question and ponder upon such consistent behavior of an individual and will take it up in prayer.

- Peace

#76 preacher4truth, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011
  17. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    QF....

I am glad you posted what you did. I do not share the writers view. I gave a simple reply why...if you or anyone wanted to study it out ...you can.
    I do see synergism as error.God begins the work,and finishes the work in us.
    I can only offer or react to what I see. QF....is someone mistakes a math problem or formula....do you point it out and offer correction? or do you say well you see it your way...i see it my way??
    If you see what I post to be error...post why you see it that way...I will do the same:thumbsup:

18. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Yes, but mathematics and "metaphysics" are as we say....apples and oranges.

19. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Yes. For God is the Author and Finisher of our faith; Hebrews 12:2. We should meditate upon all this does mean. To do so magnifies God in His rightful place, that is, that He did it all, and none of it was us.

20. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Sounding the self humility horn is just a shallow as the implication that those who feel scripture indicates role (response) by man in salvation do so in some fashion of pride or self aggrandizement.