1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How To Church Plant

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 23, 2011.

1. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My apologies for a poorly worded reply. I agree the authority starts first with Christ. In the passage you cite from Acts 13 the leading to the divine call comes from the Holy Ghost through prayer and fasting. I have no problem with that. I believe that is part of the descerning process found in the OP. The problem remains. There are no churches that hold to what the OP considers to be the faith once for all delivered to the Saints.

Here's my thoughts. If the OP is convinced through prayer and fasting that he is being lead by the Spirit to plant a church, that Jesus will be the Head and the Word the final authority, that he has several born-again mature, baptized, Christian men that walk in agreement, he is duty-bound to complete that task. The integrity of that work will be judged by its adherence to Doctrine and not institutional authority. If I am convinced that such is the case I have a responsibility to walk along side him and not stand in his way waiting for an "authorized" church to respond to a very clear call for counsel.

My question for you is simple. A brother has made known a need in his community. If you are under the conviction that your way is the only way why have you not asked what you can do to facilitate answering his call for help?

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Apologies accepted. I am sure that I will make as many or more unintentional mistakes in my responses.

However, He does it THROUGH THE CHURCH at Antioch. There was no scriptures for church policy at this stage and so revelatory gifts were given to leaders through the apostolic laying on of hands so they could lead the church. These men were so gifted and the Holy Spirit led the church through their ministries. Remember, God is to received glory through the church (Eph. 3:21) for divine service just as God works through the gospel to save sinners.

You don't need a church in the locality. That is the whole point of a "missionary" sent out by a church. There was no church in the locality of in Turkey when Paul organized churches. His sending church was in Syria while he was in Turkey! Go to Syria (lol) and find a church that will "send" you as a missionary. Act under the authority of the institution that Christ commissioned to carry out his administrative affairs ("the keys") in the professing kingdom on earth (Mt. 18:17-18).

I believe the Holy Spirit did that in Acts 13:1-4 through the Holy Spirit chosen means which is the church not apart from it. If we could go on FEELINGS and partial Biblical data then we could do anything depending upon what partial Bibical data we selected.

When is it strange to answer that call in the way the scriptures clearly demonstrate (Mt. 28:19-20 with Acts 2:41-42; Acts 13:1-4 with Acts 14, 16-18)???

Would you pick and choose how to carry out the Great Commission? Just pick preaching the gospel and forget baptism? Select preaching the gospel and baptism but forget "teaching them how to observe all things commanded"? Why pick and choose when you don't have to?

Where in scripture are there cases of churches being constituted apart from a previous existing church and its membership?? (Acts 11:19-25; 14:1-4 and 14-18)????

3. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably the same place where we are told to set aside all the sign gifts as being part of the Apostolic age. :flower:

Anyone here drink any Drano lately?

To a man dying of thirst nothing will bring life like a cool drink of water. At that point he cares little if the water came from your well or mine. How do we know the water is good? We can test it like we test the Spirit in all things. We can tell that water is water by testing for the essential elements in their proper proportion one of hydrogen and two of oxygen. That's water regardless of whose well from which it came. We can also test to see if the water is contaminated. If the water is bad is it is bad regardless of whose well from which it came.

Now if the brother was starting a snake handling, Drano drinking church with folk on crutches lined up out the door.... well, I don't know what to think.

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is sufficient Biblical evidence to teach that and it is clear.

The Word of God trumps FEEL GOOD Christianity. You don't have to "test" God's Word as it has already been thoroughly confirmed, you just got to obey it!