1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to deal with an unsaved person that has come to your for help.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jbh28, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Let's suppose an unsaved person you know comes to you for help. He admits that he has a major problem with Alcohol and is seeking your help. This person as was mentioned isn't saved. What thoughts do you have in how we would help such a person keeping in mind that they are not saved.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    His drinking is but one problem of many.Sin is the problem.
    Explain the gospel,establishing the word of God as the place where we find answers to the sin question and all the problems that stem from it.
    Explain that if Jesus saves a sinner he makes him a new creation in Christ,giving him a new heart and a desire for godly living.
    Leave him with no hope outside of Christ.

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I like that. We don't want to ignore his problem with drinking, but also don't want to not share the gospel. What he needs is the gospel. One place we can go is Ephesians 5:18. We need to be filled with the Spirit and not drunk with wine. Then we can move over to the gospel and show him how he can get the Spirit. All saved people have the Spirit(Romans 8:9).

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree....give him a New Life to hold onto. Then give him some coping mechanisms to keep him off the sauce, to focus on a clean area of his life. Only God can really do that but at this point you are this fellas human contact till he can think & pray.

#4 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also remember saved people can backslide & addicts & alcoholics are very prone to it ....particularly early on.

6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

My Dad had to deal with this all the time. His brothers and sisters were heavy drinkers. The oldest died of scorrocis of the liver, malnutrition and yellow jaundice at 36 years old. I never touched acohol because of that, and of course I was saved at a very young age.
    The youngest Dad got out of hospitals and bars all the time. The other brother in the army came out an acholohic so I have seen it dealt with. The other went in and out of Acohol treatment finally dieing of scorosis.
    So I have seen Dad gently speak to his brothers while fuming underneath. The oldest, Dad said made what amounted to a death bed profession of faith. The next to the youngest DAd had many conversation with about the Lord and I was also able to preach to him and talk a little with him after dad passed. Not really sure he ever received Christ and the catholic religion he was in didn't help. I was asked by his son and stepchildren to preach two times one they called a wake the other at the graveside. I was able to preach to a catholic priest at the graveside and one of his step sons who was is a Jehovah witness.

The youngest lived close to me when I was pastoring and he and his wife and sometimes his and his wife, came to services. The one I preached the funeral too also attended church a few times. I have learned over the years you must treat someone with acholic addiction or even drug addiction very gently and not rail at them. Letting them know you don't approve while loving them as a soul needing salvation. The problem is deep centered not just sin although sin is the root. The cravings are tough and the desire great with those addicted. They need prayer and help from a good christian psychologist or if you have a Christian Counsellors license you can council them but it is difficult and they will never be fully cured, they will need to be helped through life with tis.

#6 revmwc, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011