1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to Deal with False Converts

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by christianyouth, Jun 24, 2006.

1. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Hello there,
    How would you deal with someone who you KNOW are not saved, I mean they absolutley do not show fruit of the Spirit, a false convert.. How would you treat this person when they come to you for spiritual advice, or talk about their problems? Would it be wise to voice your opinion that they are not saved?

The reason I bring this topic up, is latley I have been having a debate within my mind. My church youthgroup is full of youth who frankly, are not Christian. Their parents have forced them into the church, and so they come to church reluctantly, and have no problem showing it. Foul language, violence, just very worldy behavior.. So much as to where I have brought friends to the youthgroup, who were not saved, at activities or something, and they specifcally said they would not come back due to these 'punks', as they referred to them.

Now, I love these kids. However, I feel I should warn them, that by Biblical standards, they are not regenerated. They never have had repentance, true genuine repentance.

This is an unfortunate situation, but since I started being a Christian I have seen this in both of my youthgroups. It is disturbing..

Please give me some suggestions on how to deal with this situation, I am only 16 years old, and have searched out the Scriptures and it has resulted in conflicting oppinions. Whisper not wisdom in the ear of a fool, and cast not your pearls before swine, but yet preach the word in and out of season?

God Bless, I look forward to hearing your responses which so often have urged me down the right track, in Christ,
    Andy.

2. whatever

whatever New Member

Do these kids profess to be believers? Maybe they do need the gospel, or maybe they just need to be taught what the is expected of believers according to scripture.

Are you close enough to any of them to talk about the gospel one-on-one? Maybe you could do that, not necessarily in terms of "you say you're saved but I think you're lying", but more just working the gospel into your conversations.

It is also important that you model the gospel. Sometimes people need to see an example of a changed life before they realize that there is something that they are missing.

I'm sure others will have some good ideas for you. The most important thing you can do is to pray for your friends, and for opportunities to share the gospel and to disciple them as needed.

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Re: False converts

An honest and open question and one that has been asked often through the centuries of Christendom to answer I offer my opinion nothing less or more.

First of all understand spirituality is not a badge of arrogance but of courage in the Lord. We are to speak the truth in love but none-the-less we are to preach the truth. Your path is one of isolation (for a while) but should you stay the course God will use you in a marvelous way.

Paul said to the Roman church (Romans 16:17-18) Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

It begins by taking a stand of separation you will be surprised how many are going along with some sort of perceived norm who are not at all for it but do not have the courage to say no. You will be ridiculed and poked fun of but respond with a soft answer and continue to be friends just not intimate friends. Refuse tactfully to join their group and refrain from those activities that bring reproach to the name of Christ. When you are confronted publicly refrain from answering (just like Jesus before Caiphas) but privately not only answer but witness (Like Christ and Nicodemus) memorize your scripture anticipate their questions and be prepared to give a reason for the hope that is within you.

Secondly serve them, the greatest leaders are servants. Can I help you with that, can I get that for you etc. The difference between those who serve their own belly (desires) and those who serve Christ is easy to see for everyone. Help your youth director, serve in your church, be gracious, kind and loving serve for in so doing you set an example and a testimony that cannot be spoken against with out them bringing reproach to their own name and testimony.

I trust this will be a help.

thjplgvp

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Don't judge them based on their works. Ask them if they believe that Jesus died and shed His blood in their stead. Find out if they are believers by what they believe not what they do. Once you have determined (at least as much as we can as humans ie no one knows the heart except God) then deal with them accordingly.

If they seem to balk at the message of Christ's substitutionary death and shed blood, then share the good news with them. If they say they are believers then visit with them about accountability. Pray for discernment during the process!

Hope that helps.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Is your youth pastor aware of this? Is the gospel given clearly during youth group time?

I have spoken to lots of youth groups and am very aware that sometimes there are many unsaved teens in them. Ialways give the gospel in my presentations because of this.

Maybe you should talk to your youth pastor and tell him of your concerns.

6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to be frank with you, even though you are only a youth. You do not know who is saved and who is not. What you know is that some of these youths are not behaving in a way that is consistent with a profession of faith in Jesus Christ. Maybe they are saved. Maybe they are not. Maybe they are, but they don't know what is expected behavior for a Christian.

I would be very careful telling someone you do not believe they are saved. You are presuming to know more than God has allowed you to, and they will certainly throw up a wall and not hear another word you say. Speaking with them about the appropriate behavior of Christians is certainly in line with Matt. 18 guidelines on discipline.

I honestly don't see this as an salvation issue, but an "expectations" issue. I couldn't tell from your post whether the youth leader knew of the behavior or not. If he doesn't, he should. The youth leader, and other leaders in the church, must make painfully clear what the expectations are for those who participate in the youth program. Vulgar language and the other things you mentioned should be addressed by the youth leader to the whole group. Those who don't follow the rules are not allowed to participate. No exceptions.

I hope you will pray that God will give you wisdom in handling this situation. I have prayed for you, as I am certain others that have read the thread have as well.

peace to you, little one:praise:

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter