1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How to get people in my church interested in deep theology...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Mar 19, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am stuck where I am at no question so how can I help bring change to the church? Mailed the book by Paul Washer and the pastor never mentioned it to me, so a friend has suggested another option and that I get the book Foundations of Grace by Steve Lawson and offer to do a bible study in my home but run it by the pastor first. This is a study guide book and ideal for a Bible study environment however looking online it looks large and deep and that may be a problem for people whom do not like to read, which may be the majority in the church. If there was a DVD study that went with the book that may be better. I want to take action and get this study guide book, but I also do not want to buy it only to have it turned down by the pastor. Suggestions?

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chill out for a while. Maybe the pastor and congregants can teach you a thing or three if you will let them.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is more important is that people get interested in letting the word change their lives.Which is the purpose of the Word of God.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So doctrine and theology and irrelevant? Man even in Joel Osteen, Andy S, Willow Creek, Randy Frazee, and Rick Warren's churches do the people show good ethics. Good ethics and mannerisms does not equate to good doctrine!! It can equate to that but not necessarily. Many whom went to Lakewood Church would walk away with a smile about how good and nice the people treated them there.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have indeed in 2 areas.

Finances
    Bible prophecy

6. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't worry about bringing change to your church. Bring truth to those who have ears to hear. You will give account to the Lord for what you do and the Pastor for what he does. If you feel lead and capable to do this, do it. I do not believe that you need to run it by the pastor as this is outside the church in your home. You do not need his permission any more than you need his permission to witness to someone or create a web page that teaches truth.
    If you are teachng something contrary to his teachings then I think you owe him the respect and courtesy to spell out to him in person where you feel he is wrong.
    I would make this observation and suggestion. You said deep theology. Well usually such things are too deep for anyone to know for sure and there is a lot of opinions. Unless you can absolutely support "deep theology" it might be good to offer it as your opinion, but based on certain scriptures and not as an absolute.

#6 Judith, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  7. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Find a good church that cares about what you care about.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have made a decision I am not gonna buy the book as it won't work in this circle and environment. No way the pastor will endorse it so I would be wasting my money.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You continue to show you do not understand what theology is or its purpose. No one said anything about good ethics. You might try reading 2 Tim 3;17

Theology has no value if it does not effect change in your life to be more like Christ.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For once we agree.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seriously? Ever hear of prayer?

12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you get people interested in “deep theology”?

It’s obvious – 1. start a bible study and 2. feed them!

I’m not familiar with Foundations of Grace by Steve Lawson but it sounds like a great idea, particularly in a discussion group with DVD teaching.

Run it past the pastor but first look for someone interested in sharing the position of discussion leader with you.
    It would help
    1. train up someone
    2. provide a built in substitute for times when you couldn’t be there
    3. insure that a minimum of two or three couples would be there for the discussion.

***And never underestimate the power of a crumb cake - whenever there is food, you can be assured that Baptist will be near-by.

Rob

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:
    Rob.....is that supposed to be a good thing?

14. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only know that attendance in my Sunday morning adult study picked up tremendously after my wife began bringing snacks.

A basptismal testimony was given by one of the men who attended the class; they mentioned my wife's snacks, not my teaching, as the greatest attraction to the church. :laugh:

Rob

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats a testament to your wife...... I know, Im Mr. Obvious. :smilewinkgrin:

16. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would assume then that this venture was not of God or you are rejecting His leading. If not of God and you were just going out on your own this should be a lesson. If it was of God and now you are backing out your lesson is yet to come.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I am gonna try a different approach and print out this page and give it to the pastor Sunday.

http://www.ligonier.org/store/the-doctrines-of-grace-in-john-dvd/

Its a DVD of that large book. How many would read a book that in depth these days anyways? I'd love too but the people in my church are not theology nor book oriented.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Starting in deep theology for a church that hasn't gone there is not the right approach. I'd start with basic theology - kind of a program that would be used for youth or something like that. Get them to understand WHY they should understand theology!

I remember Gregg Harris speaking about this at a homeschool conference once and it was what got me to read Systematic Theology by Grudem (which to me is an easy, entry level theology study). Here's basically what he said:

http://www.crosswalk.com/512658/

19. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you want the Pastor to do this?

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best way, IMHO, to advance interest in theology is to study Scripture within the context of Scripture (not start with a theological concept or book and then look to Scripture for its justification). Instead of advocating a study of the Doctrines of Grace in John, why not start with John. Work through the gospel and epistles and allow Scripture to bring out the theology within its own context?

I say this for two reasons. First, Lawson’s view is not authoritative - he may be wrong on some point while Scripture is not wrong. Second, it is much better to derive theology from Scripture than to explore Scripture through a theological perspective (even if it winds up that the theology you are considering is correct). It is, IMHO, disgraceful that churches rely so heavily on study guides to give them an interpretation of Scripture when we all have access to Bibles. Start with the Bible and then use tools. Just a suggestion.