1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How to get people interested in Sunday School

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a risk of being perceived as a pest.

Mrs. Rolf and I briefly attended a church a number of years ago that practiced this. Great church: friendly people, good preaching, no serious doctrinal disagreements. We loved it there.

After three or four months we left. Why? They would not stop visiting and calling us. Requests that the pastors stop repeatedly showing up at our door unannounced were ignored, so we made our exit.

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Our church is in a similar situation as Preachin' Jesus. Our Senior Adults use the quarterlies and probably use them for their private devotions at home.

However, none of the other classes are even expected to prepare. Teachers simply present the lesson each week, usually little by little with questions for discussion and application after each point, and when someone says something that one of us teachers thinks is really wrong, our response is measured depending on the seriousness of the error and the contentiousness of the issue...

ie, if someone argues for an alternative eschatological view, we would probably say, "that's a view many christian's hold, and that's fine."

If someone speaks of losing one's salvation, we would likely point to several verses that support eternal security, but then also admit that many Christians disagree.

If someone proposes that Jesus was not really divine and had 5 children with Mary Magdeline, we would likely try to correct it more forcefully for the benefit of the entire class.

We might recommend a book no more than 3-4o times a year, at the beginning of a new series, if there is a book we are basing the lessons on, or that fits well with the topic.

It is helpful to not try to do to much. Occasionally a fill-in teacher will try to do to much, and ends up monologuing for 40 minutes and then says, "Any questions?" At that point, even those who have tried to keep up have so many thoughts swirling in their head that they wouldn't know where to start.

Our Sunday School has been growing in recent years, even faster than worship service attendance. Interest is there, and discussions are often lively, but not in preparing for SS ahead of time. We have not attempted to change that.

#22 12strings, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with this philosophy. One needs a study format for people to learn, is that how you learned in school? How can people learn if they are not expected to prepare, do HW, have tests and the like? Why call it SS when its just a lecture hall? I will also state that numeric growth is not the same as spiritual and biblical growth.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would avoid your classes in heartbeat and any by those that do not take their job seriously. I remember attending SS in the past by someone that did not prepare nor take his job seriously. I was gone within a month. His view of SS was a social gathering, my view was a place where the Bible was taught and I learned the word of God better. He was successful in his own eyes and by those that wanted a social gathering. But he did not teach the Bible.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't require my Sunday School students to "prepare". I encourage them to memorize/meditate on scripture that I give them each week, but I don't "test" them on it. I do invite anyone to share what those scriptures mean to them the past week. Sometimes they open up and sometimes they don't. I give two scriptures each week, one short, one medium for them to try to memorize and if that's not possible - meditate each day on it.

As far as the lesson is concerned, here's an example from last week as to what I do.

My own preparation time is about a couple of hours.

The text was Ezekiel 24 (the latter part) where God took Ezekiel's wife (the desire of his heart) as a sign to the exiles that He was about to allow the the Temple (the desire of their heart, but in the wrong way) back in Jerusalem to be destroyed.

Part I: I told them about some other prophets of God and the strange and difficult lives they had to lead at God's leading. I invited them to discuss how being a man and woman of God and being placed by God in a position of calling people to God is NEVER easy. We talked about Paul and others and how their being used by God wasn't a cakewalk. I invited them to discuss how we could encourage our own pastor in his leading us.

Part II: I reminded them that these people were in EXILE and STILL had their hearts on the Temple, but not in the right way. I reminded them that when Jeremiah was preaching repentance to the them before the exile that they would just answer him by saying, "The Temple of the Lord! The Temple of the Lord!" - meaning that they believed that God would not allow any harm to them as long as the Temple was there. We discussed some situations where Christians can get into spiritual exile - recognize it and STILL long for idolatrous behaviors that put them there. We talked honestly about this and some gave personal testimony about their pasts.

Part III: This was the critical part that I emphasized the most and drew the most out of the class. God said that He was going to remove their "stronghold" from them - the Temple. We talked about what strongholds are and how we gain them and the destruction they cause. I invited the class to share if they felt they were in bondage to any strongholds. I held my breath a little because I knew there were at least three who are under great stress of [a] the root of bitterness, guilt/condemnation over something that they are not responsible for, and [c] self-hatred to a degree that I've almost never seen before.

Well, tears and testimonies poured forth like a flood. I believe healing took root yesterday morning and that through prayer and scripture study, healing will complete a transformation in perhaps two of these people.

Did I prepare enough? I'll never know.

Did my students prepare? Some had read the lesson, some not.

For me, I cannot require my students to do anything. But I can encourage and I do that my making every single lesson I teach personal to their lives.

#25 Scarlett O., Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  6. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I kindly submit that you have an unrealistic view of what Sunday School attendees will accept. Homework, tests, etc. in school are tolerated because they are mandated. People do not attend SS because they are required to, but to learn and fellowship. Burden people with requirements, and they will view it as just that... a burden.

I am not too old to remember my school days as a boy. I was blessed to have one teacher (who happened to be a pastor) who, at times, was willing to deviate from his planned lesson because someone had a question. It happened often enough that it became a running joke. I suspect, had his superiors found out, he would have been disciplined; but those unplanned lessons were the most beneficial to us. We loved him as a mentor for it. Decades later, they are still imprinted in my memory and am grateful for them.

#26 Rolfe, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you look at the history of SS it can and did take the form of a bible study and still does in some churches. I was a member of a good church for a period of time that required all members to go through an in-depth Bible study, and in each SS there was HW not to be enforced but to get people to learn. People these days do not want to learn because many these days have no interest in the things of God which shows up in the way many churches do their sunday school.

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said, you seem to have an unrealistic expectation of people.

Burden people with required reading assignments, homework, etc. and observe the reaction.

9. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And I never said that it should not study the Bible. That is the whole purpose of Sunday School.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't express myself very well!.
    I spend many hours preparing for each class I teach. I'd guess about 10 hours for each session. Between books, while my co-instructor is teaching, I'll read a few commentaries and work through the text. Putting together a basic outline of my lessons - I deviate from my arranged plans upon beginning teaching when questions arise that limits time. We spend a good bit of time in discussion.

Yet I attend a group study on Wednesday evenings and another Men's study on Saturday mornings that I don't spend time preparing for - my time is limited.
    The participants in the class I co-lead are eager to learn but have their own outside interests too - their own studies, their own reading, their own work, family, and business. Life is very busy these days.

Rob

#30 Deacon, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  11. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    evangelist6589, me tinks' the best way to get people interested is to first admit that you can't "get" folks to do anything. Then, allow those who want to "get" involved, can actually do so.

This attitude of, "...dat' ain't da' way we did it back in 52" just doesn't fly anymore. Way too many churches are their own worst enemies.

Of course, you don't turn the church over to the membership unattended but as I reflect back over the past three years under a wonderful and insightful pastor when it comes to the Word..., the only thing I'm permitted to contribute is my weekly tithe check.

...leaves a bit to be desired.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Good advice. Also the subject matter may be a reason. I know if they had a study on NT criticism and such I would not be interested but I would need to train myself to get interested. I love eschatology and apologetics and so I participate more in those topics.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thanks for better explaining yourself. You would be amazed by how many teachers do not prepare.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I saw a wonderful reaction in a former Calvinistic bible church I was a member of in another state. People loved the word, love apologetics, bible studies and such. And yes there was required preparation before class and a book book on bible study and hermeneutics every member had to complete to be a member. This forced people into the word and the fruit was positive as people enjoyed it.

God was highly praised in that church and his word was sacred. The only downside to the church was that people loved to argue and did not always show grace on others and as a result the church did not grow numerically very much.