1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by xfrodobagginsx, Apr 22, 2015.

?
  1. YES

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. NO

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. I ALREADY ACCEPTED JESUS CHRIST AS MY LORD AND SAVIOR

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. OTHER

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. xfrodobagginsx

My purpose for posting this is because there are a lot of people who come here for answers of how to be a Christian and I want them to know.

2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I too would like to know why...

In answer to your other post, I don't really consider myself a heretic, but, as one preacher said, "There's a little bit of heretic in all of us," it is quite likely that some will consider me to be one.

I am a Baptist (an Independent Baptist), primarily because I feel Baptists are about as close as one can get to a sound system in which one can fellowship and learn sound doctrine. I don't agree with every doctrine, and there are certain Baptists I am highly in opposition to in regards to doctrine, but in the Baptist fellowship I am a part of, we have an excellent Pastor who is more expositional in his approach to Scripture, which reflects, not only in his teaching, but in the fellowship of the church family itself.

Keep up the good work, X, and don't let these guys put you on the defensive. We both know that it is God that changes heart, all we have to do is be available to Him to broadcast the Gospel of Christ.

God bless.

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you should abandon the false, demonic "say this prayer" nonsense you peddle.

There have been ZERO people saved because they prayed a prayer. Satan himself would love for people to continue to swallow that false gospel - hook, line, sinker.

Romans 5:1-2having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God

Romans 8:24 For in hope we have been saved

Paul never once said we were saved by asking Jesus into our lives, or heart, or any such nonsense. We hope for redemption in His blood. Having our assurance fixated on His death, burial, resurrection.

When you go passing out this voodoo of you do, it's like lacing candy with cyanide.

4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was saved by saying a prayer.

God bless.

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you weren't. If you are born again,

You were justified by faith, which would have been either before or after you said a prayer, thereby rendering the prayer useless.

But an even worse scenario is the many who are duped into saying a "prayer of salvation" then walk away with their hope firmly fixed on their having done their part.

Or even worse yet is the one who thinks this ritual establishes him in the "safe" realm as long as he continues in a life of obedience, and repentance for failure - thereby saving himself. I was there through the first 600-800 times I recited that meaningless jargon

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes...I was.

And the progression went just as Scripture teaches, I was introduced to the Word of God which the Comforter enlightened my natural mind to, and when I finally responded I prayed...

...to God.

To save me, a sinner.

Justification by faith does not save, it is a result of salvation. And that justification did not take place prior to my obedience to the Gospel.

The OP has addressed the issue, and for myself I see nothing wrong with the thread. It is a basic means of instructing unbelievers as to the elements of salvation.

While I would agree that just saying the prayer will not in itself save, and that there are many who walk the aisle in false profession, at the same time there are those who do follow a "Roman's Road" formula who are saved through that method.

And the last thing I would think we would do is revile and discourage someone who is being obedient in seeking to present the Gospel.

Easy believism is going to be a problem in the Church, hence the many teachings of Christ (tares and wheat, good and evil trees, et cetera), but, better for someone to falsely believe themselves saved and be in Church than to reject Christ altogether.

Because there we would assume they would still be under the Word of God and their chances of salvation are greatly raised. I know of several who have sat in a church for years only to finally realized they were not saved. One of those men is now a Forum Missionary of sorts who can be found on many forums.

So let's not discourage sewing and watering, nor forget God gives the increase. If you have a problem with his technique in evangelistic outreach, then there must be a better way to help him than reviling his technique. That is what the Body should do...edify, strengthen, and seek to see the cause of Christ ministered to the lost.

And you are not exactly presenting that as your goal.

Try a little discussion. We can do much talking with people, but very little talking at them.

God bless.

7. xfrodobagginsx

Please take the time to read this first post and vote in the poll if you haven't yet.

8. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    where is this so-called progression supposedly taught in scripture?

Simply put, it's not. Scripture is abused by people removing them from their context, then confusing the intended meaning.

And reviling a false teaching, and the teacher, is absolutely biblical. Jesus told the Pharisees that they make their converts twice the sons of hell.

What if someone posts saying that eternal life is found by giving $5,000 to Kenneth Copeland? Or if someone posts that life is found in Jewish festivals? Or if someone posts that the way to life is through castration?

We are saved by God's grace, manifest in the atoning sacrifice of Christ, accessed through believing in Him.

Through hope, which does not disappoint.

Any other gospel, and the teacher of it, is to be accursed...according to Paul.

9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is:

And the progression went just as Scripture teaches, I was introduced to the Word of God which the Comforter enlightened my natural mind to...

John 16:7-9

King James Version (KJV)

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

Christ taught that when the Comforter was come, He would minister to the Lost.

He would reprove the world of sin, because...they believe not on Jesus Christ.

This is why sinners repent, James.

and when I finally responded I prayed...

...to God.

Is there someone else we turn to?

Who did you pray to when you realized you were a sinner, James?

This is true, but how does the OP do that?

Did he not go through the prayer?

Post # 24, which you have not addressed.

You charge him with demonic doctrine yet have not addressed his defense of his position.

You say...

I read the whole thread, more than once. And i can assure you this....saying "tgevprayer does this" a half dozen times is not an answer to the fact that you are abusing scrioture by taking Romans 10 out of context.

Why is it that Paul quotes Joel 2:32 in verse 13, and Peter quotes it in Acts 2, where he when asked "what shall we do?" Peter commands them to be baptized?

Care to take a swing at that?

...in Post# 32, am I to suppose you are teaching men are saved only if they are baptized?

Care to field that one?

I agree, but I don't see that you, or anyone nit-picking the Romans Road approach are being just in condemning a familiar pattern of evangelism.

The fact is, if more people advanced to a Romans Road method we might see more people being introduced to the Lord.

And while we would address those evangelizing with false doctrine...he is not doing that.

Address the OP as BB, did. At least he gave a thorough address of his objections. We can't just charge people with something without cause. Not even the Law allowed for that.

Relevance?

You think because he is telling people how they might be saved...he is making false converts?

But yours are secure, right?

Who has done that here?

If you want to deal with people doing that...go find them, lol.

But we are dealing with the OP.

Address that and show that it is demonic doctrine.

And I agree, but do you think someone is going to understand what you are saying?

Are you not going to have to, as the OP does...give some explanation?

What problem do you have with the following...

...?

Why is your short statement better than his, and how is this demonic doctrine?

He gives a very clear presentation of the Gospel.

Address the OP, and I will address your response.

God bless.

10. StFrancis

StFrancis Member

Even though am saved, I do not know whether I will go to heaven if I die. I think that we are all sinners and that is why Jesus died for us. The Bible says that we have all fallen short of the word of God. I just wonder when are we ready to die. Does the bible elaborate on that? I need to believe I will go to heaven when I die.

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello SF, probably the place to start, if you would like to know for certain if you will go to Heaven when you die, is to make certain your calling and election.

And the first thing we have to do in order to do that is to understand how and why people are saved to begin with. Could you explain, in your own words, and with the Scripture you might feel supports the view you have...how men are saved?

God bless.

12. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the bible absolutely elaborates, in simple language.

Pay no attention to calling and election, those are much deeper subjects, and are not at all the same as what you asked.

Jesus said that God so loved the world that He gave His only Son; that whoever believes in Him would not perish, but have eternal life.

He also said that whoever believes in Him will never hunger and will never thirst.

And that whoever believes in Him will never come into condemnation, but has already passed from death to life.

over and over again, scripture declares that eternal life is to the one who believes in Jesus.

the question is - what does it mean to believe in Him?

imagine if a child is nervous right before a piano recital or spelling bee, etc. and you tell her "I believe in you"

what would you mean if you said that? You would be saying "I have confidence in you. I believe you can do what you set out to do."

what Jesus set out to do is bear the punishment for your sins, to take your place in death - a substitute for you. That you could be righteous because of Him, not yourself.

That's God's grace toward sinners.

And we access that grace when we believe in Him. It is really that simple.

Romans 4:21-24 says that Abraham was fully convinced that what God had promised, He was also able to perform. Therefore it was credited to him as righteousness. And not only Abraham, but us also.

Believe in Him. He is able. Set your hope on Christ, and His blood, and His death - in your place, on your behalf. That you might be found in Him, not having a righteousness of your own, but one which comes through faith in the Son of God

13. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure it is:

2 Peter 1:9-11

King James Version (KJV)

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

In other words...make sure you are saved.

2 Corinthians 13:5

King James Version (KJV)

5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

And the best test for understanding whether you are saved or not is to know how one is saved to begin with. That doesn't mean that someone that is saved cannot be confused, and we see that there are many groups that confuse salvation, merging faith and works. But if we understand how and why one is saved, then we can examine our own selves, and see if what has taken place in our lives aligns with Scripture.

And if you will notice, I didn't ask him to explain what he knew about calling and election.

;)

God bless.

14. xfrodobagginsx

The holiness of God is traumatic to unholy people...R.C. Sproul