1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by xfrodobagginsx, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is were I have a problem with this presentation of salvation.

It is in the "bait and switch" tactics.

Everyone wants to go to heaven. Believe, pray, and your in.

Now, on the surface, that is correct, however, in the application it presents what is false in these ways:

1) At no time in the NT was there a prayer such as suggested above. One either expressed belief that had already transformed them, or they turned away.

2) It is not "MY faith" that is placed in Christ, nor the "meaning it with all my heart" that makes me "a child of God." It is the Grace of God through the faith that He gives (not of my own self) and not of any works either intellectually "meaning it" or emotionally "with all my heart" that makes me a child of God. Salvation is a gift of God. Those that are His will respond to that gift.

3) Human kind is never "willing" in the natural fleshly worldly unsaved state to accept anything that is righteous life giving from God. There is not a willingness of the unregenerate but to intellectualize in hope of some escape. However, intellectualism is not salvation.

4) One can believe Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead for their sins, and still not be saved. This is the difference between intellectual assent which is a belief system of the persuasion of the mind, and that belief which is generated from that core shift of a new creature expressing belief.

5) The bait and switch tactic is pure salesmanship, and more often leaves a false hope and eventual buyer's remorse. The greatest mission field in America used to be the local pew sitting church members. It is now those who have had buyer's remorse and don't have any desire of worship or service unless it is puffed up the emotionalism.​

So what would have been a better ending?

Perhaps something such as:

Do you believe the Lord Jesus Christ is your only savior, today?

Do you know in your heart that without Him you are lost, but with Him you are God's adopted child?

Be reconciled to God. Do not turn away. Do not harden your heart.

One who believes on the Lord Jesus Christ, will trust Him as the Savior, and acknowledge Him in all that is done, said, and the paths taken.

One who believes is committed to the Savior with the whole heart, mind, soul, and strength, because He first loved with His whole heart, mind, soul and strength and gave Himself to reconcile those who believe to God.

I would invite you to contact me at ....(email)...... so I might send you more information that is specific to your needs, questions that you may have, and especially if you now believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and I would like to hear what your thoughts are on this short presentation of the Gospel. You may text or call me at ... (voice/text mail) ....... to leave a message if you are in immediate need.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. xfrodobagginsx

Prayer for Salvation:

Lu 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
    14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Secondly, Here is the prayer let's compare it with the scriptures:

"1)Dear LORD JESUS, I believe that YOU died on the Cross and Rose from the dead for my sins. 2)I ask you to come into my heart and forgive me for my sins, take me to heaven when I die. 3) I now receive You as my Lord and Savior. Thank You for saving me. In Jesus holy name, Amen."

Let's check the scriptures.

1) Ro 10:9 Because if you confess the Lord Jesus...

The prayer does this

2) and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead,

The prayer does this if from the heart

3) you shall be saved.

The prayer does this

2) For with the heart one believes unto righteousness

If you say the prayer from your heart this will happen

and with the mouth one confesses unto salvation.

The prayer does this. You pray with your mouth.

Ro 10:13 For everyone, "whoever shall call on the name of the Lord will be saved."

The prayer does this

There is no place in the Bible that states that you cannot pray to God for salvation. I will agree that it's not about a set prayer, but rather turning to Christ for salvation, believing that He died on the cross and rose from the dead for your sins and accepting His free gift of salvation. The Prayer is just a way of summing this and confirming it to God.

3. xfrodobagginsx

Water Baptism doesn't save. 1Co 1:17 ¶ For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

The Gospel is the power of God unto Salvation to everyone that Believes, not water Baptism.

Ro 1:16 ¶ For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

• Like Like x 1
  4. xfrodobagginsx

5. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep up the good work, Frodo.

Someone has to maintain the simplicity of the Gospel.

It really is that easy.

God bless.

6. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

That's the hickiest eisegesis I've ever seen expressed on that passage of the thief on the cross.

7. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know, I thought it had a nice twang to to it.

Besides, I know a number of hicks that do understand the thief on the Cross.

;)

God bless.

8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last time I was here someone mentioned a Baptist Church that had some strange doctrinal positions, and so I thought maybe I would join and see if I could discuss doctrine with them. Kind of inactive, but did get the chance to address a thread where people were upset about the "false teaching of 'asking Jesus into your heart' ."

So I thought, Frodo, that perhaps you might give what your response to such a statement would be. Your post here made me think about that, as I see them as similar objections.

Incidentally, because I am a "member" on their forum, I received an email recently from them, asking all members to stand with the preacher who thinks all gays should be lined up and shot. They asked that we "stand with him as he is being persecuted for preaching the Gospel."

Go figure.

God bless.

9. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not good work. It's a false gospel and heretical teaching. Saying a prayer is not the same as having faith. They can be mutually exclusive.

You should be ashamed of yourself for endorsing it

10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He answered the objections quite well, in my opinion.

You are free to address Post #42 and show him where he is wrong.

Being saved is not some difficult concept one must understand before responding to the Ministry of God in the heart. It is a very simple matter, James, God shows man his sin, his destination, and the Remedy.

Romans 1:16

King James Version (KJV)

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

What is shameful is trying to discourage someone from conveying the simplicity of the Gospel.

It really is that easy, James. Just because many try to make it complicated, doesn't mean it is. We rely on God to minister to the hearts of men, not we ourselves.

And if you can point out something that is error in Post #42, be glad to look at it with you.

God bless.

11. xfrodobagginsx

You should be ashamed of yourself for hindering people from coming to salvation. If you had actually used logic, you would have noticed that I said to pray it from your heart to God. I never said you didn't need to believe it. The actual prayer confesses a belief in Christ for salvation. You are helping the enemy satan hinder those who would come to salvation.

It's not heretical. You just don't know the scriptures. Calling on the name of the Lord for salvation IS Biblical.

Ro 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Ro 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Ro 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

• Like Like x 1
  12. xfrodobagginsx

13. xfrodobagginsx

14. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to see a specific reference to repentance in the prayer (Mark 1:15 etc., etc.). Also, I hope you always make it clear to people that saying a prayer cannot save them. God saves us when we repent and trust in Jesus Christ for salvation. But you are right that there can be no objection to a 'sinner's prayer' in principle.

15. xfrodobagginsx

Watch the entire video and there is no doubt dinosaurs walked with men. You may want to skip to about 30 minutes into it. That's when he gets into the hard evidence. Don't watch 10 minutes of it and say "that doesn't prove anything" Skip to about 30 minutes into it and then listen.

16. xfrodobagginsx

Historical evidence for Jesus:

17. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sure all who call upon the Lord as contextually defined will be saved but it does not say it is the act of calling that saves. It says it is "with the heart" man believeth unto righteousness but Paul has already ruled out the natural born heart as capable of that act (Rom. 3:10-12; 8:7). The problem is the human heart as it is hardened in sin and full of darkness that only a direct revelation of God in the heart can change (2 Cor. 4:6) by a creative command of God as in Genesis 1:3 where God effectually called light into existence of a dark world.

18. xfrodobagginsx

19. xfrodobagginsx

You just have to take the Bible for what it says. It's the act of placing your faith in Jesus Christ, believing in your heart that He died on the cross and rose from the dead for your sins.

20. xfrodobagginsx

Please take the time to read this first post if you haven't yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.