1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to live in the world but not of it?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 5, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How to apply John 17:15-19? Tonight went to a party of a family friend who is going off to college. The world was definitely present at the party. Lots of alcohol was there with plenty of dancing and worldly music (David Bowie among others). I chose to attend but did not dance (because I am married) nor did I drink (no Mikes were there) nor did I sing (because I did not like the music). I am not more holy or righteous than them but I am saved. I did not pass out any tracts but I did talk to people however not about spiritual matters. How would you respond in such a party? Some Christians are separatists and they would not even have attended these are called Ultra Conservative Christians, yet other Christians would attend the party and sing and dance and not look any different than the world. How about you?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing wrong with the ship being in the Sea
    The problem begins
    when the sea gets into the ship

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So in the church? The world in the church?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that we, by our actions, stand out as a separated people (salt and light). We can't do this if we are isolated from the world, but we also can't do this if we look like the world either.

I am surprised, however, that those people going off to college these days are listening to David Bowie.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Start by not loving the world or the things of which it consists.

1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

How to do this?

Psalm 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Put into practice the teachings of Jesus and develop His character in your life and it will be relatively easy to know how to navigate the world.

Why would we expect it not to be present?

Nothing wrong with that.

Sure, but are you being Christ to those around you?

Not all conversations have to be about what we commonly call "spiritual matters." I work outside the walls of the church and make numerous friends of many types of backgrounds. Having honest and friendly conversations with others - not putting on airs - goes a long way toward building bonds of trust and openness. The "spiritual things" ALWAYS come up eventually. No one can escape the big questions of life:

1. What is reality and what is our relationship to it?
    2. Who is well-off?
    3. Who is a truly good person?
    4. How does one become a truly good person?
    5. How do we know the our answers to questions 1-4 are true?

Sometimes you get to the big questions almost immediately, sometimes it takes a few years, but if you have laid the foundation of trust and openness with the other person, then the conversation flows naturally. Since I happen to believe that God is in control the circumstances around which He calls people to Himself, and since I strive to live within the flow of God's Spirit and work in coordination with His calling, I don't have to force the conversation to a time of commitment as soon as possible.

I'm not that big on parties, but I would probably go for a little while.

Jesus Himself had a lot of trouble that type of religious person. They condemned the "sinners" He associated with and His eating and drinking (wine) with them.

It's not about appearances, it is about being a certain kind of person - a disciple of Christ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To this we can agree.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist