1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to love god?/Is there sin of thoughts???

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by benz, Mar 8, 2005.

1. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Well, for starters, what if you exaggerate something right before you die? Will that send you to hell? Of course not. Even thought Rev 21:8 says that liars will not go to heaven. Jesus died for all our sins, past, present, and future. He wants you to have victory over that part of your life. Maybe you could get an accountability partner, and be totally truthful with this person, on a daily basis. This might possibly keep your actions pure. Scripture memory has also helped me when I am tempted. Its hard to think about sinning while your are speaking or reading Scripture. I dont pretend to know the answers. But I do know that if you are sincere and are willing to do what it takes to rid yourself of your "stronghold", you can do it. Maybe a nice long chat with your pastor would help. I'll be prayin' for ya. [​IMG]
    Tater

2. Mark d1299

Mark d1299 New Member

Thanks. Let me ask is there Scripture that would say this, That we are forgiven past,present future,or just a theme that we would believe.Memory is good,and a accountabilty partner would be great,if I knew someone to share with.I'm looking, mine is somewhat a embrassing thing and most would think I was just a freak,therefore I keep it to myself.

3. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Hey Benz, and Mark d1299,

You know what? You sound just like someone else I've heard of. In fact, you're in pretty good company. What you write about your struggles sound just like the struggles that Paul wrote about. He said that he knew the right thing to do, but he went ahead and did the wrong thing anyway. And at times when he knew something was wrong, he still did it.

Something you must realize, and this is the key to understanding security, what you do is not who you are. Who you are is a son of God, a redeemed, glorified, fully forgiven, child of God. In speaking of his sin, Paul said "it's not me, but the sin nature inside me that does this". This is a battle we all go through every day. Take comfort from the fact that because you're in a battle, it means there's a new man there to battle the old man. For those without Christ, this battle doesn't exist. So what you do, even when what you do is wrong, doesn't change who you are.

Some practical stuff - I work a lot with recovering addicts, and one of the things we tell them is that in order for them to stay clean they have to change their playmates, their playthings, and their playplaces. That may be something you need to do. Take an inventory of your life and see what's there that is making your walk with Christ more difficult. Stay away from people, places, and things that cause you to stumble. In war, retreat is a legitimate tactical maneuver, so don't think you have to overcome temptation every time. It's usually a much better idea to flee from it than to fight with it. So take a hard look at your life, the people you hang with, the music you listen to, the tv shows and movies you watch, and change the things that are making your life difficult.

As for Scripture to back up that you are secure in Christ, how about Romans 8:38-39 "and I am convinced that nothing can separate us from his love. Death can't, and life can't. Our fears for today, our worries about tomorrow, and even the power of hell can't keep God's love away. Whether we are high above hte sky or in the deepest ocean, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord."