1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to turn America back towards God

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Gup20, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you look at the story of Elijah - Israel had turned away from God and Elijah wanted it to turn back towards God.

1Ki 19:14 And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, [even] I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

God told this prophet to do three things to turn Israel back to God.

1Ki 19:15 And the LORD said unto him, Go, return on thy way to the wilderness of Damascus: and when thou comest, anoint Hazael [to be] king over Syria:
    1Ki 19:16 And Jehu the son of Nimshi shalt thou anoint [to be] king over Israel: and Elisha the son of Shaphat of Abelmeholah shalt thou anoint [to be] prophet in thy room.
    1Ki 19:17 And it shall come to pass, [that] him that escapeth the sword of Hazael shall Jehu slay: and him that escapeth from the sword of Jehu shall Elisha slay.

Notice the 3 important things for turning the nation back to God - anointing a king... anointing a military leader... and anointing a prophet. So why is the anointing so important?

Isa 10:27 And it shall come to pass in that day, [that] his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing.

The anointing gives power to break yokes and remove burdens. Of course we know that Christ means "annointed". In the old testament we see that God anointed Hazeal and Jehu for war - or specifically to kill the enemies of God who had lead Israel astray.

We can relate that to us in the USA. What do we need? We need men willing to hear from God, leaders willing to follow the Lord, and a strong military.

1Ti 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, [and] giving of thanks, be made for all men;
    1Ti 2:2 For kings, and [for] all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
    1Ti 2:3 For this [is] good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

How do we lead a quiet and peaceable life? By aligning our country with the will of God. How do we go about that? We elect a Godly man as president, we have strong military that resists evil throughout the earth, and we follow the will of God revealed by the prophets of our day.

We can already see this in action with George W Bush, for example. However, this is not ONLY the office of presidential authority... but this includes all positions of authority (as we see in 1Timothy 2. This means our senators, our congressmen, our city leaders, and our judges. Our next elected president, for example will probably be appointing 2 new Chief Justices to the Supreme Court over the next 4 years. If you look at the Party Platforms of Bush and Kerry, you will see that the majority of Democrat's social policies lead people away from Christ. For example, they support both abortion and homosexual marriage. You can also see that part of the deomocrat's platform is to decrease our military. Our focus and direction as a nation is entirely dependent upon our elections November 2nd.

The next step is to bless and protect Israel. Clearly, this was part of Hazeal's role in the Old Testament, and it is directly connected to the FIRST promise of God to Gentiles. We find this promise in Genesis 12.

Gen 12:3 And I will bless them that bless thee [Israel], and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

So how do we bless Israel? We do it by showing solidarity and support of Israel. That can come by supporting them in their soverignty as a nation and their right to all their land. It can also come by helping them remain protected from terrorists like Hamaas and the palestinian authority (Arafat). We can also bless Israel with our foreign policy - such as taking out Saddam Hussein, for example.

2. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Annointing a leader? Christ IS Gods annointed and in Him we share His annointing. Scriptures speak of Christ. The Yoke was the Law of Moses, Christ broke that yoke so we can take His yoke upon us. This is a picture of that. It has nothing to do with Bush or politics or anything like that.

God Bless

Seth3

3. wopik

wopik New Member

Many assume that, once we have faith in Jesus Christ, there is no more need to keep the law.

Paul himself addressed this concept in Romans 3:31:

"Do we then make void [Greek katargeo, meaning 'destroy' or 'abolish'] the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish [Greek histemi, meaning 'erect' or 'make to stand'] the law".

Faith does not abolish the law, said Paul; Faith establishes and upholds the Law.

http://bible.crosswalk.com/InterlinearBible/ -- type in the “search for” box “make void” and “establish”.

4. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Yeah I AGREE,Whats the problem? I don't need a link to show me what I understand. The Yoke IS the law of Moses as the scripture says, but its NOT walking under it that the righteousness of God is established in us. Its completely by FAITH which WORKETH LOVE=UPLHOLDS THE LAW.

The law itself cannot do that, it makes nothing perfect it shows you your sin. THATS IT. The knee BOWS at the law it brings you to a place all who were ever under it should be "Who shall save me from THIS BODY OF DEATH!!??"

GOOD place... (((NOW))) Faith CAN WORK. But if you weren't brought "there" you cannot know this. You'd simply get both confused confessing Crist and justifying the law and kinda not knowing where you are in the matter. They walk around asking, "Is this a sin"? "is that a sin"? Because they are SIN CONSCOIUS =Under the law. Aware of only what is Sin.

Anything not of faith is sin.

God bless

Seth3

5. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Acts 15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command [them] to KEEP THE LAW OF MOSES.

Its seen as the YOKE (Christ Broke off that WE take up His Yoke)

Acts 15:10 Now therefore WHY TEMPT YE GOD, to put a YOKE UPON THE NECK of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the YOKE OF BONDAGE.

Seth3

6. billwald

billwald New Member

God no longer favors nations but saves individuals.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The U.S. is NOT Israel. Israel in the OT was created and led by God. It was a theocracy. The U.S. is not the same at all, and I don't think we can't turn the U.S. back to God because I don't think we ever specifically belonged to God more than any other country.

We can witness and reach out to those who are lost.

I agree with billwald.

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Forget bringing the US back to God. We were never there. What should be our focus however, is bringing the church back to God. The ONLY reason this nation is in the pits is because the church is in the pits with it.

Try this link. This guy is a bit rough around the edges, but then, so was John the baptizer.

www.townhall.com/columnists/douggiles/dg20041030.shtml

I think, if you really love God and this country, you would agree with him.

In His service;
    Jim

9. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    According to the Bible, God does deal with Nations. There are 3 primary groups of people God deals with -

1Cr 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

The "Gentiles" in this verse can be said "Nations".

So God see's 3 covenant groups of people.

We see in the Old Testament that God dealt with Nations - for example the Amorites - as a group. We see from the New Testament that God continues to honor covenants, even when new covenants are made.

God is the same yesterday, today and forever. He honors His own word... even when we do not.

10. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

I see them as Spiritual Nations actually. Look at Revelation, those UNDER THE LAW = Old Jerusalem which is SPIRITUALLY CALLED Sodom Egypt where the Lord was crucified.

Heres where Christ struck them blind at the DOOR (Himself) and led His people out from it. Striking down the FIRSTBORN (Of the flesh) all Symbolic to me.

God bless

Seth3

11. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

God may "deal" with nations at times, but His primary move towards man now is salvation, and in this, the only "nation" He favors is the spiritual nation of true believers. (1 Pet.2:9). Yes, God worked with a physical nation before, under the Old Covenant, but through this, He was teaching that physical nations and inheritance do not make man righteous (Matt. 21:43, John 1:12,13)
    So Americans do not need to hear that they are basically good, as God's nation, and that their sins are all someone else's fault (infiltration by non-Western, non-democratic principles; morality, etc)(even that Doug Giles page av1611 linked to places the blame ultimately on liberalism) and only need to do certain works, such as praying to God in public and toning down sexual immorality, to please God. This foster's nominalism; which thinks you can just give lip service to God, without actually following Him, and you will be saved as part of the nation. Perhaps this is why it "fell" so much in the first place. It was only nominal in the past, and while we looked at this as being so godly; it lacked any spiritual substance, so as the basically unconverted populace fell away from even their profession and outward morality, then it looked like a fall away from God. Perhaps they realized that they no longer needed Him for the shallow reasons they "had" Him in the first place. (i.e. technology would prove our "superiority" in the world, so "God" was no longer needed for that purpose). So the question is did they ever have God to begin with?
    The basic message of the Gospel is salvation, and salvation is on an individual basis; never national. God's dealings with a nation today may be to raise or make it fall, for His own purposes, but not to save everyone in it if they do good works and give Him lip service.

12. billwald

billwald New Member

>The Yoke was the Law of Moses, Christ broke that yoke...

Either Paul is misinterpreted or Paul misunderstood the purpose of the Mosiac Covenant, strictly a social contract for those living in the Land.

There isn't a single verse in Exo thru Deut that applies to salvation in the next life or to gentiles living outside the land.

I have made this claim for several years on several lists and no one has ever shown me wrong.

13. proddavid

proddavid New Member

I am afraid Gup that there are some very strong connections between the IRA and the Middle East networks. You seem to leave this out. British observers have seen IRA-style bombs that could only come from IRA experts somewhere in Ireland, no doubt the North. It is just not the groups you write about it.

Many nations have prospered without supporting Israel. We did not until 1945 or so and look at what this country did. We prospered because America was appointed to let the poor and the oppressed to come here to worship and live in freedom. The outcasts, who could have been so much in their homelands, came here and grew in the grace God granted America. Spain, England, France and many other countries kicked Jew out into the sea and still prospered very well. Just on the historical evidence I cannot support this idea. When Colombus set sail, Jews were swimming the bay beause they were cast out into the sea. And look at what the New World became. Is it not true that many people make the claim that God moved to make this nation great? Israel was not even there when all of this happened. I have plenty of blessings at the foot of the cross where there are no Jews or Gentiles, just the sinner, as I, at the doorway to grace. What more do I need? I am already blessed. I walk about my home experiencing the spirit of God for He separated me from my mother's womb and called to me by His grace. What does Israel have to do with this? In his fashion it have nothing to do with it.

There is something odd about your post. You seem to think that all Democrats are not Christians, that they all want gays, that they are all baby killers. That is sort of a sad description of the situations many homeless girls found themselves in without a church to go to for help as they reluctantly chose abortion. It is sad when the Church would not combat the ideology behind it and the social and cultural aspects. We are not in fight of figuring out who gets what blessing because of this or that. We are against powers and seductive principalities that brought this to our doorstep.

We have more to look at. What sins are greater? Fornication, drinking, drugs in the church, lies, adultery and even looking at the poor, shunning the sinner that might venture in? What sins are greater? I agree on abortion but its part of a much deeper problem.

Nothing will change until we hang our heads after the Holy Spirit has convicted us to do so. It will all come from God the Father. We have gone too far from our mission and command of loving God and our neighbour.

Myself, I see this. Here we have gay ministers now. Drunks who come in and serve communion and go the bars right off, prosperity churches that drive the poor away and shun them. In the little white church I grew up in, it was better to build a 150,000.00 building then give to the poor and the evangelist of the church showed up drunk or stoned to perform his duties. Who knows who is sleeping with whomever? I left it right off when I returned.

May God convict all of the Church to return and rid itself of the wolves amongst us and to throw off our sin. We cannot do it without God the Father and His Spirit.

14. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Thanks for the site AV1611Jim

15. billwald

billwald New Member

The USofA prospered after WW2 because:
    1. it was the only industrial nation with an intact production facilities.

2. G.I. Bill kept the returning GIs off the job market and put them into mostly technical schools.

3. The Marshall Plan, besides being philintropic, created a market for American production.