1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Truly CHRISTIAN is it???

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Christian_1, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Christian_1

Christian_1 New Member

Just so I don't offend anyone, there is a denomination which teaches that praying to people other than God is acceptable, and in fact, that religion encourages it, and teaches it as part of its doctrine.

It uses prayer beads.

It teaches faulty doctrines concerning 'purgatory' and the use of things called 'indulgences' are encouraged.

It teaches the false doctrine known as 'transubstantiation'.

It bases salvation more on works than through Jesus Christ, our Lord.

It practices superstition in that it promotes the wearing of specific things (such as differently-colored 'scapulars' to supposedly assure them of certain things.

It has specific 'saints' named from everything from alopecia to zoophobia.

It labels all others outside it walls 'separated brethren'...

Personally, and from having unfortunate experiences with it due to one family member joining it, I really object to its teachings, and feel it leads away from God more than TO HIM.....and I would appreciate comments from other members on this.

That family member has since 'disowned me' as a family member because I speak out against its false teachings.

I honestly feel that particular religion is doing far more harm than good, in that it leads souls to Hell instead of Heaven.
    Sincere request.....
    Thanks, and God bless
    C1

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

While speaking out against false teachers is alright, and probably what we are to do. I kow I do it too, especially this religion your talking baout. Is it really helping your family member come back to God? Has anything you said done any good to make them see the error of joining this religion? Prehaps you are accomplishing the opposite of what you intend to accomplish?

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Speak the truth in love! Pray for them, love them, share with them. And let God do His Work!

4. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Don't worry so much about criticizing, rightly I would add, their religion.

Catholicism has been around for about a millenia and half and will be around like other false religions until the Lord returns.

If you are alienating them, you are simply a stumbling block to them.

Just tell them about Jesus and the way of salvation. It is the job of the Holy Spirit is to convict them of their sin.

If they come to believe in Jesus, they will be forced to leave some things behind, just like the rest of us.

MR

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

6. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

1 Timothy 2:5 says there is only ONE mediator between God and man,Jesus Christ.

This verse essentially got me EX-communicated gladly from the Catholc church..

It re-enforced what God says NOT TO DO. It directly goes against what the Catholic church practices...prayer to saints, or in otherwords the followers of Christ.

7. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

While I would agree that we must share the truth in love. We must also not forget that many of our forebearers died rather than acknowledge the above list as being right.

I am grateful for the faithful that have come before, may we remain faithful for those who will come after us.

Bro Tony

8. Christian_1

Christian_1 New Member

Thanks for the replies, folks [​IMG]
    I thought that rather than reply to each person individually, I'd post a generalized response.
    In the first place, I doid not abandon or alienate them - THEY abandoned and alientated me. My brother's wife also took it upon herself to literally 'wear the pants in that marriage' - by blocking my phone so I cannot call my brother, by intercepting ALL land and email, etc. because of that, I could not even send my brother a birthday card, because she intercepted and threw it out as soon as it arrived, before he even got to see it.
    My Christmas gift was refused.... this was years ago, and I've stopped trying to send any mail to him, or send any gifts, for this reason.
    He is also FULLY AWARE that she has been doing this.
    His wife has been telling horrible lies concerning me, and even to the point of involving her deceased mother, which is sad, because her Mom is not around to even defend herself.

She has disowned every other member of her family except one sister, and even she was 'on the outs' for some time. she has previously cursed her own Dad, claiming that 'as far as she is concerned, the %&%* is dead already'... when I challenged her on that cursing about him, she claimed that 'she had good reason to say what she did, but has since reconciled with him' -another bold lie on her part, as I know her Dad well, and he is totally disgusted with her as well as her attitude.

I HAVE forgiven them both for what they did, and I DO pray for them, believe me- but according to my brother's 'wife' she imagines I am too sinful for Heaven.......
    When I was hospitalized last New Year's Day with pneumonia, they never even called the hospital to see if I was still breathing - and I was QUITE ill, and in the Critical Care Unit for four days, then out on the main floor areas for another three before being discharged home, where I spent another month recuperating.

I TRY to think nicer thoughts about them, but given their actions against me, I also find it impossible, and I guess all I CAN do is pray over it continually.

I cannot help but wonder though, how long it'll be before God opens their eyes- ESPECIALLY my brother's eyes, who has allowed his wife to lord it over him.

Thanks, everyone, and I'd also appreciate your prayers in this regard.

God bless
    C1

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Raphael, you aren't supose to be in this forum.
    Religion? Yes, RCC is a religion. But then so is buddisim, hinduism, taoism, islam.
    Christianity is a relationship with the living God. Not others which go by many names,( buddah, mary, vishnu).
    I hope you notice the difference there.

10. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Continue to pray and try to keep the door open. hopefully through prayer this family member will develop a love for truth. Truth is the way out of any false religion. But you gotta want it.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you like me to move this to ALL CHRISTIANS forum so that some of the Catholic Faith might answer your points?

I would prefer a topic to discuss a point (i.e., purgatory, praying to saints) in the Baptist Theology section than to see the shot-gun approach here.