1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How was Samuel aware?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Feb 3, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the book of Samuel we read of Saul and the Witch of Endor who was aware of events that were going to happen. How was he aware? Are people presently in the intermediate state aware of events on the earth?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The episode is told in 1 Samuel 28 [3-25].

Background: (abbreviated)

Saul disobeyed; God's hand was against him​

1 Samuel 12:14–15 (LEB) If you will fear Yahweh, and serve him, and listen to his voice, and not be rebellious against what Yahweh says, and both you and the king who rules over you will follow after Yahweh your God, all will be well. But, if you do not listen to the voice of Yahweh, and you rebel against what Yahweh says, then the hand of Yahweh will be against you as it was against your ancestors.​

14:37 (LEB) So Saul inquired of God, “Should I go down after the Philistines? Will you give them into the hand of Israel?” But he did not answer him on that day.

28:6 (LEB) And Saul inquired of Yahweh, but Yahweh did not answer him, not by dreams or by the Urim or by the prophets.​

…Saul was desperately seeking for a word from God.​

Saul’s request: “Please consult a spirit for me… [v8]. “Bring up Samuel for me.” [v9]

Lesson Focus:

Saul chose to follow his own ways rather than God’s ways; he was rebellious and did not follow after God with his whole heart. God’s hand was against him.

Questions:

Who/what did the woman bring up?

Saul’s request: “Bring up Samuel for me.” [v9]

Woman’s response: “… the woman saw Samuel…” [v12]

1 Samuel 28:13–14 (LEB) The king said to her, “Do not be afraid! What do you see?” And the woman said to Saul, “I see a god coming up from the ground!” Then he said to her, “What is his appearance?” She said, “An old man is coming up, and he is wrapped in a robe.” Then Saul realized that it was Samuel, and he knelt with his face to the ground and bowed down.​

Other versions: “ghostly figure” (NIV), “god” (LEB, ESV), “divine being” (NAS95)

Hebrew transliteration: “elohim”​

Research:
    “The biblical writers refer to a half-dozen different entities with the word elohim. By any religious accounting, the attributes of those entities are not equal.

• Yahweh, the God of Israel (thousands of times—e.g., Gen 2:4–5; Deut 4:35)

• The members of Yahweh’s council (Psa 82:1, 6)

• Gods and goddesses of other nations (Judg 11:24; 1 Kgs 11:33)

• Demons (Hebrew: shedim—Deut 32:17)

• The deceased Samuel (1 Sam 28:13)

• Angels or the Angel of Yahweh (Gen 35:7)”

Michael S. Heiser, The Unseen Realm: Recovering the Supernatural Worldview of the Bible, First Edition. (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2015), 30.​

Was the spirit Samuel? Answer- ???? maybe.

Did the spirit convey God’s message of condemnation? Yes

Conclusion: God used the spirit to convey his message.​

God delivers his word in various ways and through various mediums.

Rob