How we "do" church?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pastorba, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Pastorba

Pastorba
    Expand Collapse

As a pastor who wasn't saved, nor set foot in a church until I was 21 one of the thingst that has always fascinated me is that you can go to several churches and they seem to "do" church very similarly.

I thought it might be interesting to hear how some of our "traditions" got started and carried from church to church. For example I have heard that the normal starting time for Church/Sunday School is around 9:30 to 10:00 because it was convenient for the farmers coming in from the field.

Do you know of any other "stories" behind the ways we "do" church?

Let me be clear, I am not trying to debate whether it is right or wrong how we do things, just thought it might be fun to hear of how some of these things got started. I know much of what we do is found in the New Testament, I just wonder how much of what we do is biblical mandate, versus personal preference, or more likely, "That's the way we have always done it."

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Much of modern "church" is either from Constantine era or from Martin Luther era.

Example? RC had Sunday morning mass. Usually at sunrise. Luther slowly changed the time, as he would spend late hours on Saturday in the inns, debating theology.

Finally moved to 11:00 am which was as late a "start time" that will still be a Morning Service.

In my first church, we had SS at 9:30, AM at 10:30 lunch and afternoon service so dairy farmers could get home, take a nap and milk at 6 pm.

3. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver
    Expand Collapse

Interesting question. Lots of the way we "do" church isn't scriptural one way or the other, so I do think there is considerable latitude in some areas, like meeting times, condition of the facilities. Living in a rural area, with lots of farms, etc., we don't do the mid-week service that a lot of folks do, we meet Saturday and Sunday, so that working folks wouldn't be so pressured. We also meet at 3 p.m. on Saturday so that old folks won't have such a hard time driving home after services, still daylight out even in winter. We meet at 10:30 on Sunday morning, mostly so the dairy farmers can get their work done and get there. We also don't object if someone comes to church in their overalls, or are dirty, we know that there is work to be done. Sometimes more work than can be done in 24 hours.