1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How were people saved in the old testament?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, May 14, 2008.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Except that you cannot find an instance where any individual ever is said to have 'repented' in the OT, except Job. (Job 42:6) Although Israel and Ninevah are said to have 'collectively' repented. (Jdg. 21:6,14; Jer. 31:19; Mt. 12:41; Lk. 11:32)

On the other hand, the ~30 times God (did or did not) repent seem to get little press, in most churches I've been in. (Gen. 6:6,7; Ex. 32:12,14; Num. 23:19; Deut. 32:36; I Sam. 15:11, 29, 35; II Sam. 24:16; I Chron. 21:15; Ps. 90:13; 106:45; 110:4; 135:14; Jer. 4:28; Jer. 18:8,10; 20:16; 26:3,13,19; 42:10; Ezek. 24:14; Hos. 1:8; Joel 2:13,14; Am. 7:3,6: Jon. 3:9,10; 4:2; Heb. 7:21)

In fact, God repented so often, He says He got tired of doing it. (Jer. 15:6c)
    BTW, Job repented, but his three friends were the one required to bring the sacrifices to the presence of Job, who then prayed for them. (Job: 42:7-10)

Yup! Not heard a whole lotta' sermons on any of the above.

Ed

#21 EdSutton, May 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008
  2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Courtesy of Palatka51:
    "18 Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
    19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar."

GE:
    " ... in thy good pleasure ... Then shalt thou be pleased with ... righteousness.

The Old and the New; and the common of both, is the latter.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Keen observation, Ed Sutton! Whose, will you say, is the "contrite heart"? Yea, to revel in! This is a joyous truth!

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Palatka51:
    "Sound familiar? It does to me. It sounds like Grace was granted after repentance."

True, but only because Grace was granted unto, repentance, first.

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Was sin imputed to Adam and Eve? Was sin imputed to Cain? Are you certain of your position here? Have you read God's words to Cain lately? Was that written before of after the law that you refer to?

6. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Romans 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world:but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
    14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

What Samuel Owen said is directly from the Bible.

#26 Cutter, May 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2008
  7. peterotto

peterotto New Member

Since you are a dispensationalist and interpret Jesus return through your eyes reading the headlines of the day. I'll answer for you.

You believe there are two different types of salvation. One for the Jews and one for the "Church age". In otherwords, faith plus works before Christ, faith alone for those after Christ, and faith plus works for the Jews again during the Great tribulation.

8. Samuel Owen

Samuel Owen New Member

Faith plus Nothing = the salvation of the Lord. To the Jew first, then unto the Greek.

I don't have time to get into it right now, very much more than this. This is Bible Study night, and I have to get ready to go. :)

9. trustitl

trustitl New Member

You might be reading into his words something that is not there. If you notice, he asked "How were people saved in the OT?". His words imply that something was done on their behalf to save them.

You seem to think he is using the word "save" more like we use the word escape.
    To be saved implies an outsider doing something to result in one being rescued.

10. Butch5

Butch5 Guest

Are you sure that baptism does not save?

11. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. By grace through faith -- you know "the Gospel"
    2. Gal 1:6-9 says there has only ever been "one Gospel"
    3. Heb 4:1 says "the Gospel was preached to us just as it was to them also".
    4. 1Peter 1 -- Peter describes the fact that the OT saints were told about "the sufferings of Christ AND the glories to follow"
    5. Enoch was taken directly to heaven -- Heb 11 and Genesis 5 make that point.

in Christ,

Bob

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Great point of view...

Ac 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Samuel Owen:
    "Adam also believed this same promise. As it was spoken to him, in the Garden of Eden."

GE
    Yea! And this ame promise as it was spoken to Adam, in the garden of Eden, was spoken to Abel, and to Abraham, and to Abraham Lincoln, and to Samuel Owen, and to Gerhard Ebersoehn - right there and then - 'in the garden of Eden, in 'Paradise', even as it was then and there spoken to the thief on the cross, 'in the garden' as it was then as then as today, spoken by God, in Christ and through Christ and for the sake of Christ, only, and ever and once for all.

Let it be clear, like any are saved today, all were saved from the first sinner. Only they all and everyone, had to be, sinners, first. That is the only condition we all, indiscriminately share, and must share, in order for Christ to be the Saviour of us all.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And, of course, the fact - I must say it because it pleased God to declare it - that He chose to be the Saviour of us (who believe we are God's saved).

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

interesting perspective, I never gave much thought to how the theif received the word. Are you saying it was visually spoken to him in the actions taking place around him to the point that he said, "Truly this must be the Son of God" or can you expound on this a bit more. i think you are really on to something here... :thumbs:

So much so that the Lamb was slain in time before the foundation of the world. Thank you Lord... :thumbs: :godisgood:

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    LeBuick:
    "interesting perspective, I never gave much thought to how the theif received the word. Are you saying it was visually spoken to him in the actions taking place around him to the point that he said, "Truly this must be the Son of God" or can you expound on this a bit more. i think you are really on to something here... "

GE
    First a little correction. It was the centurion who said these words, not the thief. But it's immaterial since salvation visits all in the only way God willed it. Thief or centurion. John uses this simplest of all statements, Our names "written in the Book of Life from before the foundation of the world".

Karl Barth (I have often referred to) says Christianity that not ganz und gar und restloss / completely and without reserve is eschatology, completely and without reserve has nothing to do with Christ. (I think one of his most quoted and least understood sayings.) It is on this priciple I believe the elect are saved from everlasting to everlasting. At no one point in time, not, by faith in Jesus Christ through Grace. Not one single soul has ever been saved other than through and by the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This is the one point in the vast discipline of theology and even vaster reality of salvation I a priori shall not be proven wrong in.