1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How will I know which church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jprieto, May 2, 2012.

1. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

I would look at their statement of faith.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    there are many baptist churches that are, also many non baptist too!

3. jprieto

jprieto New Member

I once was told this from a man who attended Potential Church in Cooper City, Florida -- a great church indeed --- however, after doing some background research, I discovered that is used to be called Flamingo Baptist Church ..... but then name was changed to Flamingo Church for the sake of growth, they felt ..... and so many pastor have also dropped the word "baptist" from the church name. Now they changed the name again to POTENTIAL CHURCH.

Its a nice place, been visiting it for 2 years, but not one person has ever bothered to ask me if i am saved or have any need that they can assist with.

Now i go to baptist missional church, where everyone knows your name, and everyone ministers to each other's needs. A place where nobody attends without being approached and presented God's plan of salvation.

Joel Olsteen, John Hagee, and other popupar TV Pastors followed suit taking the word baptist out of their church name for the sake of growth. Yes, their churches are huge, but the spiritual level --in their personal lives-- perhaps are not so high. We cannot confuse church attendance with legit christian living outside the church.

Let Olsteen preach total surrender to God, and separation from sinful friends, and see how quickly that church will melt.

Sadly, they are incorrect, because the Bible teaches in 1 Corinthians that it is God who gives the increase, not the one who plants it, nor the one who manages it!

#23 jprieto, May 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now why does the "Cheers" Theme Song keep playing in my head? :laugh:

Guess Ive actually known bars & pubs like that....think about it!

#24 Earth Wind and Fire, May 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
  5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We started a new church campus of our home church and have had 10 decisions for Christ since we started. Not bad with a weekly attendance of only about 45 or so! :)

Oh and we started the new church under a new name because Northport Baptist Church in Holtsville just sounded weird. So we are now Island Christian Church - and the Gospel is preached, we have a great community and people's lives are being changed by Jesus Christ.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

What is OPX? If you're referring to the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, there was none where he lived. He served in an independent Presbyterian church for many years. It was quite conservative and traditional.

When he moved to Western Kentucky, there was no OP church here either. The mainline Presbyterian churches were too liberal for him. He found a home in a Baptist church.

I have been quite fortunate in my Baptist live. Haven't met any wingnuts that I remember. There were a few characters, though, and an occasional old grouch.

Sorry, I don't understand the Osteen reference (not Olsteen). Care to elaborate on what you're talking about?

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oldstean, rothstein, Blausteen whatever..... I have great respect for Orthodox Presbyterian & Reformed Baptist Churches because they tend towards good consistent orthodox Christian theology....much more so than the many variations of Baptist Churches....which are ubiquitous in the South. My point is if he were looking for consistency, he should have made those churches the gold standard...not Baptist....that could mean anything. He was probably just looking for entertainment probably & Im sure he got it. :laugh:

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My brother-in-law was one of the most deadly serious believers I ever knew. If anything, he would have walked away from a church which sought to entertain its members.

He would not have joined just any Baptist church. The one he did join passed his test for devotion to the scriptures and its practice of carrying out the scriptural commands.

Please take care not to make such statements about someone who don't know.

9. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the only way to really tell a good church from one that isn't, is going to the church in person. Now you can usually can narrow down churches by what's on their website by paying attention to their doctrinal statements, what events they do (shows where they focus their time), looking at their staff and where they might have their theological education from (usually will tell you where their beliefs fall), etc. However, I don't think there's any substitute of going in and being there. I've found there have been churches that from all the research I've done seemed like it'd be a great church... walked in and immediately felt that it was wrong. Does it feel like a waste of time? Yes. Is it? No.