1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How would you amend the U.S. Constitution?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by fromtheright, Jan 14, 2006.

1. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Right, I did mean Ohio. I must have been thinking about the 1960 election. I don't understand why you say doing away with the electoral college would take away all responsibilities and powers vested in the states. They have a lot of other areas in which they exercise power. (BTW I grew up in the South so this isn't a state's rights argument.) I simply think we could get a better electoral process and a fairer result without the electoral college.

With the precision of modern polling techniques, the EC allows candidates to focus on a few key states and those states get most of the campaigning and in effect elect the president. This allows for the very real danger of tampering with the results.

This process was put into effect to protect the influence of small states but as I argued above it now effectively disenfrancises most of the states small and large. I believe it also reduces the number of people who vote in states where the election is one-sided.

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scrap the whole US Code and start over with just the Constitution with one Amendment. One that somehow breathes new life into the 10th Amendment by disallowing a liberal or flexible reading of the Constitution.

For instance, it should have required a change of the USC to institute the type of wealth transfers we see under the New Deal and Great Society.

I think the environment is a legitimate interstate concern for the Federal Government but it should have required a Constitutional amendment.

Basically, there isn't a whole lot wrong with the USC itself... it's the abuse of it by those who have grown our gov't outside of its rightful bounds.