1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How would you handle this?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by abcgrad94, Dec 18, 2007.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Sopranette!!! A child should never ever, EVER, be allowed around WD-40 unattended! WD-40 should never, ever, EVER be used to treat head lice!

Do you have a clue what might occur if the child inhaled WD-40? Do you not know that the very can WD-40 comes in says to wash it off your skin should you come in contact with it? Why do think the manufacturer prints those things?????

The proper treatment for headlice is NIX or RID (rid-x is a product for septic tanks!). However if the entire house is not treated it will do no good whatsoever to treat the kids head. He's probably been treated already and the parent who have no clue how he got them in the first probably don't understand how to get rid of them. AND, it's expensive! The spray cans of insecticide that will kill lice and nits (lice eggs) cost better than $5 a can and go no further than one mattress(or sofa).

To truely get rid of lice and eggs you must: Spray every single porus surface, that can't be washed with very hot water, with the aforementioned expensive insecticide(carpets, sofas, mattresses, chairs, cushions, stuffed animals). Wash every single piece of fabric (curtains, sheets clothing) in HOT water and dry in a hot dryer. Wash every non porus surface with HOT water and detergent. Heat kills lice but the human body cannot withstand the temps it takes to kill them so sitting the kid under a hairdryer is not going to work. Hair brushes and combs have to be soaked in the proper solution as well.

The alternative is to leave the house for two entire weeks until the lice all die off.

Now, these parents probably don't have the resources or the education to deal with the problem. The Christian thing to do would be to offer to help them out and be sure they understand the process.

NIX btw, leaves one protected from infestation for 10 to 14 days after use.

Now, for lazy folk who are afraid of bugs and children who are of school age, you could just call the school system. Our sends the kids home until the problem is fixed iwth threats of truancy and child services if the problem is continual. Schools here lose money if the kid isn't in school so they have a vested interest in the kids being lice free. Health departments are also equipped to deal with such cases.

2. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Alright....don't use WD40. My mistake. Why I even got into this discussion is beyond me. Never had lice, my kids have never had it. It's just something I heard from someone else. Sorry!

love,

Soprnette

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I totally agree.

In my first post, I called the parents irresponsible, and while that may be true, it wasn't right for me to say that because I don't really know. It may be that that the parents have no idea what to do to get rid of the lice. They may be putting forth their best effort, but if they're doing the wrong things, it simply won't work.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's really important to make sure the things you recommend are valid, IMO. It can be really dangerous to recommend a home treatment that doesn't work AND can actually be harmful for the person - especially a child.

I understand your heart for these children but, as I said, treating my own children for lice would end up causing horrible blistering sores. What about MY child? Don't they have a right to be at Sunday School and feel safe? I would not be too happy if a child came to Sunday School with ANYTHING communicable - be it cold, flu, scabies or lice. Yes, these children need help and a hand from the church but there are ways to do it personally and NOT potentially infect the entire Sunday School. This would be a case of getting into the lives of the kids - not being a superficial Sunday School teacher. There's a big difference and it will make a big difference in the life of the child.

5. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

You are a great person, Sopranette.

I agree. If they are not members, do not treat them with WD40.

6. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Okay. Lesson learned.

warm, fluffy fondness

Sopranette

7. Joe

Joe New Member

No. You must follow the law.

This is not contingent upon whether the Department of Social Service does not appear to follow the law. Have your pastor husband witness this and ensure he files a report or the call will mean nothing. By law, if he has knowledge of this, he must do so. He is a mandatory reporter. He needs to leave his name, not call anonymously. When asked ion the phone if you would like to file a report, always say yes. Identities remains anonymous anyhow.

Do not keep this child out of church or she could endure further neglect, possibly abuse and you would not know it. How would you feel if you later learned this child was being sexually or physically abused? Or even died? It happens, so it's best to cover your basis.

If necessary, quarantine the child in a separate room with your own kids for a few more Sundays. If you follow the law, your CPS Department will act so take heart, it won’t be long :)

Pastors, Clergy childcare workers are mandatory reporters. Alll who witness this or have knowledge of this neglect must call to file a report each and every week. And others who are not mandatory reporters should call and make a report.

There are penalties for mandatory reporters who fail to follow the law. This is one of your state statues, there are more (West Virginia law) statue-§49-6-A Decent people, mandatory reporters or not, will call and file a report.

Social Services cannot by law"do nothing". This falls under child neglect. Because of the County budget, and the fact there are children in a much worse conditions, this is likely the reason this child is falling behind. I don't believe this is deliberate. CPS cannot act without filled report(s).
    Always say yes to leave a report and your name and phone. because by law, you must file a report. Don't call anonymously. You will remain anonymous anyway, but it gives more validity to the call. Especially when it is the Pastor/Pastors wife. Pastors, Clergy, and Childcare workers. The more filed reports by various individuals, mandatory reporters or not, who give their name, the more power.

As reports will pile up on this specific social workers desk, they will act. They will tire of them pilling up. In my experience, these reports often "get lost" when it is being transferred to another worker etc...many reasons.

Your information during the call is taken by an intake worker (The basic info) and it's then assigned to a social worker. All future reports regarding this child go into that persons inbox. All calls regarding this case are forwarded to that person. It takes only about 3 minutes to make a report, since your call will likely be sent straight through since they try to ensure the children's emergency hotline is not busy or forwarded to a machine.

If you ever speak with a worker, imo, be very gracious to them yet firm. Allow them to even be rude somewhat, they are often mentally exhausted. Thank them for their time, and tell them how much you appreciate them. They often work 50-60 hours per week with a workload = 80 hours per week.

All church Clergy and childcare workers, especially Pastors, need to be educated regarding the child abuse/neglect laws of your State. There are legal penalties which can occur when mandatory workers fail to report cases of child neglect/abuse. Continuous reporting will produce results. :)

#27 Joe, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2007
  8. Joe

Joe New Member

CPS doesn't break up families over lice. If needed, they will pay to have the family moved into a home or temporary motel situation where the living conditions are better. I believe there are "foggers" which kill these bugs. CPS will pay and educate the parents to ensure a healthy, clean home.

#28 Joe, Dec 18, 2007
  9. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Okay Sopranette, you're forgiven. :) I promise you aren't the only one to "hear" stuff and think it makes sense without ever really thinking it through. Many of us were never educated to understand how dangerous the chemicals we use every day can be. I suffered chemical burns as a child because my mother didn't understand that skin can burn if you put too much bleach into the dishwater. She was trying to be sanitary. I still have no hair growing on my fingers. You live and learn.

Joe, I'm not sure recurrent head lice is actually a sign of neglect. Lice are difficult to get rid of even when one knows what to do. We had a faimily, when I worked in daycare, which kept getting reinfested. The problem? They hadn't sprayed the dogbed. Lice are species specific so they thought it wouldn't be a problem, but it seems one of the very young children involved liked to play in it when she could get away with it.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Lice are a health issue...they are NOT a neglect issue. Head lice can show up in millionaire's kids or bankrupt ones.

I'm not comfortable with the comparison of head lice to sexually abused kids. Two totally different issues.

11. Joe

Joe New Member

Yeah, the neglect is interpreted, not completely spelled out. Good point. I was under the impression this has been going on for a long time, and the parent isn't attempting to rid her child of the lice. Maybe a lack of financial resources, that's usually the case.

It is neglect when it continues on for a long period of time, and due to the lack of effort by parents.

When one of our foster kids had lice, we had to throw away our new furniture. I burned it along with our bean bags etc...It was the dickens to get rid of.
    Since lice could be a sign of bad living conditions, I believe if they can, they will visit the home if enough reports are filed. Or maybe even one report, it depends upon how busy they are. That's the truth. Less calls, mean they aren't as busy. Well meaning workers will often drive out themselves to see what is happening, even on silly reports if there is time. They must act upon all reports, even silly ones, to cover themselves. Not sure what the "act" means offhand.

Any type of neglect is commonly linked to sexual abuse, sorry if that is an uncomfortable link. When a child is molested, he is more likely to be physically abused than another child.

We all know anyone can get lice, that doesn't need to be stated, but in this case, it sounds like the parents are not trying to get rid of it for whatever reasons. It seems to have been going on for a long time.

I worked for the Department of Social Services for a while years ago, my father in law was head of the Department, and we were foster parents. So what I am saying is what I have been trained, not just my opinion. With a phone call, I could find out the exact details of what a Social worker would do. It depends upon the worker, and their supervisor also.

#31 Joe, Dec 18, 2007
  12. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

Joe,

What you are saying is that I as the pastor needs to keep records of when the child has been sent home for this reason (lice) and then file a report to CPS? I didn't know that was something I was responsible for.

I have talked with one guardian of a child, who was upset with us for sending her home in the first place, then telling me they were treating her for this. My wife called the schools on the children to let them know what was happening. I did tell that guardian we would love to have the child at our church, just not the lice and she was fine with that. Also, I told her that we would be checking heads periodically to make sure that no one has them. My wife along with another lady would check the heads of ALL children so we don't single out any particular child. My wife and the other lady had to walk two children home and tell their parents.

We have offered to help, but the parents have refused our help.

13. Joe

Joe New Member

In most cases, it is not neglect. It helps to keep a record, but it isn't mandatory. If the child has head lice for a very long time, and the parents appear unwilling to get rid of it, like as you said, they refuse to, months go by, then it is neglect. Common sense tells us there are long term health issues which arise obviously, from bugs eating away at your scalp. Bacteria etc...in the scalp is sure to cause other health problems if left untreated.
    Obvously, parents who don't care about their children are more likely to be living in unsanitary conditions. Therefore, that is what the workers will look out for So yes, if they appear to fall under this catagory, I would call CPS. They will contact the teacher (though often the kids are homeschooled) usually.

In our area, hardly anyone is prosecuted for failing to contact CPS, even in the most extreme cases. I have never heard of it. It is a law that certain mandatory reporters be familiar with signs of neglect and abuse, and report them as they see it. No decent parent refuses to help their child get rid of lice. You are helping, and have contacted the teachers. If this persists for months, you should call CPS. They will help the family.

#33 Joe, Dec 18, 2007
  14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I just did a quick google and couldn't MUCH about reporting lice to CPS. I've worked with kids a long time and it's never been an issue, but we've never had chronic lice either.

However -- there does seem to be an issue with chronic lice - then it does become an issue for CPS. Three times seems to be the magic number, but that may change from area to area.

Here is one I found:
    http://www.frc.merced.k12.ca.us/frc....htm#CONTINUED_INFESTATION_OR_REOCCURRENCE_PR

15. Joe

Joe New Member

Yep, it would be a mess if everyone called CPS over head lice. Only if it persists, and the parents show signs of willful neglect, then there is becomes a risk regarding other issues of abuse or neglect. Over a period of time, when the lice continues, and they refuse help, I would call CPS.

I don't generally deal with school/teachers/doctors and nurses since foster parents have much more training regarding abuse and neglect,unless it is to check on a kid, or take them to the Doctor.
    We only do respite now (babysitting for foster kids).

#35 Joe, Dec 18, 2007
  16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for all the advice, especially yours, Joe. I had no idea we were supposed to report it, although I sure plan to. Social services has been called on this family for other issues and nothing happened, but I will try again. I do know it's common knowlege in the schools that these children "keep" lice, so between the school and church, maybe we can prove a pattern of neglect and they will do something to help these poor kids.

Oh the things we NEVER learned about in Bible college!

17. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

Thanks Joe, I just went to Mi.gov and found out I too am under a similar "mandatory reporter" law. I did not realize this. Perhaps this topic should be aired on the pastors forum. I wonder how many of us realize we are legally responsible under this statute.

In a case like this... The offer of help, I believe should be the first step, and if refused, then next step should be reporting. In many other cases, the first step should be reporting.

18. Joe

Joe New Member

Glad to hear you cared enough to looked it up. Many churches are not educating their Pastors/Clergy/Childcare workers concerning signs of abuse and laws.
    I believe there are resources to purchase to teach the churches about child abuse/neglect issues. I have forgotten now where I found it online some years ago. We have a non-profit group in our area who gives free talks to organizations and churches regarding child abuse issues and laws.

19. Joe

Joe New Member

You're welcome :)

20. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Wait a minute...what about clergy privilege? As far as I have ever been taught, the priest/parishioner (or similar for us Baptists) relationship is protected by privilige. If what you are saying is true, it is a violation of that privilege. I would suggest that everyone check their own state laws because if you mess up here, it could mean big problems either way. I.E., if you're a mandatory reporter and don't, you will be in trouble with the government; if you're not and you do, you will likely be in trouble with your church.

My head is itching just reading this thread. My eight year old came home with head lice from her summer visitations to her grandparents, and it was the devil to get rid of because she had such long her. We actually ended up taking her and getting a haircut so that it would be easier to see the nits and remove them. There are six of us, so it was terrible checking everybody every day. Luckily, three are boys, so hubby just shaved all of their heads! :laugh: I think my baby is still so little with hair so fine, they just couldn't get her, and I cut my hair short (which I usually do anyway) just as preventative. I definitely would not ever use anything not specifically designed to treat lice, though. It is expensive to buy the stuff, but for Heaven's sake most churches have funds set aside to help with things like this. If we hadn't been able to afford it, I would have called the church and asked them for help. Maybe that is the best thing a church seeing this problem could do...offer to help the parents with the purchase of the items needed to resolve this problem.