1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hows This

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, May 25, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said:
    I think the ThM could do that. I hope you do a thesis in the ThM then, and that the ThM work in general is a little more demanding than the MDiv.

==I am sure it will and I will certainly do a thesis. If one does not do a thesis why bother with the ThM? That is the whole purpose as far as I am concerned.

You said:
    Still, if we assume that doing a ThM is generally needful to fit one for doc work, what can we say about programs which allow entry into a doc program on the strength of only an MA?

==I am only speaking for me personally. I can't speak for any other person on this.

Martin.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said:
    My own personal view is that to perfect your theology you should experience different parts of the country. You will learn some very valuable lessons that will go with you wherever you go. I have lived in many states and a few different countries and find those things I learned have helped me to get away from opinions tied to a geographical area. For example if you went to Golden Gate Seminary you would be faced with some very different attitudes in the area that are not at all like the south.

==True. However I run into all sorts here in North Carolina. We are no Mayberry (though that would be nice [​IMG] ). In my place of work I deal with Christians, Muslims, Jews, Atheists, homosexuals, etc, etc. I have been confronted with about every view one can imagine. I also don't confine my studies to seminary. I am always studying and learning on my own.

You said:
    Some parts of the country are somewhat antagonistic toward Christians and you will hear the reasons why. Being around those people will give you a much different viewpoint. It will help you to learn how to share your faith in such a way that is probably different than what you have been shown where you live now. You will find what works and what does not.

==Very good points. I certainly agree 100%. When I start my MDiv I will be in and out of Atlanta. I know that is still in the south but it is larger than Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, Fayetteville/Fort Bragg, and Wilmington [​IMG] .

You said:
    In the end you will become a much stronger Christian.

==I agree. I would love to travel to different areas and study (etc). However I am some what limited in my travel range. That is for several reasons. Not the least of which is my 100% refusal to get on a airplane. If I can't get there by boat, train, or car, I am probably not going. :rolleyes: [​IMG] Seriously I have some obligations here that keep me from moving off (for a long period of time) right now. For that reason I am restricted to this general area.

However I do fully agree with you. [​IMG]

Martin.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin,

Let me reiterate what I have said on another thread. You might want to consider doing one advanced degree "outside the (Baptist) tradition." Some of my best learning has been done while doing two traditions which were not SBC (or even Baptist). I learned to think, know, and understand someone "who did not look and act like me."

Just a thought.

sdg!

rd