1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Huckabee cancels Covenant speech over Jimmy Carter's criticism of Bush

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, May 22, 2007.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

http://www.abpnews.com/www/2166.article
    Huckabee cancels Covenant speech over Jimmy Carter's criticism of Bush
    By Greg Warner
    Published: May 21, 2007

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (ABP) -- Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee has cancelled plans to speak at the New Baptist Covenant Celebration next January because of organizer Jimmy Carter's recent criticism of President Bush.

Carter criticized Bush's foreign policy in a May 19 interview with the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. “I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history,” Carter said.

[Moderator Note: The BB Copyright Policy requires that one only quote enough material to get one's point across and then provide a source reference and a weblink if applicable. Please do not post direct quotes of entire articles or major sections of articles.]

#1 gb93433, May 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

wow. said one thing and then turned right around and contradicted themselves in the next breath.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

GB, I got a great idea. To replace Huckabee, you could ask Kennedy and Pelosi. They would fit right in with the rest.

4. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Separation of church and state:
    One of the hallmarks of the baptist faith.

Could someone please remind Mr. Carter of this?

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How about Monroe?

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That would be interesting. Should we add the two border patrol agents who were arrested for catching a drug smuggler. Should we also add the smuggler who was let free twice so he could speak against those who arrested him? I guess that is one way of getting free cocaine. I wonder who kept the cocaine?

I wonder how it would look if we added all the illegals who were hired by the government since about the middle 60 to trim deseased trees in the pacific northwest?

Kind of reminds me of what I once read about the cycle of a nation.

200 Years As Average Civilization

What is past is prologue. History repeats itself as time marches on. A study of history shows that the great civilizations of the world have averaged about 200 years. The people of the world have followed this timetable.
    The people go:
    From slavery to spiritual faith
    From spiritual faith to courage
    From courage to liberty
    From liberty to abundance
    From abundance to selfishness
    From selfishness to apathy
    From apathy to dependence
    From dependence back to slavery.
    —The Bible Friend

7. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Separation OF

Just because we are believers, that does not mean that we cannot be a part of the political process. The idea of the Bill of Rights was not to eternally separte church and state, but to ensure that the state run churches of Europe did not become our model of government. Also for the church run states of Europe not to gain foothold in America.

To that end, it does not bother me to have a baptist involved in the political process as long as he does not warp his views because of it. This is what happens to most politicians with a religious background, they shun the bible in principle and embrace humanism until they need the religious vote. I have a real problem with this whole set up of Carter's. But then again, I have a real problem with Carter as a Christian.

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Carter cannot be accused of mixing church and State.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The thing I like about you is the high aspirations and lofty goals you have for the Christian faith.

10. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GB is such an encourager!

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Gotta add a little humor sometime.

12. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Frankly, I believe that Mr. Huckabee was catching so much heat for agreeing to appear in the first place that he was looking for any way out of his agreement. Lucky for him, Mr. Carter has become a loudmouth in his old age.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What I do not understand is that there are others doing the same thing such as Dobson and Robertson. What prompts those people to speak without wisdom?

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It takes a lot of gall for you to ask that question.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Th reason I ask the question is because as they have gotten older it seems they have made some statements that lack wisdom. Some are rather obvious. Just look at the recent issue of Robertson and the leader in Venezuela. It seems to me they are getting bolder and bolder in their statements and their statements sometimes lack wisdom about what they may accomplish by being said. Another case is Jimmy Carter. I am wondering why the difference compared to the way they were before? That is just an observation I have made and wonder if what I am seeing is right and why.

16. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Hooray for Huckabee.

17. Bro. James Reed

I think you'll find this true of most people when they hit a certain age. They forget that you just don't say certain things, even if the observation is obvious to everyone. My grandmother does the same thing, and her baby brother has a knack for saying things to people that would make you cringe.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have not experienced that in my side of the family. My grandmother died at the age of 97 and I never saw that in her. My dad as he gets older seems to be more careful in how he treats people. In fact we are gladly surprised in the changes we have seen in him.

Though I have seen some of what you suggest in my wife's mother as she gets older but she has some dementia.

So do you think it is dementia or something else? I have just wondered why? Is there a medical reason or do you think it is something else?

19. Bro. James Reed

My grandmother has dementia and so does her brother.

I think it all has to do with senility, in whatever form. Some people do not experience that, but I think most folks go a little nuts at a certain age.

Things they might used to just think, they now vocalize to everyone.

The first time my great uncle met my brothers then-fiance, he took her aside to tell her all the duties ad responsibilities of gatting married, and making sure she knew what she was doing. It left an awkward impression with her. Of course, she did file for divorce just 3 years later, so maybe he sensed something there.

My grandmother once told a neighbor who was asking about our cleaning lady why she didn't clean her house herself because that's the way she used to do it. She also asked her why she wasn't wearing a bra. (Is there a crawlspace under the floor?)

My other grandmother used to tell me "You get fatter everytime I see you." Of course, that may have been because she was just mean more than her Alzheimer's. She actually became nice once she lost her mind.

People that don't have a touch of senility/dementia after a certain age seem to be fairly rare.

They seem to ask questions no one else would dare ask.

Although, that might just be because they firgure, "I'm old and I don't care what people think anymore.":laugh: