1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hulda and Deborah

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by HankD, Jul 13, 2004.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The oft occurring question about the role of women in the Scriptures has surfaced again and I have a question concerning one of Paul’s statements:

1 Corinthians 14: 34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

How does this square with the fact that Hulda and Deborah were prophetesses who spoke in the name of the Lord, taught, advised, judged and ruled over men?

2 Kings 22:14-16
    So Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam, and Achbor, and Shaphan, and Asahiah, went unto Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe; (now she dwelt in Jerusalem in the college;) and they communed with her
    And she said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Tell the man that sent you to me,
    Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will bring evil upon this place, and upon the inhabitants thereof, even all the words of the book which the king of Judah hath read:

Judges 4:4-5
    And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.
    And she dwelt under the palm tree of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in mount Ephraim: and the children of Israel came up to her for judgment
    14 And Deborah said unto Barak, Up; for this is the day in which the LORD hath delivered Sisera into thine hand: is not the LORD gone out before thee? So Barak went down from mount Tabor, and ten thousand men after him.

I have no agenda, just curious as to how others look at this.

HankD

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Personally, I believe both women were 'in obedience'. They were both identified by their husbands name and the linage of his father. If there was a marriage problem they wouldn't have been identified as such.

Second, in the case of Deborah at least, there doesn't seem to have been a man to do the job. For whatever reason it was left to a woman to do.

The Bible doesn't say that a woman can't be in a secular position of government. What it does say is that there is a plan for the glorification of Christ that will lead others to Christ and help others grow in Christ if we will but follow it.

Marriage is symbolic of the way God wishes to see us in relationship to Christ. As we as Christians are to be subject to Christ so the woman in marriage is to be subject to her husband. As Christ loved the Church so much as to give his life for them so the husband is to love his wife.

This plan is also to be followed in the way we worship. Not to denigrate the women but to glorify God and his plan for our lives.