Hurricane Refugees

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges / Seminaries' started by superdave, Sep 12, 2004.

1. superdave

superdave
    Expand Collapse

We had our college students home from Clearwater in church with us this sunday, apparently the campus has been evacuated. It was nice to have them all home, but not for that reason.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Am I the only one who thinks there's way to much hype over this?

They moved a Miami NFL game to Saturday - and the storm won't even hit Florida (IF it comes within 500 miles of Miami) until Monday or Tuesday.

That is overkill. Why not actually WAIT and find out where the storm is heading and THEN move to high ground?

3. mozier

mozier
    Expand Collapse

Hello, Dr. Bob!

It all comes down to evacuation.

It would literally take days to move people out of an area. So if an area the size of Miami needed to move, then they would need as much time as possible. And believe me, after two major hurricanes (plus Tropical Storm Bonnie earlier), we Floridians are very, very stressed out now as it is. So better safe and overly cautious than sorry.

Of course, they could just cancel the game for another day, but come on, we have to have our priorities straight here! ;)

mozier,
    currently waiting it out here in Tallahassee

4. JGrubbs

JGrubbs
    Expand Collapse

Charley didn't make it's turn in to the state untill 6 to 8 hours before it made landfall, by that time it was too late for anyone in it's path to evacuate. All those people in Tampa who thought it was going to hit them evacuated and went to where it actually hit.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Where is this one going to hit? They messed up Miami and it looks like it will hit Mobile.

THAT is bad planning, all I'm saying! [​IMG]

6. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib
    Expand Collapse

Ivan just slashed between Mobil and Penscola right now at 4 am (Eastern Time).

I would like to know what's up on Penscola Christian College, how badly it hit there? I hope everything at Penscola Christian College is fine.

We will find out later during daytime today, to see how badly damaged areas between Mobil and Penscola.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

7. Ps104_33

Ps104_33
    Expand Collapse

Typical comment from a wyoming bumpkin. [​IMG]
    Sitting in evacuation traffic for 16 hours will cure your apethetic attitude. These hurricanes are nothing to fool with. A cat 5 will tear a tree out of the groung by the roots and throw it through your house. Ive seen it.

8. Pathwalker

Pathwalker
    Expand Collapse

You are absolutely right! I am South of you in Golden Gate and 4 hurricanes this year was very stressful. Yes, we did not have direct hits but we had wind and flooding damage from hurricane Charlie. I thank God for protecting us and the families on both sides of the coast.