1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hurricane season

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Jun 14, 2006.

?
  1. Chesapeake Bay (Baltimore/Washington)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Virginia Beach/Norfolk

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Jacksonville

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Miami/Fort Lauderdale

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Tampa Bay (Tampa; St. Petersburg)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Mobile/Biloxi/Gulfport

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. New Orleans

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  8. “Golden Triangle” (Port Arthur/Beaumont/Orange)/Lake Charles

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  9. Houston/Galveston

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. Corpus Christi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first tropical storm of the hot season did not produce a great deal of damage, but it did drop some heavy rains and may yet spawn tornadoes, and there is a small possibility it could regain strength over the Atlantic again. As this could be just the first of a bad season for tropical storms and hurricanes, which city or industrialized area in the higher-risk states is the most likely to suffer severe damage?

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I, for one, am afraid to even speculate. After going thru Katrina, I certainly dont wish it on anyone, but know that the possiblilty of another bad seasons for us looms.

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I say NO, because they're still below sea level.

4. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

Hello TaterTot,
    Where are you located? We live on the Ms. Coast. Ralph

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This poll, of course, is much more about our way of thinking, or our approach, to the possible disaster(s) from tropical storms and hurricanes, and our 'fears,' if you will, than about true knowledge. Meteorologists use data to forecast the likelihood of such storm disasters, but even they cannot tell us with certainly just where such destruction may happen. With New Orleans still on our minds and working itself out of last year's disaster, it's not surprising 3 out of 7 (so far) think that is the likely place for it to happen again. The next answers are similar, as the Golden Triangle and Lake Charles also suffered extensive damage, as did Gulfport/Biloxi; and Houston and Galveston suffered a lot because of the panic and congestion of their evacuation. But to my knowledge, any place along that stretch from Chesapeake Bay to Corpus Christi is equally likely. We are afraid of a repeat of last year; at least that it will be in the Gulf again.

#5 Alcott, Jun 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2006
  6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

That's why I voted the way I did. All of those places are equally likely to be hit, but I think NOLA would be much more prone to severe damage if it is hit.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Of course, the issue is to be prepared. Having gone through many hurricanes myself, including Hurricane Andrew, that is the key thing.

Are your trees trimmed? Do you have shutters? If not, do you have plywood? Do you have plenty of food and water for the days after the hurricane? Knowing that we are already in hurricane season, there is no reason to wait until there's a hurricane warning. Go ahead and get started now!

Also, if you live in a potential hurricane area, I would recommend that you have a hurricane ministry at your church. We have a group of men who help put up shutters and prepare the homes for some of our older members and single women. It is a wonderful ministry.

Lastly, post-hurricane time can be a blessing. Families and neighbors come together. Fences are blown down - literally and figuratively. We help each other. We work together. We share dinners together around the gas grill. With no a/c, we all sit outside and talk - with no tv or ipods. It has really been quite nice at times. But that no a/c thing is tough.

May we all have a safe season!

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about I'm a Californian so how would I know?:confused:

9. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Our church is still sending teams to Pass Christian & Bay St. Louis to help with the Katrina clean up efforts.

Actually I would have preferred having the option of choosing more than just one area.

With Alberto already in the books for this season, I'd say it's anybody's guess where we'll see some bad stuff this year.