1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hurt and betrayed

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you and your husband have made the decision to attend another church, then you should certainly do so.

Please don't carry the emotional baggage from your previous church with you to this new church. Don't feed the need to tell people at the new church why you left your old church. That's a very common urge that people who are hurting have. I've fought that urge myself. It's tough.

Is this church you came from a small church? It sounds like this pastor is trying to do too much. Forming a choir is not his responsibility and neither is scheduling workers for children's church. Maybe he needs to start delegating people to take care of some of those responsibilities. A sign of a good leader is one who can delegate some things and not try to regulate everything. :laugh:

It's a very good thing when people can see what you call "certainly wrong" traits in their attitudes. May we all be able to see ourselves as you are doing.

Do you really think that vanity and arrogance are giving you courage? Perhaps they have "pushed" you, as you say, not into courage, but into pride? Pride pushes others aside, which may seem like courage, but really is merely self-promotion.

:laugh: It takes nerves for me just to sing in the shower!!

Seriously, I know what you mean.

If you take this attitude to your new church and this "drive" to sing in front of others, then nothing will change.

At your new church, just spend a while observing where God is working and then seek God to find his will for you there. It may be singing a solo quite regularly and then again, it may be something that has nothing at all to do with singing.

My prayer for you is Godly wisdom and discernment.......and peace.

2. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thank you, Scarlet!

Yes, maybe it IS pride. I had always saw it as strength. This is one reason I want to attend adult church, so I can see the difference. And I'll try to remember not to take any baggage with me to a different church. I'll just sit and wait for a sign from God to see what I can do for Him. Yes, there is a big difference between pride and confidince, and I don't want to push people aside, not at all, I just need to know the difference. I thought I was doing something good for the Lord. This Pastor is very control minded, he won't delegate though he should IMHO. Things would go smoother, everyone can do something, but he puts people here and there, and usually not in a job their suited for, either! Plus he won't listen to those who speak up. I sing for two reasons; to make a connection to God, sinner that I am, and to reach out to the congregation.
    I guess I was wrong. I'll do things differently in this new church, for sure! You had some wise and gentle words for me, something to think about. For that, I'm very grateful.

Love,

Sopranette

3. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Yeah, but I can take it!

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I see hurt feelings, but no betrayal...that is a bit strong. Sometimes it isn't all about "me". Maybe you are not in the right place, but it sounds like too many want to be in the spotlight. You can't change others, only yourself. Examine yourself deeply to see if this is for the desire for self glory.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish you and your family the best at your new church! :thumbs:

6. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's a politically correct position. Three pages of posting and all contain love and real heart-felt experience except for this and mine...when I say.... the accuser stands ready to attack!:tonofbricks:

:godisgood: One thing is definately correct here: Motivation and 'drives' come from emotions and desires: Emotions and desires are in themselves neither good or evil, but do seem necessary in directing us to take action. God knows the heart and is able to give one insight into the basis of their motivation.

Somethings I wasn't taught in Sunday School but i could have and it would have been right: Life is not always 'fair' (as the world would count fairness). Also, the concern and action we see others take towards one another comes out of knowledge of that person which gives one understanding or similar experience which heightens sensitivity and empathy.

No pastor can read your mind, so be specific, if seeking a particular work: Otherwise, realize that the work that is often needed the most is that which is neccessary but least desired ......as it removes one from the joys of fellowship with others (i.e. children's church, nursery, and toddlers), and is seldom recognized.

One thing that really struck me odd is the unfairness that the other lady is recognized as being in charge of children's church (she has the title, recognition, and presumably the responsibility) yet she is a frequent 'no-show'. Also it sounds like her unannouced absences created a position of inconvenience and lack of preparation for you.......... Did the pastor know of these things and still had no response? Could you have presented these to him without becoming defensive, in hopes that he would take consideration? Is it too late to reconcile, or are you certain the Lord wants you to transferre identification elsewhere?

==================
    Unlike a church where one can move in and out of easily: I worked in a small rehab center where I came under fire from our nursing director. Having been there about 7 years --in a thankless floor tech job (you might could call me a 'bed pan' commedian), and having her come in and take charge, micro managing everything....wasn't difficult until she started giving directions to individuals including myself.... and then would later complain and scold us when others found complaints with us doing our jobs the way she directed. I found myself feeling unappreciated and started feeling bitter: My nursing supervisor told me the latest comment "Judy" had said was that I (meaning me) was 'disgusting'....... and I felt hurt and angry as I had done everything within my power to follow her directions and please her..... my supervisor, well aware of my industry and standards, had no fault with me. My supervisor and I, both Christians, had 'our pity party' several nights of work, and I had my puny....but quiet prayer moments at home when it dawned upon me "Pray for those who dispitefully use you" etc, other words of scripture came to mind. I began and confided to my supervisor what the Lord had given me..... to stop praying so much for my own possition, approval and prosperity, but start praying for 'Judy". Only, I didn't know how. Well a few nights later...... I had the answer: God gave it in my heart..... each person has desires in their heart and in some ways we are ALIKE in that we WANT love and acceptance, a feeling of recognition/acheivement/worth, and PEACE. Some more could be added but you get the gist: I started praying for 'Judy' in this manner, and God started opening up to me that she was HUMAN and had some real concerns and needs though I didn't know what they were. Did God change her attitude towards me......not in the slightest. But God changed my attitude towards her and kept me from becoming bitter or resentful. That was good for I needed my job and went on to work there almost 22 years. The nursing director? Well she left after about 3 years......... and several year later I ran into someone who knew us both from that past and was told that she had a nervous breakdown and was in the hospital to recover. Should I be smug about this.....Most definately not..... I have gone through severe depression, myself, and can more earnestly appreciate that it is a mixed affliction of mind, body, and spirit. Without changing 'Judy' could not be my friend....ever......but it did not keep me from learning that I could be kind to her and accept her rebuffs with meekness or necessity for self-defensiveness.
    ----------------------
    I will pray for you that God will make his way clear to you and that however and wherever he leads you will follow in the strength of his power and the confidence of his grace. Love.

#26 windcatcher, Jun 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2007
  7. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

We shall pray for your finding God's will in your life and worshiping Him with like minded believers. For your spiritual growth, and for our own.

So often when we share experiences it lays a foundation for others to build on and the real secret is building upon our Rock instead of ourselves.

God bless and keep you during this change in your life.