1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hyles-Anderson

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Preacher Boy88, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Preacher Boy88

Preacher Boy88 New Member

Can anyone point out the supposedly "cultic" and "heretic" teaching of Hyles-Anderson College and First Baptist Church?

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I believe most people are referring to the tendency of some to elevate Brother Hyles to the point where he is pointed to constantly as the measuring stick for their spiritual life, and/or the atttitude that he can do no wrong.....literally.

Ive seen this some myself.

There are others who disagree with some of his doctrines, such as KJVonly, and someone mentioned the thing about the difference between eternal and everlasting....but I don't know why that matters so much.

3. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

The people I know who went to HAC are all wonderful Christians.

Also, from talking to people who have known Hyles it seems that there was a big difference in the Jack Hyles of 25 years ago and the Jack Hyles of 10 years ago.

That being said I would think there are better options for those wanting a good conservative education.

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I have observed, Charles is spot on in his estimation of the situation.

5. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Well said Charles.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are still teaching/practicing some very bad doctrine in addition to the cultic status of Jack.

An easy believism/decisionism replacing biblical salvation
    Lack of biblical repentance
    False teaching about the humanity/deity of Christ
    KJVonlyism

I have seen woefully under-educated graduates from HAC. Most last in Wyoming only long enough to create problems in otherwise good churches.

7. Preacher Boy88

Dr. Bob, what do you mean "easy believism/decisionism"? Isn't it easy to get saved and isn't salvation easy to accept? By the way the KJV is the only true bible considering that one "bible" or atleast a perversion of the bible, the NIV has a queer as one of their translators.

8. ascund

ascund New Member

Hey PreacherBoy88, Dr. Bob

Yes indeed! The gospel message is easy believism.

The rub comes when finite limited humans wish to replace God as judge and make decisions about the spiritual status of others. Since we fickle humans cannot see the heart, the Pharisitical side of us wants YOU to prove YOURSELF to MY standards.

Those who make this phoney claim fail to comprehend a salvation that consists of justification by faith alone in Jesus Christ that is also inseparable with sanctification. However, "inseparable" is NOT "equality." The two are parallel yet distinct. Justification is primal; sanctification is secondary. Justification determiines destiny; sanctification determines rewards. Sanctification is a constant return to the truths of justification. We use the knowledge of forgiven sin in the process of purification.

While we expect spiritual growth, we fickle feeble humans often condemn God's children when we cannot see the inner heart and demand lists of proving works.

The condemnation of easy-believism is a grave subtle heresy promulgated upon Christ's Church. Nothing good has ever come of such self-righteous judgment.

Lloyd

9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I agree Lloyd.

And Dr. Bob, usually I do not disagree with you, but you made a claim that they are teaching a false doctrine of Christ's deity???

What in the world have you heard??? Im assuming that you are basing this accusation on something you've heard second- or third-hand.....but I would like to know what you mean. Please.

PreacherBoy,

Some actually think that at FBC Hammond they are preaching that it doesn't matter how you live, just pray a prayer and God will hear it. It is the part about people "just praying a prayer" that some people object to. I believe that much of this accusation comes from the fact that they claim so many saved each year and people just cannot imagine that possible....AND I think it comes from some graduates going to other churches and being zealous and sort if immature, they start rushing things.
    The real zeal for souls can get lost in a "second generation" learner, and turn into a zeal for numbers...

They do NOT teach easy -believism there. Ive heard the preaching many times on living right for God, getting right with God (repentance), and STAYING right with God.

10. Preacher Boy88

Well thank you for proving yourself bapmom and supporting the points you made. A lot of people don't support their answers and responses.

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Because a lot of people are able to think for themselves and are blinded by the abusive tactics of the Hyles "culture".

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Oh and no salvation is not "easy" as you say it is. Christ said that the way to salvation is narrow and few there be that find it.

Desicionism is not biblical, but a man centered aproach to salvation that has lead many people I fear into believing they are saved when they really aren't.

And as to the NIV comment, that is a ridiculous ad hominem argument that is irrelevent to this discussion.

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

4His_glory,

actually, someone else has often brought up the KJV issue in discussions about Hyles, and so it is not an irrelevant ad hominem argument here.

Also, how is salvation more than belief and faith in Christ? "Easy believism" is an extreme viewpoint that apparently says that all one must do is pray a generic prayer, no understanding needed, no true conviction from the Holy Spirit. However, I have NEVER heard this preached from ANY church that I have EVER been a part of.....yet many of those churches were accused of "easy believism" because they saw alot of souls saved. Invariably the accuser can give one or two anecdotal examples of "people they knew who went soul-winning like that....." Yet I have ALWAYS heard this practice actively condemned in the pulpits that are being accused of the same. There seems to be a disconnect here.

Salvation is "easy" to explain, but not always easy for the unsaved to ACCEPT. They can understand it fully, and not be willing to ACCEPT it as true. So yes, it is NOT always "easy" for an unsaved person to believe.....but the salvation itself is always "easy" because GOD is the One who DOES IT! [​IMG]

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

It is of my belief that the Bible teach that salvation is consistent with the sovereingty of God and that the dead and sin enslaved will of man can not nor will not choose Christ apart from the working of God.

The way the Hyles camp presents salvation is very man centered as instead of simply beign a witness, testifying of Christ did, and calling for biblical repentance, they seek to preasure and solict a response from people.

And arguing about the KJV in this discussion is irrelavant since this is supposed to be about the heretical and cultish practices of hylesism. Yes KJVOism is part of that, but this is not to be a discussion regarding the KJV or NIV for that matter.

15. bapmom

bapmom New Member

well 4His_glory,

I see now that you are more of a Calvinist than I am. I didn't realize that until Id read another of your posts. I guess then that you really have a disagreement with them that is based on your true beliefs. I can't say that I agree with you, though. I believe the Bible many times gives us instances of men calling for a response from people regarding salvation.

Philip told the Ethiopian eunuch that he must believe, and then he could be baptised. Paul told the Philippian jailer to believe on the name of the Lord Jesus CHrist and he would be saved. Jesus told the woman at the well that He was the One whom she should believe in. All of these, and more, called for a conscious response.

I don't mean to hijack this thread though, that is why I asked you a question elsewhere.

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I agree that we are to all for repentance. We are told to preach a Gospel of repent and beleive. But it not our words of persausion that saves the soul, but the quickening of the Holy Ghost.

When I witness, I urge for peopel to trust Christ, I hope that they will, and because I believe that God is sovereign in salvation, I believe that there are those who will repent and trust Christ.

No man can be saved unless he believes, I don't have a problem saying that.

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

4His_glory,

Im glad to say we agree then. I don't know of anyone who would say that the Holy SPirit does not convict, but perhaps you have met a few. I can think of some who might unintentionally underemphasize His work, but if asked they would agree with you wholeheartedly that the Holy Spirit does indeed convict and it is His work that does the drawing.

18. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

We as witnesses make the introduction.It is The Holy Spirit that does the convicting and the unsaved person who makes the decision to accept Christ as Lord and Savior or reject Him.

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the inane posts claiming the KJVonly and the easy believism (1-2-3-pray-after-me ditty then dunk 'em and count 'em) on this very thread do not tell you a lot about the WEAKNESS and DEARTH of real doctrine at Hyles College, then you are missing the point.

20. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Dr Bob,

I understand you don't agree with KJVO's, but that doesn't make their doctrine weak. I also know FOR A FACT that they do NOT teach 1-2-3-pray-after-me ditty, as you put it, for salvation. They do NOT preach this, although I know that time after time people claim such. It simply is NOT true.

But I am still wondering what about the deity of Christ they teach that is a false doctrine?