1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hyper-Calvinism and it's beliefs

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Allan, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a few questions which I would like to throw in to this discussion.

1. What is the "gospel call" for ? Is it a call to eternal salvation ? Or is it a call to repentance and gospel, or Godly, living.

2. To what necessity is the "faith" being discussed ? Is it a necessity to eternal salvation ? Or is it a necessity to one's turning from their idols and false religions to the One True God: A result of one's already being "born again" and therefore a professed child of God ?

3. What is "common grace" and how is it defined ?

4. Where is salvation "offered", in the context in which this word "offered" is being used in our age and time ?

Thank you.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

My suspicion is that you would be misrepresenting people. There are a few
    "estimations" are like nostrils, we all have them. Mine is just as valid as yours, and I don't recall "accusing" anyone of anything. I believe points 3 and 5 are common, and I don't have to name names to think that.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Not necessarily. All estimations are not equally valid. Some are good and some are bad. Some people just have bad ideas. I am not saying anything about your opinion vs. mine in this case, but merely saying that estimations are not all equal.

You accused people of believing that God does not offer salvation to all men without exception, and you accused people of believing that God does not love the non-elect. Those may be right accusations, but they are accusations.

I think points 3 and 5 are extremely rare, and I think you naming names would demonstrate that.

I think 3 and 5 are indications of hyper-Calvinism, and I don't think it is widespread, particularly among people who call themselves Calvinists.

4. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with webdog.
    He does not have to name names.
    Those who believe certain points of what may be termed "hyper Calvinism" know who they are.
    I am one of them, and I am not ashamed to say so, since I know I can pretty much defend what I believe, without expecting anyone to "come over to my side of the fence", and since I know my theology was not the basis for Christ's saving me, neither is the theology of anyone else on this board the basis for Christ's saving them.
    What I believe cannot be called heresy since there is no one here that can prove that their position has always been the historically orthodox position of "the church" (whoever this church is).
    The one who says his theology is an integral, inseparable part of why Christ saved him is the heretic, if there is such a one on this board, and I don't believe there is such a one.

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Yes.

Yes.

Common grace is God's grace given to the non-elect.

Salvation is offered to all who will believe in a number of contexts such as John 3:16 for starters, and too many others to be mentioned here.

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Heresy is not measured against what the church (whoever this church is) has historically believed. It is measured against what God has said.

7. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, the dictionary disagrees with you, PL.

8. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, what "God has said" has always been a matter of discussion, if you will.
    Proof ?
    There are Arminians and Calvinists on this board who cite the same "thus saith the Lord" and come up with different meanings and interpretations.
    And there are Calvinists and Hyper-Calvinists who do the same.

So, by which this is what "God said" are you going to measure heresy ?

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm pretty much the same as Rippon. After describing my thoughts to someone a long time ago, this person said that I am a "Clarkian". I studied up on it and found that he was mostly right. Although I think Clark goes too far with mental assent and scripturalism (not H-C related issues), I agree with him on salvation for the most part.

I disagree with using the word "grace" to describe God's kindness toward the reprobate. The correct word is the one I used - "kindness". He is kind toward His enemies, even though He hates them. And yes, "hate" often means "not favored", and the reprobate are definitely "not favored".

I believe that God "loves" the reprobate only in that He pities them, but not in an affectionate way.

I believe in openly preaching the Gospel. I do not particularly object to referring to the Gospel as an "offer".

I believe that God purposed sin but did not actively "cause" it. It's a technical issue, but it's an important technicality. Arguments over whether God is the "author" of sin hinge upon what is meant by "author".

And I have no problem with the idea of faith as a "duty".

And like Rippon said, the monergism.com list is better than Phil Johnson's list. I have long thought that Phil's zealousness against HCism got in the way of his better judgment.

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

I received an e-mail back from John @ Monergism regarding whether they view Phils list and theirs as being similar just worded differently or if they have nothing in common.
    Here is my e-mail to them and then theirs to me:
    And in their responce:
    So in their view, the two lists are speaking of the same things therefore they agree that the two charts share the same beliefs as to what constitutes real H-C with the possible exception of the 'offer' aspect.

#50 Allan, Apr 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2008
  11. Allan

Allan Active Member

Just to address this portion.

Monergism's list refers to the same things that Phil does and they agree with his listing (as seen in my previous post), the only difference is that Phil condences those beliefs into 5 types of Hyper views and not just every single view they hold. The others mentioned in Monergism fall into the 5 varying types of the Hyper views.

12. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

The monergism.com list is very specific and removes the arguments over word definitions.

13. Allan

Allan Active Member

WHat about these which I listed around page 2:
    What about what the Westminister Standard: <-- Article written via Presbytarians (the below is an excert from it
    or how about J. I. Packer's view - though not born in the 16th or 17 th century but born 1926 I can't discount his thoughts here :
    or what about John Howe (Presby I think ? - of the 16 and 17th century) The Goodness of God, Part II preached in 1691:

#53 Allan, Apr 24, 2008
  14. Allan

Allan Active Member

No problem, yet they do agree with what Phil states and that their two lists are in fact refering to the same things. That is what I am getting at.

So what Phil set forth in his 5 types of Hyper-C's, they consider their list inclusive to what he gives.

So if you (in the general sense) fall into one of more of the 5 catagories you hold to one or more of the 16 on Mongerism listing as well. They are not a seperate listings, one might be more concise, but they both equate to the views that define the Hyper-C's views.

#54 Allan, Apr 24, 2008
  15. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well there must be some reason that I find one list suitable and the other objectionable. I'll have to think about it and get back to this to see if I can explain the difference. Too tired right now.

16. Allan

Allan Active Member

Is not kindness JD, and aspect of God's grace. Are the reprobate worthy of God being kind toward them? If not, it is an unmerited favor toward them and is that not what grace is.
    This is where my point is made. I don't know if you read the article that this is refering to but here what Phil states in reference to 'common grace'.
    And your view here more than likely comes out of the previous one on common grace. You seem to have an issue with actaully claiming God to have any type of love (but pity) yet I must ask; why would he pity them if he did not have a love toward them??

Or what is kindness but an expression of love?

God's love is perfect and in every aspect in which God loves it is perfect. If it is a general love then it is perfect in that it be benificail toward all men, and if it be a specific special love then it is so only toward those He has sets that type love toward and all it's benifits.

To presume that because God's love is perfect God must only have one type of love, IMHO, is a desired ignorance toward what scripture consistantly teaches.

Then would you say that the gospel message is genuinely given toward the reprobate that they might be saved? (I didn't say they would be saved, but that if they would respond it would be to their salvation)

Agreed.

This is a curious responce. Do you not particularly hold to the idea of duty faith??

I just saw you last post. Goodnight JD. Sleep well... while I'm stuck here all night at work :laugh:

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John from Monergism said that he agreed with all but one of the 5 points that Phil made . However , from an English standpoint the two lists have nothing in common with the other . One would have to read between the lines to discern an affinity . Even though John said he agreed with much of Phil's list ,that has no bearing on the Monergism list . This isn't theological here -- I'm dealing with the English language . I am 60% H-C on one list and a 0% H-C on the other .

18. Allan

Allan Active Member

Apparently you don't know this but you can only write to John in the 'Contact us' at Monergism link.

Does he or does he not answer questions for monergism that are directed toward the them as whole? ANswer YES. He speaks on their behalf.

Actaully, I realize we are speaking of the English language and as I showed you previously, if you hold any on Phils list I gave you some of those which correlate to them from Monergism. I realize you see some kind of difference but mongerism does not. (with the possible exception of 'offer')

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JD has said that he has no problem with the idea of faith as a duty .So he holds to duty faith as do I . You also hold to it . It is the obligation of sinners to repent and believe -- hence "duty faith" .The Gospel Standard folks deny Duty Faith for instance .

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ok, that is why I was wanting clarification due to 'how' he stated it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.