1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hyper-Calvinism and it's beliefs

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Allan, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh , you are just mocking here . IOW, not telling the truth .

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay , thanks for the qualifier ( just don't mention John Calvin again , the way you've done before :).

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you accept its conclusions on Arminianism as well ?

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll translate your sentiments into more understandable English .

"I think I know why you won't though . You know they're right , and if you do try to correct them you will have your hands full . That is ok though . It is good to be reproved at times to keep you in your rightful place because your view doesn't reflect historical Calvinism."

You haven't a clue about historical Calvinism Allan . It wasn't so long ago that you said that all Christians believe in particular redeption . Also , you said that the term "General Redemption" meant the Calvinistic view of Christ dying for a limited number . You still have an erring understanding of the Effectual Call ( otherwise known as Irresistible Grace .( You can keep your current views , but you don't know what Calvinism really is on these and other heads -- Hence your inability to grasp Calvinistic basics .) You still think Foreknowledge means God looks ahead to see what independant man will decide with respect to salvation .

As far as Historical Calvinism goes . That needs to be fleshed-out . Calvinism has a long history . All the claimants have not held to the same particulars .For instance , today( the past 80 years or so ) I think that many in the Reformed Community ( not just Calvinistic Baptists ) are of an Amyrauldian flavor . Murray and Stonehouse's "Free Offer" is a prime example of that theological mindset . Murray was more solid in other doctrinal matters but he was way off in Arminianism-land to a large extent in that booklet . Amyrauldianism is kind of a halfway house between Arminianism and true , historic Calvinism . Though they would claim to be in the Calvinistic domain . And like Arminians , they would not dare care to be callled what they really are .

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Yes and no.

In the eternal work of God, Salvation is finished and was applied to only His people on the very day He died on the tree.

1) Christ is called "Jesus" because He shall save His people from their sins (Matt. 1:21).

2) He is called the Saviour of His body (Eph. 5:23).

3) The Good Shepherd lays down His life for "the sheep" (John 10:15)

4) and He lays down His life for "His friends" (John 15:13).

5) He is said to die" that He might gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad" (John 11:52).

6) It is said that Christ "hath purchased the church with His own blood" (Acts 20:28).

There is no substitute for the time-honored, God-exalting truth of substitutionary atonement -that Christ our Lord actually bore the sins of those for whom He died specifically. If all were on the cross, it is clear all would be saved because the sins were washed away. However, He stood in the place of the "many" who would actually experience complete deliverance from all their sins.

Isaiah 53:11
    Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied;by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities.

Matthew 20:28
    even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Matthew 26:28
    for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Hebrews 9:28
    so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.

John 10:11
    I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

Now I understand someone will follow this post with a few verses that say Christ died for all and claim this all means all of mankind. Both sets of verses cannot be right if taken that way. There is but only one way to make them fit together and believe all the verses of the Bible as true.

Ok..with this work of God being true it still does not negate the fact that ALL of the elect must believe.

1) We are not ashamed, of the Gospel for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believes (Rom. 1:16).

2) God uses the instrumentality of faith in Christ's sacrifice to bring the CONSCIOUSNESS of justification and salvation (Rom. 3:24, 25; 4:5). This is the passaged I preached on this morning.

3) Faith, is a gift of God, and that it is no more a work than is circumcision (Rom. 4:11, 16). If faith is not needed then the gift that comes from God is worthless.

My Lord Jesus Christ substituted for "sheep" given Him by the Father, and not for the devil's "goats!" However, the instrument God uses to bring the sheep to the consciousness of salvation, is faith so that they can believe.

John 3...
    Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God..

So...the elect does believe. Why? well...the passage tells us why.

21But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God."

Gill says, the Persic version reads,
    "that the work which is between God and him may be known"; that such deeds may be discovered, which are only known to God and himself.

All are not. But we have no idea who will and who will not. No one is "near" to salvation then the other. Therefore we preach to all.

I disagree. Regeneration is the opening of eyes to believe. The elect will not always hear/understand their need for the gospel the 1st time they hear the gospel. It is when God pulls back the darkness that they can understand and believe.

Your point matters little if it is indeed true. The fact remains that Paul is telling us to GO and Preach and we have no idea who the elect is. Even if as you believe, there be regenerated people that do not know it, which hardly makes sense to me, for with a new life, we see new life, which is not part of your idea here that I can see,.......any way, if we were to set that aside and believe as you have stated, you still must take Paul for his words and share the gospel for you do not know who the elect is.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about specific individuals ? Do you believe that Herman Hoeksema was a hyper-Calvinist ? What about David Engelsma and Herman Hanko ? If you are not that familiar with these particular men , just say so .

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

I have good idea, but it was for this reason (your posts and others that might have come) I used well known and respected Calvinists to set forth the difference between Historic Calvinism and HC. I did this so when people tried to spue stuff like this (what you wrote, and what you wrote earlier in the thread as seen below) it wouldn't have any real meaning
    Your willful ignorance and misrepresentation on that issue is your own issue and even got a thread or two shut down for it. But again, this isn't about me, it now boils down to you and those who actually know Calvinism and what views constitute an HC (of which you have already agreed you fall squarely into) are the ones at odds here.

Wrong, I know exactly what it is.

See, here you show you ignorance in what another believes or understands. You can't debate with having to condescend people, ad-hominem, put down, et... especially when your wrong and can't stand it. And no, you're are incorrect about what I understand foreknowledge to be. And also, I do grasp Calvinistic basics, which is why I'm not accused of not understanding them like many are. I just don't agree with some of them.

This thread isn't about arminianism but Hyper-Calvinism. And since it is about Hyper-Calvinism the topic needs to be maintained with due regard to the OP.

#128 Allan, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2008
  9. Allan

Allan Active Member

This is not a thread about labeling 'who' is historically seen as an HC, but views constitute those of the HC.

I believe our discussions are going to go no further but downward Rippon. I don't wish that and since we are the only ones in any discussion with regard to the Op, I'm opting for it to be closed.

Thank you for your partisipation and your point of view.

#129 Allan, Apr 27, 2008
  10. Allan

Allan Active Member

Moderaters:

As the originater of the OP I would request for it to be closed since this thread is degenerating it something beyond it's intended purpose and most likely is not going to recover. There was good an meaningful discussion in the beginning and was benificial but has lost that aspect a few pages back.

Thank you,
    Allan

#130 Allan, Apr 27, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.