Hyper Calvinism?

Discussion in 'Calvinism/Arminianism Debate' started by Iconoclast, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast
    Expand Collapse

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. TCassidy

TCassidy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

That's pretty good, but I also agree with the first comment at the bottom. There are other things which could be added. "Hyper-Calvinism" is any "Calvinism" that goes beyond the 5 Heads of Doctrine as enumerated by the Canons of the Synod of Dordt, so there could be a potential for a myriad of additional excesses. But for now the synopses seems pretty good. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

From the article, here is the list, with my thoughts added in green:

According to Timothy George (from his book Amazing Grace: God’s Initiative–Our Response), a Hyper-Calvinist departs from orthodoxy on five key doctrines:

1. Hypers teach the doctrine of eternal justification, which effectively removes human responsibility to respond to the gospel.

I've heard of this. These tend to look for some glimpse of divine nature in a person then declare them 'saved'. They don't know it but they will be in heaven some day.

2. Hypers deny the free moral agency and responsibility of sinners to repent and believe the gospel.

This as well has been witnessed. Those of us against this believe in preaching the Gospel, and the elect coming to the knowledge of salvation through the Gospel. Those against this Biblical mandate will call others 'gospel tactic' preachers in a contemptible manner.

3. Hypers deny the free offer of the gospel to all people, regardless of whether a person is presumed to be elect or not.

Pretty much the same category above.

4. Hypers teach that sinners have no warrant to believe in Christ until they feel the evidence of the Spirit's moving in their hearts “in other words, a sinner needs to be convinced he is elect before he has a right to believe.

I can and have seen the former, but don't necessarily know I've witnessed the latter. Have heard that a person suddenly is aware Jesus lives within them.

5. Hypers deny the universal love of God. Hypers claims that God hates sinners and has no meaningful love for the non-elect.

God's Word does describe a hatred for the wicked in some biblical passages, but to determine who these ones are is way above my pay grade. Also of note some who are hyper-cal will attempt to deny being Calvinist at all. Perhaps this is in order to deny their being hyper-cal - can't be that if they deny being Calvinist. It's like a hyper child saying he's not a child. Roflmao Laugh

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Rob_BW

Rob_BW
    Expand Collapse

I was reading through the points and then scrolled up to read the two rules...Roflmao

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast
    Expand Collapse

I might dispute pt 5......

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JonC

JonC
    Expand Collapse
    Lifelong Disciple

I might agree.....it depends on how one defines denying that God has "a meaningful love" for the non-elect.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

I too agree #5 is poorly worded. God, being so much bigger than us, is able to perfectly love, and perfectly hate, the same person at the same time. We are much more limited. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire
    Expand Collapse

Here are my beliefs.....
    in salvation by grace! There are really only two positions a person can have on this matter. One
    is that salvation is by grace, and the other is that salvation is by works. It cannot be a
    combination of both. Now if that's 'HYPER' then so be it. X3

#8 Earth Wind and Fire, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  9. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace
    Expand Collapse

The works we do post-salvation are an evidence of salvation. Being saved by what we did prior to salvation is works-based salvation. No Calvinist that I know of believes the latter, but avers the former.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire
    Expand Collapse

One gets tired of the pejoratives

11. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace
    Expand Collapse

What perjoratives?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire
    Expand Collapse

I consider "Hyper Calvinism" a pejorative. Its another rock to throw, another label to apply to someone.

13. Iconoclast

Iconoclast
    Expand Collapse

Not at all....it is an accurate description of pushing past what scripture declares.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jerome

Jerome
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. Hyper Calvinism, literally, "beyond" Calvinism.

It's best defined so as to exclude oneself of course.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire
    Expand Collapse

Yea I like that.....Beyond Calvinism!!!! What could be better than that!!! LOL. Now does that include Reformed types? Personally I prefer Radical Christianity to Calvinism.