1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hyper-Calvinists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Outside of the Gospel Standard , Primitive Baptists and Hardshelled Baptist groups -- who in your estimation are hyper-calvinists today ? I am specifically asking about preachers . And this question is directed toward the non-Calvinists on the board .

It seems that there is a tendency to instantly slip from referring to one as a Calvinist to quickly calling them a hyper-Calvinist . What preachers fit the bill ?

In no particular order I thought of some Calvinist preachers/theologians /authors . Of course I do not regard any as being under that classification . So for you non-Calvinists -- How would you classify James White , Al Mohler , John MacArthur , Mark Dever , R.C.Sproul , John Piper and Philip Ryken for starters ?

2. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

I would consider them simply as preachers of the Doctrine of Grace.

I dislike the term "hyper" because of what you have alluded to. It's too easy to label someone a hyper whatever when you can't sustain a valid argument.

I don't consider myself a Calvinist. I disagree with a few points.

3. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I'd use the term "strong calvinist." Some have used the term "extreme calvinist." The folks you listed, for some reason, tend to take great offense at any term hinting at "extreme" or "hyper" etc. They also tend to deny that there is any such thing as a moderate calvinist.

Personally, I think they do this because they want to frame the discussion in a certain way. Anyone who comes along and tries to frame the discussion in a different way, the strong (extreme) calvinists cry foul, and try to limit the discussion to only certain terms, angles, and viewpoints. The Sproul/White folks tend to teach that we either hold 100% to their view or we're lost in a sea of arminianism. I don't believe it's an either/or discussion. I think that we can have a biblical viewpoint that does not restrict the discussion in the way that these gentlemen do. So what do we do with a position that is indeed calvinist, not arminian, but not in the way these folks try to force us into? My solution is to put a label on them...."strong" or "extreme".

I would refer to "hyper calvinist" as the double-predestination group.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would depend on the answer to why they believe people go to hell. I am in no more agreement with those who preach double predestination than with those who preach arminianism (on this issue).

I think Sproul teaches DP. While I like much of what he teaches, he is wrong on this... There are non-calvinists like Ryrie and Geisler who I respect likewise but think they stop short of a thoroughly biblical position on this issue.

The short answer I guess is that Sproul goes too far while Geisler doesn't follow all the way through.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Ritalin has been proven to help many hyper calvinists.

Oh, the OTHER kind...I'm sorry...

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A dose of history is in order . Although he was a Bishop in the Church of England , John Charles Ryle ( a good friend of CHS ) in 1890 wrote the following insightful words: " There are certain facts in history which the world tries hard to forget and ignore . These facts get in the way of some of the world's favourite theories , and are highly inconvenient . The consequence is that the world shuts its eyes to them . "

7. mioque

mioque New Member

Using the following definition of a hypercalvinist denomination .

{Calvin would get kicked out of that church for not being Calvinist enough.}

I can list the following list of splintergroups of the Dutch Reformed Church as examples hypercalvinism.

De Kruisgemeenten
    De Gereformeerde Gemeenten in Nederland en Noord-Amerika
    De Gereformeerde Gemeenten in Nederland
    Oud-Gereformeerde Gemeenten in Nederland
    Oud-Gereformeerde Gemeenten
    De Gereformeerd Vrijgemaakte Kerk

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do they believe or deny ? Your definition was kind of hazy .

9. mioque

mioque New Member

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Here is my understanding of one difference between ordinary Calvinism and Hyper-Calvinism.

Calvinists basically hold that God will save the elect through the preaching of the gospel.

Some hyper-Calvinists believe that God will save the elect whether they hear the gospel or not.