1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I am a false convert, love my sin, and headed to hell!!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Wes, God works differently with different people. I know regeneration preceeds conversion, but to the length betwixt the two, I don't know.

Remember this....God saw us as a finished work from the foundation of the world. He saw us in heaven then, being omnipresent. He saw the sheep and goats from the very creation of this world. I, personally, don't think they're regenerated for years, but months possibly...

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

I believe the word of God shows that a person is born again AFTER they believe.

1 Pet 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
    23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

This scripture shows that first our sins are forgiven by obeying or believing the gospel. This is when we are born again by the word of God.

So, it is hearing and believing the word of God that causes you to be born again, not being born again that causes you to believe.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Hearing the word of God, or better yet, understanding it, shows God has begun His work. This is regeneration, imo...

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

That's not what this scripture says, it says we are born again or regenerated BY the word of God. The word of God was the means by which we are born again. So you must hear and believe the word of God before you can be born again.

This is the exact same thing that John 1:12-13 says.

Jhn 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

To those persons who believed on Jesus, to these persons God gave the power to be born again and become the sons of God.

But there is more that shows we are born again BY the word of God.

Jam 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

Again, scripture shows the word of truth (the word of God) is the means by which we are born again.

You cannot be born again until you hear the word of God. The word of God is the means that causes a man to be born again. The word of God comes first.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Those that doeth the truth, cometh to the Light. This shows God's work in regeneration precedes those who come to the Light/Him. And John says they are born of God, and not the will of the flesh, neither the will of man, but born of God.

6. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

The light we sinners came out of the darkness into the light, sinners that can't admit they are sinners are still in the darkness.

Darkness is not evil, it is only the evil men do hiding in the darkness is evil.

God loved the world that He sent His Son, so God first loved us a sinner before most of us were even thought of so that that whosoever believes in Jesus shall have eternal life

A carnal mind all of us have can't comprehend the scripture so we are not to trust ourselves, but God as the scripture teaches to prepare the way do not lean on your own understand but trust in the Lord.

Jesus will teach you when you listen and learn and lead you to life eternal.

Regeneration before faith preaching to people who already have life is a residue left over from Hyper-Calvinist teaching not Calvinism that Spurgeon preached against.

Calvinist Gospel is Jesus came to save sinners unregenerate sinners and I am the worst. There is four books from witnesses of all that happened the Gospel that we are witness of, not the condensed version, even the one verse Gospel

No man has life before they eat none, men want the condensed version that ignore human responsibility. I will let Spurgeon explain. Are you truly lifted up God or your own understanding and others?

http://www.biblebb.com/files/spurgeon/0442.htm

"The great controversy which for many ages has divided the Christian Church has hinged on the difficult question of “the will.” Without a doubt that conflict has done much harm to the Christian Church, but I will also say, that it has been loaded with immeasurable usefulness; for it has thrust forward before the minds of Christians, precious truths, which without it, might have been kept in the shade. I believe that the two great doctrines of human responsibility and divine sovereignty have both been brought out more prominently in the Christian Church by the fact that there is a class of strong-minded, hard-headed men who magnify sovereignty at the expense of responsibility; and another earnest and useful class who uphold and maintain human responsibility oftentimes at the expense of divine sovereignty. I believe there is a need for this in the finite character of the human mind, for the natural lethargy of the Church requires a kind of healthy irritation to arouse her powers and to stimulate her actions. The pebbles in the living stream of truth are worn smooth and round by friction. Who among us would wish to suspend a law of nature whose effects on the whole are good? I glory in that which at the present day is so much spoken against-sectarianism, for “sectarianism” is the jargon phrase which our enemies use for all firm religious belief. I find it applied to all sorts of Christians; no matter what views he may hold, if a man is earnest, he is quickly labeled a sectarian. Success to sectarianism, let it live and flourish, for the day it ceases then we can say farewell to the power of godliness.

When each of us cease to maintain our own views of truth, and to maintain those views firmly and strenuously, then truth will fly away, and only error will reign: this, indeed, is the objective of our foes: under the cover of attacking sects, they attack true religion, and would drive it, if they could, off the face of the earth. In the controversy which has raged-a controversy which, I again say, I believe to have been really healthy, and which has done us all a vast amount of good-in this controversy mistakes have arisen from two reasons. Some brethren have completely forgotten one category of truths, and then, in the next place, they have gone too far with others. We all have one blind eye, and too often we are like Admiral Nelson in the battle, we put the telescope to that blind eye, and then complain that we cannot see. I have heard of one man who said he had read the Bible through thirty-four times on his knees, but could not see a word about election in it; I think it very likely that he couldn’t; kneeling is a very uncomfortable posture for reading, and possibly the superstition which would make the poor man perform this penance would disqualify him for using his reason: moreover, to go through the Bible thirty-four times, he probably read in such a hurry that he did not know what he was reading, and might as well have been dreaming over “Robinson Crusoe” as the Bible. He put the telescope to the blind eye. Many of us do that; we do not want to see a truth, and therefore we say we cannot see it.

On the other hand, there are others who push a truth too far. “This is good; oh! this is precious!” they say, and then they think it is good for everything; that in fact it is the only truth in the world. You know how often things are injured by too much praise; how a good medicine, which really was a great treatment for a certain disease, comes to be utterly despised by the physician, because a certain quack has praised it as being a universal cure; so exaggerated praise in a specific doctrine leads to dishonor. Truth has thus suffered on all sides; on the one hand brethren refuse to see the truth, and on the other hand they magnified what they do see way out of proportion. Have you seen those mirrors, which when you walk up to them, you see your head ten times as large as your body, or you walk away and put yourself in another position, and then your feet are monstrous and the rest of your body is small; this is an ingenious toy, but I am sorry to say that many approach God's truth using the model of this toy; they magnify one basic truth until it becomes monstrous; they minimize and speak little of another truth till it becomes completely forgotten. In what I say this morning you will probably detect the failing to which I allude, the common fault of humanity, and suspect that I also am magnifying one truth at the expense of another; but I will say this, before I proceed further, that it will not be the case if I can help it, for I will honestly endeavor to bring out the truth as I have learned it, and if you believe that I am teaching you what is contrary to the Word of God, reject it; but be aware, if it is according to God's Word, then reject it at your peril; for once I have delivered it to you, if you do not receive it, then the responsibility lies with you.

This morning, there are two things that I will have to talk about. The first is, that the work of salvation rests on the will of God, and not on the will of man; and secondly, the equally sure doctrine, that the will of man has its proper position in the work of salvation, and is not to be ignored...."

C.H. Spurgeon

#86 psalms109:31, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

If God so loved the world, then why do people die as sinners? The world doesn't mean any and all w/o exception. There are third world citizens who never knew Jesus existed, and still died lost.

8. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

The world does mean all the world not as man sees world but as God sees world that He sent His Son, not that the world would be saved, but that He sent His Son,

That whoever believes in Him shall have eternal life, man is responsible if they do not come to Jesus for life.

No man has an excuse because God loved the world that He sent His Son.

We are messengers of that Gospel, and man is responsible for their actions.

#88 psalms109:31, May 18, 2014
  9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Willis, you are assuming that all persons who never hear the gospel are lost. There is scripture to support that God takes into consideration what a person knows.

Luk 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
    48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

The scriptures say that those persons who did not know his lord's will, yet did things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes.

Now, I do not know exactly what this means, and do not want to speculate, but God certainly takes into account those persons who do not hear the gospel, and their punishment is less severe.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

Willis, how can a person be spiritually alive before they believe the gospel and their sins are forgiven? Does that make sense?

Why are we spiritually dead? Isn't it because "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God"?

So how can you be alive before you believe? It is nonsensical, even for a few seconds, even for a millionth of one second.

That said, if you believe a person can be alive for even one second before they believe, what difference does it make? Sproul's view makes sense if you believe a person can be spiritually alive and still dead in sins at the same time. I believe that is impossible.

#90 Winman, May 18, 2014
  11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Wes, how can they call on Jesus, whom they have not believed? They can't. How can they believe in Jesus, whom they haven't heard? They can't. How can they hear without a preacher? They can't. God uses means to bring His sheep out from amongst the goats. It's the gospel of the risen Saviour, Jesus Christ. So, where does it leave those who never knew about Jesus? On the outside of the sheepfold, being goats.

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Look at the logical order of these verses, Brother Wes:

John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Those who were born of God were regenerated. They were given the power to believe on His name. The power of being born from above was given by God...then they received Him.

John 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Those who were doing the truth, came to the Light, which proved that the deeds they were doing, faith, repentance, Godly sorrow &c., are wrought in God. It doesn't say they came to the Light to do the truth, but doing the truth and coming to the Light. It's cause and effect. They first had a Godly sorrow, which leads to a true God given repentance.

1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

Everyone who loveth, is born of God. Another verse that shows the birth from above being a precursor to our believing in Him.

Romans 9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

Unless God first starts a work in a man's heart...soul...man has no desire to come to Him. He has not the faculties to do so, seing he is a fallen creature. I can find no support where He will be merciful to everyone without exception. I do find, however, He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy, and harden whom He will harden....

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow - you really DID pick a passage out of context. I just read the sermon and it is SO not what you are saying he said. Here is what he said immediately before that:

"Others say that the warrant for a sinner to believe in Christ is his election. Now, as his election cannot possibly be known by any man until he has believed, this is virtually preaching that nobody has any known warrant for believing at all. If I cannot possibly know my election before I believe—and yet the minister tells me that I may only believe upon the ground of my election—how am I ever to believe at all? Election brings me faith, and faith is the evidence of my election; but to say that my faith is to depend upon my knowledge of my election, which I cannot get without faith. is to talk egregious nonsense.
    I lay down this morning with great boldness—because I know and am well persuaded that what I speak is the mind of the Spirit—this doctrine that the sole and only warrant for a sinner to believe in Jesus is found in the gospel itself and in the command which accompanies that gospel, "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved." I shall deal with that matter first of all, negatively, and then, positively."

Then he goes into what you quoted and a whole lot more. He speaks of the fact that there is nothing in us that brings us to faith in Christ. Not repentance, not feeling badly or even feeling a "call" on us. He then says at the end of the message:

"Brethren, the command to believe in Christ must be the sinner's warrant, if you consider the nature of our commission. How runs it? "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." It ought to run, according to the other plan, "preach the gospel to every regenerate person, to every convinced sinner, to every sensible soul." But it is not so; it is to "every creature." But unless the warrant be a something in which every creature can take a share, there is no such thing as consistently preaching it to every creature. Then how is it put?—"He that believeth and is baptised, shall be saved; he that believeth not shall be damned." Where is there a word about the pre-requisites for believing. Surely the man could not be damned for not doing what he would not have been warranted in doing. Our reaching, on the theory of qualifications, should not be," Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved;" but "Qualify yourselves for faith, be sensible of your sin, be regenerated, get marks and evidences, and then believe." Why, surely, if I am not to sow the good seed on the stony places and among the thorns, I had better give up being a sower, and take to ploughing, or some other work. When the apostles went to Macedonia or Achaia, they ought not to have commenced with preaching Christ; they should have preached up qualifications, emotions, and sensations, if these are the preparations for Jesus; but I find that Paul, whenever he stands up, has nothing to preach but "Christ, and him crucified." Repentance is preached as a gift from the exalted Saviour, but it is never as the cause or preparation for believing on Jesus. These two graces are born together, and live with a common life—beware of making one a foundation for the other. I would like to carry one of those who only preach to sensible sinners, and set him down in the capital of the kingdom of Dahomey. There are no sensible sinners there! Look at them, with their mouths stained with human blood, with their bodies smeared all over with the gore of their immolated victims—how will the preacher find any qualification there? I know not what he could say, but I know what my message would be. My word would run thus—"Men and brethren, God, who made the heavens and the earth; hath sent his Son Jesus Christ into the world to suffer for our sins, and whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." If Christ crucified did not shake the kingdom of Dahomey, it would be its first failure. When the Moravian missionaries first went to Greenland, you remember that they were months and months teaching the poor Greenlander about the Godhead, the doctrine of the Trinity, and the doctrine of sin and the law, and no converts were forthcoming. But one day, by accident, one of the Greenlanders happening to read that passage, "Behold what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us that we should be called the children of God," asked the meaning, and' the missionary, hardly thinking him advanced enough to understand the gospel, nevertheless ventured to explain it to him, and the man became converted, and hundreds of his countrymen received the Word. Naturally enough, they said to the missionaries, "Why did not you tell us this before? We knew all about there being a God, and that did us no good; why did not you come and tell us to believe in Jesus Christ before?" O my brethren, this is God's weapon, God's method; this is the great battering-ram which will shake the gates of hell; and we must see to it, that it be brought into daily use.
    I have tried, on the positive side, to show that a free-grace warrant is consistent with the text—that it accords with apostolic custom, and is, indeed, absolutely necessary, seeing the condition in which sinners are placed. But, my brethren, to preach Christ to sinners, as sinners, must be right; for all the former acts of God are to sinners, as sinners. Whom did God elect? Sinners. He loved us with a great love, even when we were dead in trespasses and sins. How did he redeem them? Did he redeem them as saints? No; for while we were yet enemies, he reconciled us unto God by the death of his Son. Christ never shed his blood for the good that is in us, but for the sin that is in us. "He laid down his life for our sins," says the apostle. If, then, in election and redemption, we find God dealing with sinners, as sinners, it is a marring and nullifying of the whole plan if the gospel is to be preached to men as anything else but sinners."

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

I did not misrepresent Spurgeon, I only posted that part of his sermon that agreed with my point, and it DID agree with my point.

Spurgeon said it is unnecessary and ridiculous to preach the gospel and bid a man to believe who is already regenerated and saved. And he is 100% correct.

But what Spurgeon did not seem to realize is that Calvinism teaches than an unregenerate man cannot possibly understand the gospel. I have seen Calvinists quote 1 Cor 2:14 over and over again right here at BB to say that the unregenerate man cannot understand spiritual matters.

In addition to that, Calvinism teaches that an unregenerate man has a wicked heart of stone. He hates God and everything about God. He is not willing to repent, indeed it is impossible for him to be willing to repent, because he is completely enslaved by his wicked sin nature. And he cannot believe the gospel as well.

Now this is ridiculous doctrine. It is absolutely useless to preach the gospel to an unregenerate man, because he cannot understand it, and it is impossible for him to repent and believe it.

But it is just as ridiculous to preach the gospel to a regenerate man, because he is already saved. He doesn't NEED to hear the gospel.

This renders the gospel absolutely USELESS.

Now, if you can't see how messed up this is, I can't help you.

Now Willis argues that a regenerate man is not saved, but that is ridiculous too. How can you be born again, a child of God and not saved? Nonsense.

Calvinism doesn't make sense.

#94 Winman, May 18, 2014
  15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Wes, everything you just refuted here....I deleted some of it, btw...is found all over the bible...

#95 convicted1, May 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2014
  16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All men everywhere are responsible to worship God.They do not do so because the fall has left them totally depraved to a point where they will not give up sin...the love sin and hate God and His law/word.

14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.

The reject Jesus as LORD. They love sin and idols of the heart instead...that is why.:thumbs:

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The condition of the heart:

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

10 I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Proverbs 10:20 The tongue of the righteous is choice silver, but the heart of the wicked is of little value.

Proverbs 15:28 The heart of the righteous weighs its answers, but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil.

Proverbs 21:4 Haughty eyes and a proud heart – the unplowed field of the wicked – produce sin.

This is the condition of the hearts of sinners.....

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Sinners and the gospel:

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Short and directly to the point....much better:thumbs:

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

Nowhere does the Bible teach that sinners are unable to repent and believe, the scriptures show that they can, and do.

Jon 3:5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.

Jon 3:10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

The gospel enables sinners to repent and believe, and when they do they are regenerated and saved, which are one in the same as Spurgeon correctly said.

But that is not what Calvinism teaches, Calvinism teaches that a sinner cannot repent and believe the gospel. This denies the power of the gospel. Calvinism believes an extra work must be performed, God must first regenerate a sinner before he can repent and believe. It is not the gospel that converts a man in Calvinism, it is a separate work called regeneration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.