1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I am abandoning TULIP

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TCassidy, Apr 7, 2005.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Diane,

Grandpa always said that when you throw a rock in a pack of dogs, the one that yelps is the one hit.

Or, if the shoe fits, wear it.

[emphasis added]

TCassidy

If my asking you about your usage of Pelagius as your church father set you down this path, I apologize. It could be that you have just made a pattern of poor word choices and have gotten heated because those choices were questioned.

2. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Diane, you are kidding, right? Wes called us "religionists." I posted the definition of a "religionist" which says that it is a person who "affects" or "falsely puts on" a religious face when he really doesn't believe. Wes didn't use the word "affects," the definition of "religionist" uses the word and makes it very clear what it means.

Wes called us religionists. That is, by definition, a person who "falsely puts on" a religious face. That is what Wes called us. That is what he said. That is not only questioning our salvation, it is an out and out statement that we are false professors of Christianity. And it is not the first time he has done it. You have been notified of another instance and did nothing.

You can side with him all you want to, but when you condone the questioning of the salvation of those who he disagrees with, which he has done several times, it is poor exercise of your Administrator authority, but when you side with him and agree with him you have stepped way over the boundary.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Like I said, You have a language all to yourselves! One that is not common to man!

3. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Tcassidy,
    It is only a violation of your "foreign language", and not a violation of the commonly understood meanings. Perhaps in your foreign language you can find something where I've impuned you faith, but that definition is not common among men!

Deal with it!

4. whatever

whatever New Member

Diane,

Wes did say in some thread somewhere this weekend that he thought that I was not elect. I don't know whether he was kidding or what (I'm never really sure) but it didn't bother me. But he has done it to others too.

whatever

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. If you won't be honest about what "affected" means there is nothing more to say. When we say "he affected a southern accent" it means he put on a fake southern accent. If you would look the work "affectation" (which is the noun form of the verb "affect") there is only one definition given, "affectation: A show, pretense, or display. Behavior that is assumed rather than natural; artificiality. A particular habit, as of speech or dress, adopted to give a false impression." (The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.)

As honestly is no longer evident in this thread I suggest the Moderator close it.

6. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Diane,

Wes did say in some thread somewhere this weekend that he thought that I was not elect. I don't know whether he was kidding or what (I'm never really sure) but it didn't bother me. But he has done it to others too.

whatever
    </font>[/QUOTE]Just stating my personal opinion regarding "election" in general and doing so in a public forum.

Why don't you get just as offended when others are called names that are derogatory to them? Why aren't you incensed when believers are deliberatly pigeonholed?

The truth is you are simply trying to get me suspended or banned outright because I don't hold your religious views, challenge your "positional authority", and I am very outspoken. On this BBS you are nothing more than a "POSTER", on who posts!

7. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

An internet search returned this as the PRIMARY entry.

religionist
    A noun
    1 religionist, religious_person
    a person who manifests devotion to a deity
    Category Tree:
    entity
    object; physical_object
    living_thing; animate_thing
    organism; being
    person; individual; someone; somebody; mortal; human; soul
    religionist, religious_person
    Mandaean; Mandean
    coreligionist
    churchgoer; church_member
    celibate
    believer; worshiper; worshipper
    anointer
    abstainer; ascetic
    Hindu; Hindoo
    Buddhist
    Muslim; Moslem; Mohammedan; Muhammedan; Muhammadan; Islamist
    non-Catholic
    Christian

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

TCassidy,

You must be having a bad day.

Why are you representing the SECOND meaning of the word affect (from which is derived the second word you switched to - affectation) for the first meaning of the word (click below)?

affect

9. whatever

whatever New Member

I said it didn't bother me. That means I wasn't offended. I'm not trying to get you banned. I was just pointing out that you did say what you said, which you know you said.

10. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Like I said El_Guero,
    Religionists have a foreign language unto themselves.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

TCassidy,

You are having a bad day.

12. whatever

whatever New Member

Hey Wes,

You used the word originally. Maybe you can clear this whole thing up. What did you mean when you called us religionists? Did you mean that we are devoted to a deity, or did you have something else in mind?

13. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Fair enough whatever, The meaning of the word as I used it applies to those who make their living at religion! Such as Professors of Religion especially in secular colleges, universities, but also in major seminaries, along with other modern day Pharisees and Sadducees. Generally all who are not leading churches as pastors, but are influencing the thoughts of others through their roles in religion are what I call religionists.

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Thomas sent me a moderator alert and I edited one post where Wes questioned Thomas's salvation. The use of "religionist" was pushing the line but I let it stand.

This thread needs to be about issues, not people. Straighten it out folks ...

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Wes, I take offense at this portion of your explanation.

I hope I'm reading it wrong and if I am, please correct me.

Were it not for great biblical scholars teaching in our seminaries, our churches would have self taught preachers trying to shepherd their flock.

Also, many, many of the professors are retired pastors or current pastors, such as Dr. Tom Cassidy, Dr. Bob, Jim1999 and many others on our board.

Diane

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Wes,

Generally applying the term religionist like that is stronger than what the dictionary denoted. Zealousness is not in itself a bad thing ... but, generically calling professors "Pharisees or Sadducees" is stronger than I would support.

I am not saying that I agree with everything that professors and doctors of religion say, but I do want to go on the record as saying: "Being a professor of religion should not equate with being a Pharisee"

Wayne

17. rc

rc New Member

We mock which we don't know....

18. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

As with every rule, there are exceptions, but I see no exception here on this BBS!

19. rc

rc New Member

The Pharisee's where hypocrites We NOT because they "learned" men. But because they suppressed the truth in unrighteousness because of jealousy and fear.

We are not suppressing truth, but seeking it. And are definitely not jealous or in fear of our positions here that's for sure....

The only jealousy I see are those who DON'T have a degree mocking those who do.

20. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Then you also have poor vision!