1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I am decidedly anti-kjvo as it gets but...

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Travelsong, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

...there is guarenteed equal disdain on either side for THIS.

2. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

I spelled guaranteed wrong...how ironic. Funny how judgement has a way of paying back.

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I wish you would explain your post a little better. I think I understand it, but I am not certain.

I take it you are NOT KJVO. I applaud you for using common sense and understanding that we simply have more than one translation.

I read part of the thread you pointed to, but I don't get what part you are upset with.

If it is the TNIV, I agree. The TNIV is not a good translation. Any translation that varies from the original language and adds words just because they "think" the author meant for them to be there is poor translation technique.

They add "brothers and sisters" to a verse that just says "brothers". If there was no Greek word for "sisters" then this might be considered, but Greek HAS a word for sisters and the author chose not to use it (God obviously didn't inspire it in the originals.) If so, why would a translator add it? Poor translation practice. Poor translation. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody; but then again, I would not recommend "The Message" to anybody either.

Just because we are NOT KJVO certainly doesn't mean we are not discerning in which translations we accept as good translations. (Regardless, of whether or not the KJVO's claim we do not care about translations, that is simply another attack which is incorrect and unwarranted.)

I assume this is what you are referring to. Correct?

4. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Why yes, that's exactly what I meant! Thank you for the eloquent clarification.

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Thank YOU! This is a good subject and should be read by everybody interested in Biblical translation.

6. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

In terms of the kjvo debate I disagree. Discernment here is pretty cut and dry.

God's Truth is his Son is His Word. Human language is used to express this reality which exists entiterly independant of us, that is the very laws and nature of the universe which God set in motion and calls us to account for.

One can function and flourish as a Christian from many reliable translations. There is no one perfectly ordained English translation of the human expression of God's Word.

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Absolutely. You and eye see eye to eye on this issue. Wait until some KJVo's show up. :D ;) [​IMG]

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God, and His word, are ALIVE, AND IN CHARGE. When Shakespeare died, his works were frozen in time. When the AV translators died, their work was frozen in time. However, GOD has been continuously alive, and He supplies His word to each generation AS HE CHOOSES. Unlike a given version, His word is FOREVER, and NOT frozen in time. As the languages change under God's auspices, He will supply His word as needed to be readable throughout the generations.

9. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Wow I am not so crazy after all. AMEN.

Have you ever noticed that coming to an understanding like that feels foreign to your own reasoning?

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being a skeptical person& a former cop, I must have EVIDENCE to believe anything, and not simply someone's say-so. There's mucho evidence of GOD'S POWER AT WORK(He miraculously healed my wife...not to mention modern ISRAEL!) & absolutely NONE supporting the KJVO myth. We know its man-made origins, and we know it's not even HINTED AT in Scripture, nay, nor even in the words of the AV translators, as found in the preface of the AV 1611.

KJVO is a false, man-made MYTH.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it is, roby, but if people want to put undying faith in that myth, it is their privilege.

We all have "myths" that we hold dear.

One myth I still cling to is that people actually read my posts on the BaptistBoard . . :rolleyes:

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have ya tried typing in GOTHIC, Dr. Bob?

13. Keith M

Keith M New Member

AMEN!