1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I AM GETTING OFFENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by 4-christ, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

LaraB

Go figure, African Americans would not like a symbol of racism and think that people who display a stars and bars flag might be racist.

I would also agree that it is your "right" to display it if that is what you want to do, I dont think that you will be able to be much of a Christian witness to your African American neighbors however.

2. LauraB

LauraB New Member

Jimmy C,

Hmmm, if you only knew! :(

My neighbors are not very neighborly to say the least. They watch me like a hawk and make things up about my family and me. They have started an uprising on my street because they want to portray us as bad and not christianly. I have witnessed to these people over and over and over. One teen has accepted Christ as her saiour and they don't like this. My life is under great attack and scruteny right now and for the past 16 yrs. that I have lived here in the very same spot, my neighbors have never been very neighborly at all.
    They like to talk and whisper and tell lies. So now my other neighbors instead of seeing us as Christians they see us as bad people.
    To heck with my neighbors, I may just get a huge conferderate flag and display it out my window! :D

I know that's not nice, and I also know I won't do that, but I am at a point where I will not witness to them anymore. I will just ignore them.

LauraB

PS- Someone mentioned the Dukes of Hazard, that's where I first fell in love with the rebel flag. [​IMG]

3. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

At the risk of sounding pompous, it does not matter what your neighbors are like, it is what you are like. This is something that I am constantly working with my 9 yr old daughter on when one of her friends makes her mad. My guess is that if you took your flag down and went to each of your neighbors to apologize if you had offended them with the flag it would go a long way.

If you want to show a historic confederate flag, that I doubt any of your neighbors would object to use the Bonnnie Blue Flag (not only will they not object they wont know what it is)that Mike talks about in his post, or show the Texas Flag (yankee fans shouldnt care) that if I recall from one of Mike's posts in the past, is based on the bonnie blue flag.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Unless you're black. One cannot skirt the issue that the South was not willing to free the slaves. Many rationalized it by referring to it as a "necessary evil". Try using this same rationale with the abortion issue.

I find it interesting that many southern Christians have no problem judging the north (which they consider to be any non-southern state), yet they refuse to be judged by the same criterion.

The Civil War was a lose-lose situation. The issue was more a matter of who was going to lose more than the other.

Now, on the issue of the confederate flag, it cannot be denied that it carried with it the symbol of oppression for blacks. However, it also has a non-oppressive symbol (one could make the same arguement for the Nazi flag). These consideration must be weighed carefully, and must be decided by Southerners (both black and white). The confederate states no longer exist. Hence, the flying of the flag is moot, at least at the governmental level. Imagine if California and Texas decided to fly the Mexican flag, or if Alaska decided to fly the Russian flag.

I personally feel the confederate flag's oppressive symbolic content is sufficient to warrant its removal from display. However, it's not my decision to make.