1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I am IN THE DOGHOUSE at work.....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Scarlett O., Dec 18, 2013.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This one's a first for me in teaching middle schoolers for 31 years.

In my 7th writing class last Thursday, we read a document on the origins of Santa Claus and how the tradition started and read about separating fact from truth about the little we know about the real St. Nicholas. And then we had a writing prompt.

Then on Monday and Tuesday of THIS week, in the same writing class we read all the accounts concerning the birth of Jesus from Matthew and Luke. I gave them a 15 minute overview of the Old Testament that lead into why Zechariah was burning incense in the Temple and why people were outside waiting. We covered it all! I didn't get to my writing prompt, but maybe will tomorrow.

Am I in trouble for discussing the historical significance of Matthew and Luke and the Nativity account?

Nope.

I am in trouble for reading about the historical St. Nicholas and affirming that Santa Claus is not real. I just assumed as I have assumed for 31 years and assumed correctly that 7th graders don't believe in Santa Claus anymore.

But - au contraire, mes chers amis.....

Apparently one of mine this year DOES ... well, did.

Her mother called the school to tell that her 13 year old daughter cried "uncontrollably for an hour" in "her mother's arms" over it. She told her daughter that I must have just been joking.

Really?!?

The child never said a word to me in class about it. She a nice girl, but a bit of a drama queen and the mother is the queen of drama queens. {You have no clue) This has been a great shock to me because the child is one of those young teen girls who thinks she 19 going on 30.

So now I feel like the Grinch and yet for some reason, I'm aggravated .... and I got called to the principal's office about it. (I think that's why I'm aggravated)

C'est la vie.... :BangHead:

#1 Scarlett O., Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's against your religion to lie... They wouldn't want to persecute you for your religious beliefs would they? ;)

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Put the two of them into the throes of hysteria by dismantling the Tooth Ferry and the Easter Bunny. It will serve them right. :thumbs:

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. I wonder how they'll react when they find out BHO isn't really the Messiah. You have to wonder what planet some folks come from. . .

If Ms. Drama Queen is doing all this just for attention, it may well bite her in the rear when all the other kids start making fun of her daughter for still believing in Santa Claus.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

This one is easy, tell her something that will take her mind off Santa, tell her the Easter Bunny isn't real either. :laugh:

6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're a mean one, Ms. Grinch,
    You really are a heel,
    You're as cuddly as a cactus,
    You're as charming as an eel, Ms. Grinch.
    You're a bad banana with a greasy black peel!

You're a monster, Ms. Grinch,
    Your heart's an empty hole,
    Your brain is full of spiders,
    You've got garlic in your soul, Ms. Grinch.
    I wouldn't touch you with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole!

You're a foul one, Ms. Grinch,
    You have termites in your smile.
    You have all the tender sweetness
    Of a seasick crocodile, Ms. Grinch.
    Given the choice between the two of you
    I'd take the seasick crocodile!

You're a foul one, Ms. Grinch,
    You're a nasty wasty skunk,
    Your heart is full of unwashed socks,
    Your soul is full of gunk, Ms. Grinch.
    The three words that best describe you are as follows, and I quote,
    "Stink, stank, stunk!"

You're a rotter, Ms. Grinch,
    You're the king of sinful sots,
    Your heart's a dead tomato splotched
    With moldy purple spots, Ms. Grinch
    Your soul is an appalling dump heap
    Overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of rubbish imaginable
    Mangled up in tangled up knots!

You're a three decker sauerkraut
    and toadstool sandwich with arsenic sauce!

You nauseate me, Ms. Grinch,
    With a nauseous super "naus",
    You're a crooked dirty jockey
    And you drive a crooked hoss, Ms. Grinch.
    You're a three decker sauerkraut
    and toadstool sandwich with arsenic sauce!

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    HA! Don't think that isn't how I feel!!

[​IMG]

8. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suppose, when this little girl was an ankle biter, Miss Scarlett, you taught her that 2+2= 2 with the provision when the girl was almost old enough to drive the true answer of 4 would be revealed. You would've been sacking groceries at the Piggly-Wiggly instead of molding minds of mush.

Frankly, Scarlett, the mama's an idiot. If you need me to come down to Bayou country and tell her so I will leave tonight. She's lied to Honey Boo-Boo for thirteen years and you get sent to the principal's office? As long as I'm coming I will stop and see if I can get a spine. Mr. Principal needs an implant.

Sister, I know you are tender-hearted and feel like you crushed this little girl's world. You did her a favor. Her mama needs to grow up her ownself. That little girl needs a parent not a playmate.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean that Santa isn’t real???

I think it odd for a 7th grader to believe in Santa. My son “figured it out” sometime last year and he’s 10 (which made him feel like a grown up). I’d suspect that she (hopefully) had figured it out but didn’t want affirmation.

Plus, Santa brings big cool presents - parents bring stuff you need. I'd cry too.:smilewinkgrin:

10. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds of me an anime where these high school girls were talking about when they discovered that Santa Claus wasn't real and then suddenly one of them's like, "You mean he isn't?" with sad puppy-dog eyes. lol

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I was probably 6-7 and noticed the string tying the fake beard to Satan Claws and then told my older brother what I saw, and then he told me Satan Claws isn't real, not a problem with me. :)

12. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was 8 and my stepdad decided to end the belief for me. I didn't think it was a big deal.

13. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

So sorry to hear you are in the doghouse, but it serves her right for allowing her daughter to believe something like that at her age! Good grief!! She should have told the daughter years ago. What did she think was going to happen? That the daughter would believe until she was 40? Or maybe that she would never find out?

*Sigh.....*

14. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

BTW, I told both my boys when they were 5 (now they are 29 and 27) because I didn't want them to be made fun of, or find out in a traumatic way. So far, no harm done and they still speak to me. :)

15. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, all. I do feel better tonight.

The child was happy as a lark at school today. She treated me the same as she always does. I found out about all of this at lunch. I have her in math in the mornings and writing class in the afternoon and had the mother not called, I wouldn't have noticed anything was wrong.

I think this is really about the mother. To say that she dotes on this child in an unhealthy way is an understatement and the other faculty who knows the family has said for years that they are headed for grief.

You just can't carry around your child on feather pillow, telling them that they are perfect, and making the family be all about the child. It's the princess syndrome and it never ends up well.

16. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right! That is what grandparents are for. :thumbs:

17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL!!!!

What does the grandson call you and Madre? (Have I asked you that before?)

18. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nonnie and PopPop. You'll appreciate this. He'll be four in March. My wife walks by and he says, "Nonnie thundered past." PopPop says, "Big words for a little guy." He replies, "I'm given to hyperbole."

And for what it is worth he says Santa is a made up story but he likes it.

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I laughed out loud.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

Reminds me of one of my daughters, she would say the most grownup things when she was little.

When she was about four she was riding in a grocery cart as little children do. A lady stopped and said, My, you are so sweet, how old are you? Without batting an eye my daughter said matter-of-factly, Sixteen years old! :laugh:

Another time she was scribbling on a notepad when an older sister said, You can't write on that, that's Mom's notepad!

She stood up, raised her hands and said, Hey, what's the problem??

Kids are wonderful.

#20 Winman, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013