1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I am leaving the Politics Forum

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I plan to continue the discussions because I think it's important for Christians to discuss these issues even if we don't always agree and sometimes get a bit intense about it. There has been much worthwhile debate in this forum and, at the very least, even if no one changes their positions it does cause us to strengthen our convictions of our positions. I certainly would prefer to discuss politics with here than on some of the open forums where things really can get nasty. If a person reaches the point where they believe they can not contribute meaningfully to the discussions or can not control their expressions then they should take a break or bow out all together. We should be reasonable enough to moderate ourselves with an occasional reminder by the administrators when necessary.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

They are called conservatives, not Republicans. The two words have nothing to do with each other.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It has nothing to with being able to take the heat or contribute something? How can anyone have a meaningful debate with any substance when the other person thinks there is this huge gulf between the Republicans and Democrats? They both run huge, bloated governments. Both interfear with the markets and peoples lives. Both are in it for the power and self indulgence, and neither gives a hoot about serving the American people or governing this country as the Constitution was meant it to be run.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

:laugh:

I think we've heard something like this before.

5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Perhaps not everyone completely agrees with you? I certainly agree government is "out of control" especially relative to the original intents of the Constitution. I certainly agree both major parties have contributed to that. However, I still see considerable differences between them and side with the Republican point of view - at least in principle - on most issues. My greatest dissappointment with Republicans is their failure to stand firm, be aggressively conservative, and yield to "getting along" and "compromise".

#25 Dragoon68, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
  6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

How can anyone have a meaningful debate with any substance when the other person thinks there is no difference between the Republicans and Democrats?

7. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I'm not a fool. If you and all the other Republican extremists here don't want to have a higher level discussion I won't do it. It's not a one sided thing you know. Try being a little nicer to people.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You have got to be kidding.

9. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Get lost.........................................................

10. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Are you implying equality between "Republicans", "extremists", low "level discussion", being "one sided", and not being "nicer" to people?

Consider instead that we are very convicted that Republican principles are much more correct for the long term well being of our nation and are, conversely, convicted that the Democrat principles, such as those presently being implemented by the Congress and White House, are bringing about some of the greatest mistakes of modern times and may well lead to our ultimate downfall.

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Okay.

Republican extremist? I am not a Republican at all, much less a Republican extremist. I have repeatedly said that. I have repeatedly condemned the Republicans for their wild big government habits and their failure to stand on principle. If you want a higher level discussion, start by reading what has already been said, and be honest with other people's views.

12. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Do you read the post that you're replying to? Just wondered.

13. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Does that mean that professing Christians can't hace respectful debates on the issues?

14. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Well, there are still some Republicans who are conservative. For example, the uber-conservative Ron Paul still puts an (R) after his name.

I think you have a tendency to broad-brush a tad too much on this issue.

#34 Andy T., Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
  15. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

No it does not mean they can't have respectful debate nor respect one another but it may mean they will not reach agreement and will disagree strongly just as you and I do on many issues.

16. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I am a very conservative Republican. I make no apology for it!

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a Republican - I am a member of the (New York) Conservative Party

BTW, Ron Paul is a RINO - he really is a Libertarian

18. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I think the real reason Ken is leaving the politics forum is that he is so ashamed that he supported Obama and he realizes that his fiscal and monetary policies are so far left even KenH is embarrassed by them. He wants to get out before he is embarressed and distressed any further by Obama's futile attempts to cut the deficit in half by spending more money than any president in history. Maybe Ken is coming to his senses finally and sees that jumping on the Obama bandwagon wasnt a very smart thing to do. But he'll come back. He always does.

19. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Republican......I was raised by a good Christian Father, a Zell Miller type Democrat who was against abortion, gay marriage, higher taxes, and bigger government. He would not be a Democrat if he were still on this earth.....it would break his heart to witness the demise of his party.

20. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Actually, maybe it is because the forum has become flooded with childish posts under the guise of wanting debate. Calling the President names like "Odrama", "O'bama" (is he Irish?), Zero, etc.; talking about his "terror on the unborn" and "commie buddies" serves no purpose in a legitimate debate. It is merely a use of the logical fallacy of poisoning the well. Such posters will rail at this, but you don't get meaningful debate by such tactics. The forum is now a place where repeatedly this happens. Lots of things are against the rules here, but apparently such immature tactics are fine. Which is also okay, because the posters clearly identify themselves as incapable of engaging in any type of mature dialogue on the issues.

Sad really. We could have a place where we could discuss and learn about viewpoints other than our own, but it is a place of character assassination and infantile quarrelling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.