1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"I ascribe my change wholly to God."

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by steaver, Nov 25, 2015.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are there any non Cals here who do not believe Salvation is All of God? Calvinist appear to have this notion that if you believe you had a freewill choice to accept or reject Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior then somehow God had no part in the process.

C.H. Spurgeon said this...

"The thought struck me, How did you come to be a Christian? I sought the Lord. But how did you come to seek the Lord? The truth flashed across my mind in a moment—I should not have sought Him unless there had been some previous influence in my mind to make me seek Him. I prayed, thought I, but then I asked myself, How came I to pray? I was induced to pray by reading the Scriptures. How came I to read the Scriptures? I did read them, but what led me to do so? Then, in a moment, I saw that God was at the bottom of it all, and that He was the Author of my faith, and so the whole doctrine of grace opened up to me, and from that doctrine I have not departed to this day, and I desire to make this my constant confession, "I ascribe my change wholly to God."

I say AMEN!!!! Calvinist seem to think they are the only ones who can make such a confession. I can fully confess "I ascribe my change wholly to God". Are there any here who cannot?

• Like Like x 2
  2. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has God done this (what Spurgeon has described) for ever single person who has ever lived?

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a strange caricature of both Arminianism and Calvinism.
    A belief that God has no part to play in salvation would be a strange and extreme form of Pelagianism. The difference between Calvinism and Arminianism is that between Monergism - 'all of God'- and Synergism - 'God does His bit and we do ours.'

BTW, you are aware, are you, that C. H. Spurgeon was a five point Calvinist?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

When one believes faith to be an innate ability, and that one need only exercise that innate, inherent ability, then the logical conclusion becomes clear. Faith then becomes that which clinches the new birth, and is not properly seen as evidence of salvation, but the cause of salvation.

One can make statements that it was 'all of God' (not directed at the OP as I am not aware of the details of his soteriological system) and many statements of faith there are, but these statements are only validated, or invalidated by what is actually taught when one elaborates upon said statement of faith.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I see salvation in the scriptures as regeneration/born-again. Having a "said" faith does not save. Being drawn or convicted by the Holy Spirit to call upon Jesus Christ is not having been saved. Ye must be born again. The only way to be born again is to receive Jesus Christ by calling upon Him from a broken and contrite heart asking God to save.

As far as Calvinism, I reject the premise that all who are not fully Arminian are then somehow a Calvinist, even if only 1 point. One is either a Calvinist by all 5 pts or not a Calvinist at all.

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with all that. Your point is?

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THAN YOU for pointing that out! Thumbsup