1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Challenge You

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by StephenH, Jan 26, 2008.

1. StephenH

StephenH New Member

There are 40 million Baptists in the USA and even more people that claim to be Christians.

The Mormon church is putting us to SHAME. They support Mitt Romney with a cultish drive, but we can't seem to agree on anything.

We are letting Huckabee run out of money! He doesn't even have enough to compete in Florida!

What is wrong with this picture? Come on people. Let's put our wallets/time where our faith is.

Go to Mike's website. Donate money. Donate time. Make phone calls for him. Let's see your faith!

If every Baptist/ Christian gave a few dollars to Huck, money would never be an issue again.

Go give and report back.

Stephen
    http://www.huckabeetruth.com

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the number of Baptists is inflated, based on the way the SBC reports 15-16 million. The real number is probably 50-60% of that figure.

That's probably because they are a cult. When you're in a cult, the leadership tell you what to believe so you don't have to worry too much about thinking for yourself.

That happens when you have independent-minded Baptists thinking for themselves.

Since I don't support Huckabee, I'm not too concerned about it. Just because he's a Baptist doesn't mean I have to be on board with his campaign. Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter and Al Gore are Baptists, but I didn't support their campaigns either.

Nothing is wrong with this picture. If we have faith in Mike Huckabee for President, we need to support him. If we don't, then we shouldn't. But we shouldn't make the error of confusing our faith in God and our Christian commitment with the Huckabee campaign.

In whom? Mike Huckabee?

I'd rather give to the candidate of my choice. For what it's worth, I don't think Romney will win the nomination, so I don't think you can cast this as a contest between the Mormon and the Baptist...

Did you know that John McCain attends North Phoenix Baptist Church and his wife and children are members there? Did you know that McCain claims to be born-again?

Huckabee doesn't have the right to claim that he is the church-going Christian Republican candidate.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

My religious views and my politics don't dictate that I support someone just because they are Baptist. Did you support Clinton and Carter with the same enthusiasm? Yeah...I didn't think so.

4. StephenH

StephenH New Member

I made my point.
    Er.. you two did.

5. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

For once I think we can agree on something. By the same token, gender and race shouldnt dictate who we vote for either, but I would venture to say that many women are voting for HC just on gender and many will vote for BO just on his race. If Roman Catholics voted that way RG may be our next POTUS.

6. Magnetic Poles

Indeed we are in agreement. See, you are right sometimes, brother! :wavey: :laugh:

Anyway, gender, religion, and race are not criteria on which to base hiring a President. That's a fact!

7. StephenH

StephenH New Member

Religion is an issue, and a big one!

Do you want the Mormon church dictating US policy?

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't agree with my former governor's policies. He comes across as a theocrat. I want him nowhere near the oval office, regardless of what his religion is.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Since when did a person's religious faith have anything to do with their qualifications for office?

Huckabee is a great preacher, but I don't think he is ready to be president.

Charles Stanley is a great preacher, but I would not support him for president. John MacArthur is a great preacher, but I would not support him for president.

Being a Christian, and a good preacher, does not mean that one is prepared to be President of the United States. There are certain qualifications a person needs to be president and, in my opinion, Huckabee is not there "yet" (though he maybe in a few years). In fact I do believe he would be a good vp for McCain or Romney.

==That is a false connection and a very unBiblical connection. No place in Scripture do we see a connection between faith and voting for Mike Huckabee. You are in danger of adding to Scripture (Pr 30:6, Rev 22:18-19). I advise you to take a deep breath, back away, and stop allowing politics to rule your faith.

==Since I don't support Huckabee I see no reason to do that.

10. Magnetic Poles

What a tired, worn out argument. Did the Pope dictate US policy under JFK? Did the President of the SBC tell Carter what to do?

Also, note this from Article VI:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==That is a old, tired, uninformed line. It is the same line people used against John Kennedy except then it was the Pope and the Catholic Church. It proved to be false then and, if Romney wins, it will prove to be false again.

Our founders put in place a system of checks and balances. They also established a government that would not dictate policy to religion (and visa versa). There is no chance that the Mormon Church could dictate US policy.

I think the fact that the kind of line you used is still being used is sad. It is sad because it shows a general misunderstanding of how government works and because it shows that serious people still believe in all sorts of conspiracy theories.

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Funny, we made almost the exact same statements at about the same time and neither copied from the other. :laugh: :wavey:

13. Magnetic Poles

You know what they say about great minds, eh Martin!

Stephen's fears are why we have the separation of state & church.

14. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Since never! Throughout history, ever since God began forming governments and rulers, He has chosen men and women from all sorts of false religions to rule, even over His own people at times.

I am excited to see who it is God chooses for our country for the next season. He could very well place an unbeliever such as Romney or Rudy in for us.

The important thing for the Christian is that they do not yoke themselves together with these unbelievers for we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ and we do not want such a black mark on our list of deeds.

God Bless! :thumbs:

15. Magnetic Poles

This nation rejected the idea of rulers empowered by divine right back in 1776. You need to catch up! :laugh:

Our leaders are chosen by "We the People".

16. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I said nothing of "divine right" .

God does use "We the People" for sure. He is the One who set this government up.

Sorry MP, but I believe God is still in control and not just simply watching to see what happens.

God Bless! :thumbs:

17. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Yeah. Did the Quakers dictate US policy when Nixon was president? Certainly not. Did the SBC dictate US policy when Bill Clinton was president? Ask Monica Lewinsky. Did the Masons dictate US policy when George Washington and Thomas Jefferson...............uh, lets not go there.:smilewinkgrin:

18. StephenH

StephenH New Member

Thanks for the help guys. You all are typical hypocritical Christians.

We deserve what we get.

19. Magnetic Poles

Because we disagree with you, we are hypocrites? Thanks brother. Sheesh.

Again, a prime example of why theocracy is antithetical to liberty and democracy. Thank God for the founding fathers wisdom in passing the First Amendment!

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your self-righteous condescension is unbecoming of a member of Christ's body.