1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Cor. 9:14 Paul quotes Jesus, but Jesus never said it...

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In I Cor. 9:14 Paul says:

"In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel."

However, as far as scripture as we know it, Jesus never made such a statement. So, how are we to view this quote from Paul?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wouldn't he be reiterating verses 7 - 12?

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had to look it up on biblegateway.com, but what about Luke 10 and Matthew 10?

#3 Scarlett O., Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me they are close, but not exactly the same shade of meaning. So, was Paul paraphrasing Jesus...or was he quoting from a source we no longer have? Or is it something else?

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think those two passages could be what Paul was quoting. "earning a living from the gospel" and "the worker is worth his wages" were similar to me.

Jesus was telling them to take no money or food, because the people they preached and stayed with would support them. We do that today, but by writing the preachers a personal check every month.

I think whether it's literally provided them with a home, food, or shelter or giving them the money to do so, it's all treating the worker (preacher of the gospel) worth his wage.