1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Corinthians 1

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do have our differences in doctrine and that is fine and well. But why do we claim to be of anybody other than Christ Jesus our Lord. Some are proudly Calvinists, some are called Arminians(which by the way is usually incorrect).

Is it necessary to define our doctrine by some mans name?
    Doesnt that weaken our position?

It most certainly is a schism that is against scripture.

Isnt all this division (i.e. I'm a Calvinist and your an Arminian) sinful?

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

No.

"For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it. For there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be recognized among you."

"They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us."

3. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

RevMitchel,

The short answer is, "no." The long answer? Keep reading.

Disagreement is inherent to theological study. Not everyone is going to agree. The whole of scripture is proof of that. What did Paul write to the Galatians?

Actually the book of Galatians was written to refute false teaching.

As theological study developed theological systems came into being. There are two major theological systems within the Christian church today: covenant (Reformed) theology and dispensational theology. Within these systems are hermenutical principles that are used to interpret scripture. The majority of Baptist's are in the dispensational camp. Disdain for labels are irrelevant. As someone told me long ago, "It is what it is." You may refuse to accept the label(s) that go along with your theologic system, but they apply nonetheless.

Reformed believers serve and follow Jesus Christ. Free will believers claim the same. You will also hear Reformed believers say they are students of John Calvin or St. Augustine. But they would invariably tell you that their allegiance to these great men of God are secondary to Christ. As for me, my acceptance of John Calvin's, Augustine's or Sproul's teachings are only relevant to the extent that they are faithful to scripture. Free will believers have their own teachers as well. I am sure they would say the same thing as I just did about their following these teachers.

You asked whether it weakens our position to use a mans name to define what we believe. If our faith was placed in that mans name, yes. But there has to be a way to categorize the different theologies within the Christian church. Let's be honest. Free will Christian's believe they are right other wise they wouldn't believe in the free agency of man. Reformed Christian's believe their view of God's sovereignty is faithful to scripture and that the free will side is wrong. Both will cite scripture as the authority for what they believe. Who is right? It depends on which side you ask.

So RevMitchel, labels do serve a helpful purpose. Are they ideal? No. It would be wonderful if all believers walked in theological unity. But that is not the reality.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Being a follower of someone or something is not necessarily bad, as long as they are not placed above following God himself. For example, there's nothing wrong with being an American, as long as it doesn't interfere with your spiritual life.

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Yes. I am of Christ. I am not Arminian, neither Calvinist. I am not of Paul. I am of Christ. I hold all the words of all men to the test of what Christ has already said. I do not place the Words of Christ in subjection to what men say. I am of Christ. To say I am anything else is a sin against my identity as a Christian, thus it is a reproach against the name of Christ.

6. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

No.

"For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it. For there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be recognized among you."

"They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us."
    </font>[/QUOTE]That was an extremely bad choice of proof-texting Scripture. They were both talking about the unsaved in the churches, especially 1 John 2:19.

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes. I am of Christ. I am not Arminian, neither Calvinist. I am not of Paul. I am of Christ. I hold all the words of all men to the test of what Christ has already said. I do not place the Words of Christ in subjection to what men say. I am of Christ. To say I am anything else is a sin against my identity as a Christian, thus it is a reproach against the name of Christ. </font>[/QUOTE]I understand what you're trying to say there Sal, but can you explain this passage?

1 Corinthians 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Why did some say that they were "of Christ"? Were they above the rest?

8. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

Actually, Jack, the 1 Corinthians passage is referring to believers. The 1 John passage is talking about unbelievers in comparison to believers. These passages are extremely relevant because they refer to differences of teaching, some true and some false that have divided people into different camps both within and without the church. This is what the OP was asking about.

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

My point included (but was not limited to) divisions because of people in the church who are unsaved. As Calvi pointed out, my quotes addressed both.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this passage the concern was that men were claiming to be of men rather than Christ. Differ in doctrine but we should all be of Christ, and in Christ. Not Calvin or Arminius.

And of course the text is very appropriate.

11. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

A good timely point indeed.

12. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Rev....but in your original post you were not seeking the interpretation of the passage. Here is what you wanted to know (and I quote):

Your question was answered;

Now you are offering commentary on the text. You totally leave out the fact that the Corinthian church was up to its ears in problems...sexual immorality, abusing the Lord's table, partiality etc. There is nothing inherently wrong with teachers of God's word. As I have said before, a bible teacher is only as relevant as he accurately divides the word of God.

Read my first reply to you.

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Yes. I am of Christ. I am not Arminian, neither Calvinist. I am not of Paul. I am of Christ. I hold all the words of all men to the test of what Christ has already said. I do not place the Words of Christ in subjection to what men say. I am of Christ. To say I am anything else is a sin against my identity as a Christian, thus it is a reproach against the name of Christ. </font>[/QUOTE]I understand what you're trying to say there Sal, but can you explain this passage?

1 Corinthians 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Why did some say that they were "of Christ"? Were they above the rest?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Only they were following a man's charisma contrary to the Doctrines of Christ.

Paul made the distinction of Who he was following in his doctrine. The others mentioned taught the Gospel, but added their opinion possibly and thereby the congregation became divided.

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Actually, Jack, the 1 Corinthians passage is referring to believers. The 1 John passage is talking about unbelievers in comparison to believers. These passages are extremely relevant because they refer to differences of teaching, some true and some false that have divided people into different camps both within and without the church. This is what the OP was asking about. </font>[/QUOTE]Don't think for a split second I John 1:9 is wriiten to unbelivers or even about unbelievers in comparison.

15. doulous

doulous New Member

Actually, Jack, the 1 Corinthians passage is referring to believers. The 1 John passage is talking about unbelievers in comparison to believers. These passages are extremely relevant because they refer to differences of teaching, some true and some false that have divided people into different camps both within and without the church. This is what the OP was asking about. </font>[/QUOTE]Don't think for a split second I John 1:9 is wriiten to unbelivers or even about unbelievers in comparison. </font>[/QUOTE]Sal - I know Calvibaptist (personally). He was referring to 1 John 2:19 as describing unbelievers. 1 John 1:8,9? Of course they are believers. I hate to speak for another, but Calvibaptist would agree with that.

16. epistemaniac

epistemaniac New Member

allegiance to Christ first... of course....

but... while we must always test all things, at the same time, we must remember that the Holy Spirit... God Himself... has given the church teachers...

1Co 12:28 And God has placed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, next, miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, managing, various kinds of languages."

Eph 4:10-12 The One who descended is the same as the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things. (11) And He personally gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, (12) for the training of the saints in the work of ministry, to build up the body of Christ,"

I have seen those who want to deny teachers, but they often fail to realize that they are themselves, in the very act of denying teachers are in fact trying to be teachers themselves, thus refuting their own position... this is not to say that we must follow teachers blindly.. of course not... but as in all things, balance is necessary

blessings,
    Ken