1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I.E. and AOL

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by HeDied4U, Nov 10, 2003.

1. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a question concerning the removal of I.E. from my computer, but first I need to preface my question with a little info...

I don't know if I've picked up a virus or what, but it seems like everytime I set out to explore the web with IE, there is "something" running in the background. Every now and then, I hear a beep, like my computer is trying to do something. I finally figured out that I can have my Windows Task Manager "on top," so to speak, to see what was going on. Well, when I'd hear the beeping, I'd look at the manager, and it would show that something called the Internet Explorer Dialer was running. Now I have no idea what the heck a dialer was trying to dial, so I'd click on it, then click on end process. That would stop the beeping for a while, but within 10 to 15 minutes, it's start to do it again.

I've tried deleting all my cookies, thinking maybe that was the source of the problem, but that didn't seem to do anything, except make it extremely difficult to log onto my favorite sites because I've wiped out all my saved passwords and such.

I've run all my virus programs and adware programs, and although I found no viruses, I did find a few adware items that I immediately removed.

So, here is my question. Since I connect to the internet via AOL, and can surf the web from AOL, would it be a good idea to just remove IE from my computer altogether? About the only reason I use IE anyway is because if I want to download a picture or a clip art graphic of some sort, it gets saved in either the 'gif' or 'jpeg' fomat, where when I save it through AOL, it gets saved in the 'art' format and it's difficult to get it to display when I want to view it later.

Any hints, info, comments, and whatever else you'd like to share will be, as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adam, you can most certainly uninstall IE, and should have no problem.

However, try this first: Start IE, then click on Tools, and Internet Options. In the new window, click on the tab at the top that says "Connections". Then check the option (around the middle) that says "Never dial".

If that doesn't work, you might try the "LAN Settings" button, and then check the option for "Automatically detect".

No guarantee either of those will fix your problem.

3. HeDied4U

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the information Don, but unfortunately it didn't do the trick (after all, you did say there was no guarantee lol).

I think, however, I may have found the problem. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed just for luck. I had a chat program called mIrc installed on my computer (i'm a huge chatter), that was a "new" version that I downloaded maybe a week or so ago. Anyway, I hadn't used it for a couple of days (maybe Saturday was the last day). Anyway, trying to make a long story short, I was still having the same problem this morning, so I thought maybe somehow a "rouge" program got installed on my computer, so I went to my control panel to delete it in case there was one there (it's happened before), and when I saw that the mirc program had last been used on 11-11-03, it got me to thinking, especially since I hadn't used it this morning. Well, still trying to make my long story short, I decided to delete the program, just to see what might happen. So far it's been so good. It's been about 40 to 45 minutes, and so far I haven't seen anything 'running' in the background (yes, I have my windows task manager up as I type).

So, I am really hoping that this takes care of it. If I have no problems after a day or two, then I'll know that that program was probably the source of the problem. I'll be keeping those fingers and toes crossed [​IMG] [​IMG]

God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG] [​IMG]

p.s. I guess from now on I'll be doing my chatting in an AOL chat room. There's always plenty at chatter going on there [​IMG]

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Bro. Adam there is something else you need to do now. I had ICQ before and it ran things all day.

Click on Start, Search, Files and Folders. Type in *.tmp and do a search of your hard drive. These are the temporary files kept on your computer after something like that has been running. DELETE these files and then empty your recycle bin.

I had 3,790 ICQ files the first time I did it. I use AOL's IM now and never have any temp files.

Diane

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (the amusing thing about that, Diane, is that AOL owns ICQ....)

6. HeDied4U

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :eek: :eek: YIKES!!! :eek: :eek:

226 of those little buggers were hiding on my 'C' drive. I'm happy to report that they no longer reside there woo-hoo!!

Thanks for the info Diane [​IMG]

God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG]

p.s. just to let y'all know, as of 12:49pm Chicago time (CST), I've yet to encounter any more problems. Here's to hoping we can put this in the "Case Closed" file :D You people are the best!!

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

BUT I use the AOL IM now and NEVER have any temp files. I use Bellsouth as my ISP tho...

Go Figure!
    Diane

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to hear it, Adam.

(Diane, AOL bought out ICQ because it was competition. However, at the time, it was more popular than AIM. AOL has slowly been incorporating some of the features that ICQ has been offering all along...with the ultimate goal that one day, ICQ will no longer be offered)

9. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Hey Adam!!

Just for fun, how did you get your Windows Task Manager to run "on top"? I have Win98SE and have SOMETHING running in the background, but I can't figure out what it is. I have tried all the usual "fixes", i.e., Control>Alt>Delete, and using msconfig, but I can't determine what's running.

I know SOMETHING is because I can hear it...and my computer clock loses time. I would love to know how to get something "on top" so I can see what's running all the time.

Thanks,
    CJ