1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I feel like reading the bible is totally senseless

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JimboJones, Nov 4, 2004.

1. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Matthew 18

19 Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.

Man, I dont get it anymore.
    How can Jesus say this? This would mean that when 2 christians pray
    for something that it will be done every single time! This is what Jesus says! But this is not the case. This means you cannot have any
    trust in the bible cause it's just words!
    You cannot put your trust in it cause it doesnt mean what it says. This is exactly what I mean! Jesus says it but somehow it doesn't work.
    How can we trust the bible when everything is so different, when nothing is the way it sounds? Then it's nothing but words!

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Jimbo, you're taking ONE VERSE and taking it out of context. You need to read the whole chapter. By taking one verse, one would get the idea that God is a vending machine: just put a request in the slot and pull the handle.

Sorry, you need to read the whole thing. I suggest you get yourself into a church bible study on a regular basis.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but you have 45 posts to date on this BB, and most of them are of you whining and complaining that you aren't getting "your way" in spiritual matters. You need to change your attitude, my brother.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Mt 17:20 So Jesus said to them, "Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.

JimboJones, please don't think I'm putting you down but after reading so many of your posts, it seems you don't have faith that God will answer your prayers and so .....

Sometimes God says no. We don't understand why healings don't occur in some wonderful people of God but then we don't see things from God's eye view! Who are we to know the outcome from a death or loss of a job? Only God sees things from beginning to end. When you finish a good book, you can go back and say 'So THAT'S why he wrote it that way!' and that's how our lives are with God.

Meanwhile, will you pray for me? I found a tiny lump in my breast and am very afraid. I won't have insurance until Dec. 1st and am asking God to not let it be cancer.

Diane

4. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

I'll pray for you,Diane. Does this mean you won't go to a doctor before Dec 1st???
    You have to have it checked!

As for having faith...
    my faith is so messed up it's hopeless.
    You see, I always misunderstand the bible. I cannot trust myself. I can't have faith in what I think is right cause I misunderstand the bible, it's so senseless. :(

5. danrusdad

danrusdad New Member

Jimbo,

The key to spiritual growth can be summed up in one word: obedience! Jesus said, "Why do you call me Lord, and don't do what I say?" (my paraphrase).

My pastor always puts it this way with newer Christians:

Read your Bible everyday! Obey the parts you do understand, and don't worry about the parts you don't understand. If you obey the parts you do understand, before long, you'll be understanding what you didn't understand!

A lot of wisdom in that statement! We have to grow sprirtually, just as we grow physically. We don't teach a toddler calculus, they have to learn the basics first. Sanctification is a process, not an instant thing. The most God-fearing Christians will tell you that they are still learning things about the Lord.

Remember the key: trust and obey!

6. Janosik

Janosik New Member

Frederick,

cheer up! Stop for a moment. Try to think about somebody else NOT YOURSELF for about 5 minutes. Then check out if you feel better. If not try again.

Diane,

get well soon!

Danrusdad,

What is sanctification. What do you mean by that?

7. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Jimbo,

As a Christian you are on a lifelong journey. This journey will entail growing in your faith and love for the Lord, through the power of the Holy Spirit. We can do nothing by ourselves,i.e. in our own strength. This is something which as Christians we commonly get wrong. We think we can do things on our own and we can't. We all need to learn to be more God dependent.

If you look at the Bible in its entirity then yes, it can be daunting, but please don't be put off. Try looking at the Bible as several different books by many different authors, which is in fact what it is. Don't forget that these authors were each inspired by God.

Have you thought of joining a Bible study group in your church? It is good to talk to other Christians about the Word and what you understand/do not understand about what you are reading. Have you also thought about structuring your daily devotionals by using daily reading helps such as Word for Today ( www.ucb.co.uk) Every Day With Jesus or Daily Bread? You may also find it helps to invest in a commentary to use while you are reading.

There are also many lovely people here who, I am sure, will be only too happy to help you with any queries you may have. Never be afraid to ask questions. It is how we all learn.

I hope these suggestions are of some help to you, and above all ...read prayerfully. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you in your readings.

God Bless

Sheila

8. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Jimbo,

My heart hurts for you. Your feeling of not getting what is in the Bible has frustrated you.
    Pray for wisdom from the Lord to be able to understand what the subject is and how you can relate it to your life. It takes patience.

God's ways and thoughts are higher than ours. I had someone tell me before that life is like a needlepoint in progress. While we are working on it, the thread seems messed up and the whole thing looks ugly. But God sees the other side where it is beautiful. When we pray, even with 2 or more, sometimes it is for things that we don't need or will hurt us later on in life. So God is giving us what we want but just sparing us from dealing with the bad stuff that might accompany it. I hope that I have helped you. I feel like I can not articulate on paper what my heart is feeling. Don't ever give up, Jimbo, PLEASE!!!

9. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I used to feel that way to JimboJones. I found for me the problem was what I was searching. I got frustrated when I was reading the Bible searching for religion, or because that was what I was supposed to do every day, or God wouldn't be pleased with me.

I have since learned how to simply be a child of God, and let Him love me. I have learned how to fall in love with Christ, and how to have an intimate relationship with Him. Now the Bible means so much more to me, than just religous doctrine.

Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you!

10. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Living Loved

By Wayne Jacobsen

The freedom to live loved comes from a heart-felt appreciation of these realities:
    </font>
    • You have a Father who loves you more than any other human being on this planet ever has or ever will.</font>
    • Nothing you can do today will make God love you any more, and nothing you can do today will make God love you any less.</font>
    • God is not disillusioned with you because he had no illusions about you to begin with.</font>
    • Because shame, guilt and condemnation have no role in helping you live in God’s life, he has removed them in Christ and does not manage them for your growth.</font>
    • He wants to make himself known to you daily and teach you how to recognize and follow his voice.</font>
    How do you 'get' these things, so that you can live in their reality each day without having to think about them?

First, ask God to teach you these things. He's the one that will show you the reality of these truths in the circumstances of your life. Be specific when you ask, because it helps focus your heart on what God is already doing in you.

Second, salt your mind with the Scriptures. Here are some passages you might want to meditate on. Don't just read them once or twice. Maybe read them over and over again for a few weeks until the reality becomes clear in your heart.
    </font>Third, watch for the fingerprints of God in your life each day. Notice things going on around you. Notice what is being said to you or things you're reading.

11. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

But I ask the holy spirit to explain it to me!
    I still dont get it. I simply have millions of questions. I have the most pedantic questions ever. Unless I understand everything completely I also cannot use it.
    It's terrible. :(
    And since I misunderstand and misinterpret the bible I cannot rely on anything. Look at healing for example. There are people which say God wants to heal everybody, others say it's not true. They both use the bible to support their views. When even scholars argue about the bible how should I be able to understand it? Thinking this is ridiculous.
    And besides this my faith is hardly good for anything anymore. I have been disappointed so often. I have tried to be healed and proclaimed and done all this stuff and I failed. I tried to believe as good as I could but it wasn't enough. My faith was not enough or I had too many doubts. I cannot do anything against these doubts. I guess I can forget about getting prayers answered.

12. Janosik

Janosik New Member

Frederick,

nobody can understand everything only God. So relax. Take a break. Stop thinking for awhile. Stop torturing yourself!
    When you step back it will allow you to have different point of view.

13. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Nah, you'll get prayers answered. I don't have answers, because I've been going through soem pretty bad dark spots lately, too. But I think that sometimes I've looked for answers in places they weren't, if that makes any sense.

The Bible says that even some of those present at Jesus' ascension to Heaven doubted. Doubt is normal. Doubt makes you think, search, and dig for answers. And you have plenty of faith. As far as figuring out the Bible, maybe a good place to start is by reading the Church Fathers.

Relax. Things stink sometimes because we are human and on this planet and that's just the way it works. One of the things, I guess, that happens when we go through stinky times is that we learn patience and perseverence.

Oh... and what Jano said, defintiely.

14. following-Him

Jimbo,

When one becomes a Christian one's life is transformed. Sometimes it is a very slow process. As a Christian you are embarking on a personal relationship with God. He knows and loves us as individuals. He knows all our needs and always provides for them. As a Christian we need to be constantly seeking God's will in our lives. Our focus turns away from our human nature and to God's will for us. For each of us this is going to be different. This process involves a lot of prayer and Bible reading. It is an ongoing process, lasting for the rest of an individual's life.

Prayer and Bible reading are never hopeless. They are how we develop a relationship with our Lord. Never, please never think that it is a waste of time because I can tell you from my experiences that it isn't.

When you became a Christian you acknowledged Christ's death on the cross for your sins. So did I. In that acknowledgement we surrender ourselves to Him, just as He surrendered Himself to the humiliation of torture and death that we might be free. That is how much God loves each one of us. Totally. He loves you now and although you may not realise it you are growing and learning. You have to learn to wait on Him. In His time, not ours. His timing is perfect.

Remember: He will never leave you or foresake you.

God Bless

Sheila

15. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Jimbo,
    No, don't forget about getting prayers being answered. Some people might be asking for a Mercedes when all they may be able to handel a bike. In James 4:3 it says that some people ask amiss.

Don't give up on prayer.... get knowledge and get established in the word. Look all the other "prayer" scriptures up and see all the different ways prayer was answered...how simple some prayers were answered (ie In Matthew 14:22-33~, Peter was sinking in the water and said "Lord, save me!". Thats all it took.... Peter was desperate and had no where to turn, but to Jesus). [​IMG]

16. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Jimbo,

Christ asked the disciples this, "What is it you seek"? They said, "Lord WHERE DO YOU DWELL"? He said, "Come follow me". All the disciples had questions all the time actually these questions in you cause you to thirst. So you say your thirsty right? (Have questions GOOD) Your in a great place though you do not see that at all. Theres a bit of a journey ahead of you His Word is our LIFE and yours is in it as well.

Heres where the Word tries our motives and purifies our minds and hearts as a fire, you seem to be feeling that. Both the fear of the Lord you expressed in another post validate you as in the "Begining of Wisdom" (Christ) now your confusion is driving you to get understanding because its THERE your thirst will be quenched and this water will flow from within you in time. Meanwhile continue only to seek His face alone, if that is what you are indeed seeking.

In my prayers Jimbo I've been right where you are now, don't think for a moment I have not been. It seems everyones words didn't reach me but I soon found out who was holding me and its the ONE you think is far away. The Lord is with you in this (though I know you don't believe me because I didn't believe it then either) But He is, its the inner work. Just continue to wash your mind in the truth of his words and you'll understand what I'm saying to you.

God Bless Jimbo

Seth3 (I'm here for you if you need me)

17. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Jimbo, I don't know if anybody asked you about your background. Were you raised with any type of "religious" training in your early years??

It seems that something has happened to your ability to believe. Where's that childlike faith that most of us grow up with?

I'm just trying to find out how we can help you.

Love in Jesus,

Tam [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    JimboJones,

Hi! it's the first time we met on this board. your topic got my curiosity, but did not get me surprised.

as for getting what you want, the truth is, it is not what you want that counts. it is what God wants. consider the thought of King Solomon: there are righteous men that suffer and evil men that live long and happy. there really is no patter as to what God will do to you in this lifetime in accordance to your obedience (or disobedience).

you might find inspiring words that say God answers prayers if you put faith in Him, while at the same time say that God may answer Yes, No, or Wait to your supplications. you might even be accused of not following God's will or that you do not understand what you are asking, and it may even get to the point that you will be doubted if you prayed for it by heart and with faith.

but then one good point would be: "But godliness with contentment is great gain." (I Tim. 6:6) think about this. claiming that God answers prayers, you then prayed for God's provision. in essence you are asking: "God, please satisfy me." yet a more matured prayer would be: "God, please teach me to be satisfied." true, God granted prayer for you to ask Him your desires. however, have you yourself thought of what attitude you should have? but then again frustrated desires are not always a loss. the Bible said that it is a gain in being godly and content.

as to why prayers are not answered, understanding of it may not always be clear. but as to feeling lost when your desires are not met, there are lots of principles to overcome this.

19. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Hi fellows.
    I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of replies which I'm getting. I don't know if I can answer everybody's questions.
    My problem is that I don't have this childlike faith. I'm too much a doubter. But I don't do this on purpose, this is simply how I am. I also have really obsessive doubts and I also ponder over really senseless hypothetical questions.
    Once I get such a question I have to think about it and cannot simply dismiss it. For example: If you could save the life of a sick person by selling all your posession would you do it?
    Or would you sacrifice and arm or a leg to save other people's lives?

These questions are really annoying and in most cases they even make me feel bad cause I dont think I would sacrifice an arm or a leg to save somebody else. And then I feel guilty and bad.

But I don't think that pills could solve this issue. I dont think it's only physical. I think it's also a spiritual problem and I needed deliverance but I dont know anybody who could do this. :(

20. following-Him

Jimbo,

You have had a lot of good advice and encouragement in the replies to your post. I really do hope they will help you.

Why not tell us a bit about yourself and how you came to the Lord? How old are you and what do you do, etc?

A text came to me earlier today which I hope you will also find helpful. It is from Proverbs:

Proverbs 3:5-6

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths".

The Lord has all the answers to all your questions and doubts if you will only look to Him and be patient as He reveals Himself to you.

God Bless

Sheila