1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I feel like reading the bible is totally senseless

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JimboJones, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

I agree with Sheila Jimbo, Besides remember doubting Thomas? Did Jesus say, "Forget him he doesn't believe"? No way right? Who said, "Lord help thou my unbelief"? Even HE does THIS. Causing you to put your trust in Him.

Your ok Jimbo your adding to much pressure to YOURSELF when its God who does the work within you. But you have to start "somewhere" now don't you? Even the disciples doubted but learned we do too until we reach the unity of the faith and full trust in God in our hearts. This doesn't happen all at once as we would like it to.

But your sufferings in this place will help YOU help OTHERS as they too will go through the same experience and from your suffering an overflow of comfort can come to them through the assurance you WILL HAVE. You can thus edify another through this internal struggle your sharing in at the present time as faith is born in you.

God bless

Seth3

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Also, allow the Holy Spirit to take over your worldly fears and the fruits of the Spirit will be given to you. Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Selfcontrol.

3. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Jimbo,

Sometimes something that is easy for someone to understand is NOT at all easy for another.

Take Statistics for example. Some people pick it up and have NO problems. I, on the other hand, managed to pass but to this day do not really understand them. But I know that they are real. If I continued to study them and learn more about them and practice the formulas it would make more sense. But I only needed that and College Algebra to count as my maths so I didn't take anymore.

It could be like that with the Bible. You might need more study than another to understand certain aspects. But don't give up.

4. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Diane, how is this supposed to happen? I have had fears nearly my whole life! I am the kind of person which could go to the psychologist every week for the rest of his life and still nothing would be okay.
    No psychologist in the world could solve my problems.I have been to a psychologist a few years ago and it didn't help me. He only told me what I already knew.
    I needed inner healing. I wish the holy spirit would just heal me with his love. I did everything which I could. I went to a conference and spent a lot of money cause I thought I would get the holy spirit and leave as a new person but nothing happened, at least I didnt notice anything.This was very disappointing. It simply drags me down when I hear teachings and when people say how keen the holy spirit is on healing us wiht his love. This makes me feel like I'm the last idiot! I need the holy spirit so bad but in my case nothing happens. And others talk about him and say that he wants to heal is so bad. It sounds like he cannot heal us cause we don't want to. But I want to and my problems are still there, this upsets me so much and it drags me down so much. Also when they say that Jesus is there when you've got bad times. I don't feel Jesus when I'm desparate, I feel nothing. I feel like he's not there but others talk about how Jesus is there. You see, this is something I cannot understand. It makes me feel like I'm a 2nd class christian and this saddens me. :(

@ followhim

I'm 23.
    My family is atheistic. Basically I became a believer after having problems and I knew that only God could help me. I always thought there might be a God and so I prayed to him and God helped me. This was the day when I realized I've been really bad my whole life. From this day on I felt really good cause I knew that there is a God and I knew he's nice.
    But I didn't really think much about it, I didnt even knew if this made me a christian. But then one day I emailed with a non-christian and he told me to read the bible! He said Ezekiel was a cool story so I bought a bible and this is how it started. One day I also gave my life to Jesus after finding a sinner's prayer on the net but I cannot really remember when it happened.
    But it didn't take long for my obsessive doubts to arrive. It began with doubting my own faith. I had days when I felt like I don't believe anymore. I felt like God is gone and I didn't know what would happen if I died on such a day where I'm confused. When I have such days I am totally paralyzed and cannot focus on anything else. I cannot study or do something productive cause these issues have to be solved before I can focus on other things.
    I have a few friends on the net but in real life I have no friends. I have no car and the only churches in my town are run by the state, they are dead. The christians there are most likely not even born again, I dont know.This is my problem. Without a car you can forget it.
    Oh yes, and my life is pretty messed up cause I studied 2 courses and quit both of them. :(
    I simply cannot stand pressure. And now I'm studying sociology and it's also not a good thing cause you have to read atheistic stuff and deal with people like Marx which were atheists.
    I am scared this might affect my faith. I become confused so easily. I am really scared that I might lose my faith or suffer from their atheistic opinions. I dont want to read or understand how these atheists thought and how they saw the world. I doesnt interest me. This is like poison to me. But I have no chance. My father told me this is my last chance. If I quit again he'll throw me out. :(
    I always wanted to know God's will for my life.If only I knew what I should do. Only God knows where I can be happy in life.

5. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

(((((((((((JIMBO)))))))))))

6. JesusInFirstPlace

JesusInFirstPlace New Member

Jimbo~

I don't claim to be a spiritual giant or anything, but I would love to help you out!

First of all, you have said that lyou are doubting your faith, and that you don't now what would happen if you died on a day when you are confused. Well the Bible is clear that once you are saved, you can NEVER get unsaved. And no one can take your salvation from you either! Some of my favorite verses on this topic are Romans 8:35-39 (talking about how nothing can separate us from Christ's love. He loves you SO much, even when you are doubting!!). Then there's I John 5 (talking about knowing that you are God's child, and loving God, and having confidence in Him).

Another thing to try and remember is that you can't know and understand everything about God. We have finite minds, so we cannot fully understand how infinite God is. And none of us has perfect faith. After all, even the apostles said "Lord, increase our faith" in Luke 17:5.

But that doesn't mean no one can have faith! The Bible says in Romans 10:17 that faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. So I stress to you the importance of studying God's Word, and asking him (because James 1:5 says if you lack wisdom then ask it of God, who gives wisdom to all men liberally) to increase your faith.

And as far as your studying goes, it seems to me like you are placing yourself in a dangerous position. Studying the atheistic philosophy will not further your walk with God (at all!). And it is definitely not a good idea. But I can't tell you what to do- I don't know what you should do. But it is an important decision that you must make- how and what to spend your life studying. And I will pray for you that you will make the right decision, and find God's will for your life.

Just remember that most of us have been there too- I remember talking to my Pastor's wife about how my "analytical mind" was making it hard for me to have faith that I was indeed saved. But she asked me if there was ever a time when I truly believed and accepted Christ. And I said yes, but I didn't feel like I was saved now. And she quoted Jeremiah 17:9 (the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked...). And salvation doesn't depend on feelings.

There are going to be some times when you don't feel saved, but those are the times when it is more important than ever that you read your Bible and pray to God. Because he is there, and he hears you, and he loves you. Whether you feel like it or not.

7. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

@ JesusInFirstPlace

You're not telling me anything new. Like I said I have NO choice! My parents will throw me out if I don't study this cause it's my last chance! :(
    I simply applied for all kinds of courses and I never would have chosen sociology if I had had a free choice but I had to apply for everything possible.

I know that faith comes from hearing the word but this doesn't help me cause I still get doubts! I dont even know what the bible says! Take Isaiah 53:5 for example. Everybody has a different opinion about it! Some say it means we wil be healed others say it doesn't. So what shall I believe? How can I have faith in something the bible says when it's not even clear what the bible really means?
    I tried to be healed, it didn't work. I read in a book from Hagin that you simply have to accept your healing. I did that. I accepted it. I threw away my medicine as a proof to myself that I really believe cause I was already becoming kind of insecure. And then I sat at home and my symptoms did not go away. It became worse. I was attacked by doubts, I didn't know what to think. I asked myself if I did something wrong. I asked myself if I ruined it. I had no idea if I was still on track or not. It was terrible. I couldn't stand the pressure anymore and gave up and went to the doc. It was really terrible, this pressure was insane. I thought that God wanted to heal me right on the spot but because of my doubts I messed it up. I felt so bad.I cannot try this again. If I had had a christian who could have helped me in this time, who could have encouraged me then maybe it would have worked but I was all alone and had no clue what was going
    on.I really dont want to do something like this again cause as soon as I know that I have to believe something and must not doubt something I can already feel the pressure arise once again. I dont want this pressure again.I am simply scared of failing and this fear already makes me fail.It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. I am scared and my faith is not strong.And when I ask for something I already think about what I'm going to do if it doesn't work. I already think about how I'll react if it doesn't work. This is not normal. It straps me off all the privileges which I have as a christian. Prayer is a mighty weapon but I'm paralyzed by doubts and fears and cannot really use it.

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dear JimboJones,
    Sorry to hear your having such a tough time.Sometimes that's the surest sign your saved. If you were'nt saved he would have nothing to attack.
    As for prayer, pray. Answers are yes,no,later now is not the right time.
    Stay on the board and fellowship we will talk,work and pray with and for you.
    Please read the Gospel of John 1st.Then read Romans.
    If you can add E-Sword to your computer, it's free.Just go in your search window and type e-sword then hit search. Select e-sword and read the instructions to download.
    I don't know your mother toungue but E-sword probably has a Bible in your language and that should be helpful.There are also many other Bible helps on that site for you to use free.
    Read "What the Bible teaches " by R.A. Torrey, that should help.

Dianne sorry to hear about your problem I will pray for you right after I finish this.
    Jimbo Jones God bless you and your journey.

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member