1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I got caught !

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by GospelExplained.com, Jul 12, 2006.

1. GospelExplained.com

GospelExplained.com New Member

Up to now I have never been caught by an email scam.
    This one is really clever - I am unsure if it was a scam (I changed my passwords very quickly), but it extracted some info from me, and may have the ability to charge/empty a paypal account, etc.

Anyway, I got an email from somebody saying that they wanted to talk to me by IM, with an official looking html email "from" Yahoo.

I then clicked the email link (very bad) and started typing in my username and password for a email/IM service. THEN I realised that paypal uses email addresses as user sign in, and my paypal password (as probably many people use as well) WAS the same as my email password.

Hence if one in a hundred people did what I did, they would have a very successful response rate/scam. Or at minimum get access to my email account to search for info.

I decided to send a reply email, to make initial contact. As they may have been genuine. I never received a reply. So it certainly had the potential to be a scam, - or they wanted to talk to me, to sell me something.